German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD Rescue with bad anxiety

701 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  my boy diesel 
#1 ·
Hi there,

About 2 months ago we found a GSD on the streets 20 pounds under weight and covered with ticks. Already having 2 dogs (Husky & Aussie) and not being able to let this poor dog not have a good life we decided to keep him. When we first got him he used to just shake and tremble and stare at the wall, it happened more so when we were in the kitchen. The 1st time we left him alone, I actually took my aussie with me (male and the oldest) and left the husky and he ended up eating every blind we have in the house. We then locked him in a room (again without the aussie) and he ate the door panels. After that we didn't leave for long periods of time and just let him roam and he did fine as long as my aussie was there. Now besides that when we first got him he was hopping our fence, so we would stay out there with him to make sure he didn't and also put a piece of wood on top of the gate to make it taller and then he no longer hopped the fence. Everything was going well he gained weight, even started to come in the kitchen when we were cooking and even started taking treats in the kitchen. Then about a week ago when my boyfriend left him (luckily he usually works from home) we noticed he was up against the window and the next day he ate through our screen door and hopped the fence. The day after that I was cooking with the door open and he hopped the fence again. Then we both left for work and he ate through our kitchen window screen and hopped the fence. Luckily we have been able to find him and live on a col de sac so he does not go very far but I don't know why he was doing so well and then not. He is starting to act anxious again and shiver when we are home as well.

- I walk him for 30 minutes before I leave
- I play ball/tug of war with him in the backyard
- I leave cartoons on when I do leave
- I have been making sure my aussie is home with him
- When we do leave for long periods, they are let out every 2-3 hours by a family member.
- I have been thinking about getting a thunder shirt, getting a toy that will reward him when were gone (although he is not too interested with food) and starting an obedience/agility/scent work class with him.
- The vet recommended medication as a last resort, but I really do not want to put him on any medications.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this, or if anyone has any extra ideas. I was also wondering since he was doing so well and then not so abruptly if it could be PTSD or something like that?

Thank you!

See less See more
#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.