German Shepherd Bitch seriously out of control......Need Advice thanks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default German Shepherd Bitch seriously out of control......Need Advice thanks

Hi everyone,

I am a new member in the UK. I have a gogeous GSD Bitch with serious deep seeded behavioural issue. I am her third owner and I have over 20 years experience with GSDs and I am at a point now where I have 3 options

1) Three months intensive behaviour therapy by myself if this doesnt work my vet has agreed the kindest thing would be to put my girl to sleep.

2) Rehome to German Shepherd Rescue if there is space giving them all her history that i know of.

3) My Behaviour therapy works and in three months I have a dog I can keep permanently.

4 years ago I took in Brody as her owner couldnt cope and with my experience of GSDs I thought i could cope I am her third owner. All was ok then 2 years ago my health changed drastically, after several weeks in hospital I came home and hired a dog walker. I found out that Brody had cancererous lump and it was removed successfully, to this date no signs of cancer. 14th January this year I had followup surgery and was in hospital for a week, came home and in the past 5 weeks since my surgery the behaviour in 2 dogs seriously deteriorated, suffering from seperation anxiety. I have tried everything I can think of and the behaviour was much improved until yesterday when i reintroduced all 4 dogs to one room. I came home to find diahreah all over the floor. This morning i came down to find that brody had destroyed her bed, it was a brand new bed.

I have just returned from the vets with the dog with diahreah explained all thats been going on and the vet has agreed I have tried everything and if brody's behaviour doesnt improve in 3 months or if i havent found her a place with GSD rescue that the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep. Obviously i am devastated about this but we cannot carry on as we are. Life is misreable for adults and all 4 dogs. I admit due to my health i havnt been able to get brody out as much as i wouldve liked but today and henceforth she will get 1 hour run off lead at 7am as she is antisocial to other dogs and a 20 lead walk at night. Brody will now be left on her own when adults out of house with a kong and treats stuffed inside and radio on. The other 3 are together.

Sorry for such a long post but any advice would be greatly recieved, thank you for reading.

anne
Annie2320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry that you having to deal with serious health issues. Hope you are getting well.

Now for Brody, I'm confused what the deep-seated behavioral issues are? So far, unless I'm missing something, we have:
a) diarrhea, and
b) dog destroyed dog bed.

I think I'm missing something, because it seems that you have found a good solution (keep her separated from the other dogs, with a kong to keep her busy), and you have increased her daily exercise. - exactly what I would have suggested for a dog that suddenly started to be destructive.

I don't see how any of this is grounds for euthanasia? If you are worried that she may harm the other dogs, then doing what you are doing now, or finding her a new home would be workable solutions, and should not be a death sentence.

Another question is what are your goals for the next three months? What behaviours are you wanting to change and how do you plan to go about that?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

using a crate properly could help with some of this
my boy diesel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

investigate Bach flower remedies , Rescue , Ipatiens, Walnut .

I have seen it used in a vet clinic when a dog was brought in, injured , and not by the owner - the dog was struck by a vehicle. The vet gave the dog a few drops under the tongue and the dog relaxed , and made handling the situation that much more easy.
There are people who use Rescue for car sickness, thunder storm fright, Impatiens for separation anxiety , Walnut said to be good also.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Upping her exercise, and giving her a quiet spot of her own sounds like it will solve everything - but I'm also confused as to what "everything" is. What exactly does your vet think is wrong with her? Getting the runs, or being destructive just goes along with the territory of dog ownership, IMO. Stuff happens.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Hi Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry that you having to deal with serious health issues. Hope you are getting well.

Now for Brody, I'm confused what the deep-seated behavioral issues are? So far, unless I'm missing something, we have:
a) diarrhea, and
b) dog destroyed dog bed.

I think I'm missing something, because it seems that you have found a good solution (keep her separated from the other dogs, with a kong to keep her busy), and you have increased her daily exercise. - exactly what I would have suggested for a dog that suddenly started to be destructive.

I don't see how any of this is grounds for euthanasia? If you are worried that she may harm the other dogs, then doing what you are doing now, or finding her a new home would be workable solutions, and should not be a death sentence.

Another question is what are your goals for the next three months? What behaviours are you wanting to change and how do you plan to go about that?
I second this.. I'm a bit confused, I feel like there's more to the story that we are missing..

Whitney

Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
Gulf Coast Search and Recovery
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Yeah, I'm confused as well... Has the dog bit someone before in a viscous attack ? Does she see you as the leader ? What's the point of putting a healthy dog down. My health suffered in 2006. It took years to get to this point in my health, I coded, so I was gone and returned, 10% return..

Please answer some of the questions, if the dog is bored to death, that's not a reason and I would like to know the discussion in detail with the vet

Out of control is not a clear picture .............
sehrgutcsg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

What are the serious behavioral issues? What have you tried so far?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

So the behavioral issues are
1) sep anxiety
2) destroying bed
3) the dreaded runs,

I have dealt with many cases of the dreaded runs and honestly they really cant help it, no one wants to have the runs
the other issues i am sure can be easily helped with some guidance and re direction.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry to hear about your medical issues. I hope you get well.
Wow , you must have had some pretty good dogs to think this one is out of control. Maybe she is sick.
My 12 month old was left alone last week for 10 hours unexpectedly. He tore all the stuffing and wood from my sons work out bench, Cost me $150 to buy a new one. It was my fault for leaving him alone so long. I dont think hes out of control...lol..
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.