German Shepherds Forum banner

German Shepherd Bitch seriously out of control......Need Advice thanks

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Annie2320 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a new member in the UK. I have a gogeous GSD Bitch with serious deep seeded behavioural issue. I am her third owner and I have over 20 years experience with GSDs and I am at a point now where I have 3 options

1) Three months intensive behaviour therapy by myself if this doesnt work my vet has agreed the kindest thing would be to put my girl to sleep.

2) Rehome to German Shepherd Rescue if there is space giving them all her history that i know of.

3) My Behaviour therapy works and in three months I have a dog I can keep permanently.

4 years ago I took in Brody as her owner couldnt cope and with my experience of GSDs I thought i could cope I am her third owner. All was ok then 2 years ago my health changed drastically, after several weeks in hospital I came home and hired a dog walker. I found out that Brody had cancererous lump and it was removed successfully, to this date no signs of cancer. 14th January this year I had followup surgery and was in hospital for a week, came home and in the past 5 weeks since my surgery the behaviour in 2 dogs seriously deteriorated, suffering from seperation anxiety. I have tried everything I can think of and the behaviour was much improved until yesterday when i reintroduced all 4 dogs to one room. I came home to find diahreah all over the floor. This morning i came down to find that brody had destroyed her bed, it was a brand new bed.

I have just returned from the vets with the dog with diahreah explained all thats been going on and the vet has agreed I have tried everything and if brody's behaviour doesnt improve in 3 months or if i havent found her a place with GSD rescue that the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep. Obviously i am devastated about this but we cannot carry on as we are. Life is misreable for adults and all 4 dogs. I admit due to my health i havnt been able to get brody out as much as i wouldve liked but today and henceforth she will get 1 hour run off lead at 7am as she is antisocial to other dogs and a 20 lead walk at night. Brody will now be left on her own when adults out of house with a kong and treats stuffed inside and radio on. The other 3 are together.

Sorry for such a long post but any advice would be greatly recieved, thank you for reading.

anne

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry that you having to deal with serious health issues. Hope you are getting well.

Now for Brody, I'm confused what the deep-seated behavioral issues are? So far, unless I'm missing something, we have:
a) diarrhea, and
b) dog destroyed dog bed.

I think I'm missing something, because it seems that you have found a good solution (keep her separated from the other dogs, with a kong to keep her busy), and you have increased her daily exercise. - exactly what I would have suggested for a dog that suddenly started to be destructive.

I don't see how any of this is grounds for euthanasia? If you are worried that she may harm the other dogs, then doing what you are doing now, or finding her a new home would be workable solutions, and should not be a death sentence.

Another question is what are your goals for the next three months? What behaviours are you wanting to change and how do you plan to go about that?

#6 ·
Hi Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry that you having to deal with serious health issues. Hope you are getting well.

Now for Brody, I'm confused what the deep-seated behavioral issues are? So far, unless I'm missing something, we have:
a) diarrhea, and
b) dog destroyed dog bed.

I think I'm missing something, because it seems that you have found a good solution (keep her separated from the other dogs, with a kong to keep her busy), and you have increased her daily exercise. - exactly what I would have suggested for a dog that suddenly started to be destructive.

I don't see how any of this is grounds for euthanasia? If you are worried that she may harm the other dogs, then doing what you are doing now, or finding her a new home would be workable solutions, and should not be a death sentence.

Another question is what are your goals for the next three months? What behaviours are you wanting to change and how do you plan to go about that?
I second this.. I'm a bit confused, I feel like there's more to the story that we are missing..

#4 ·
investigate Bach flower remedies , Rescue , Ipatiens, Walnut .

I have seen it used in a vet clinic when a dog was brought in, injured , and not by the owner - the dog was struck by a vehicle. The vet gave the dog a few drops under the tongue and the dog relaxed , and made handling the situation that much more easy.
There are people who use Rescue for car sickness, thunder storm fright, Impatiens for separation anxiety , Walnut said to be good also.

#5 ·
Upping her exercise, and giving her a quiet spot of her own sounds like it will solve everything - but I'm also confused as to what "everything" is. What exactly does your vet think is wrong with her? Getting the runs, or being destructive just goes along with the territory of dog ownership, IMO. Stuff happens.

#7 ·
Yeah, I'm confused as well... Has the dog bit someone before in a viscous attack ? Does she see you as the leader ? What's the point of putting a healthy dog down. My health suffered in 2006. It took years to get to this point in my health, I coded, so I was gone and returned, 10% return.. :D

Please answer some of the questions, if the dog is bored to death, that's not a reason and I would like to know the discussion in detail with the vet

..:blush:

Out of control is not a clear picture ............. :help:

#10 ·
So sorry to hear about your medical issues. I hope you get well.
Wow , you must have had some pretty good dogs to think this one is out of control. Maybe she is sick.
My 12 month old was left alone last week for 10 hours unexpectedly. He tore all the stuffing and wood from my sons work out bench, Cost me $150 to buy a new one. It was my fault for leaving him alone so long. I dont think hes out of control...lol..

#11 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. My health issues are i suffered a subarachnoid heamorrage 2 years ago and 5 weeks ago I underwent further surgery to correct another brain anerysm. I no longer have the strength I once had but I am trying my best. Brody's issues are:

1) she has undergone some serious abuse while a puppy I know very little about this but at one time she was also a stray, she is very insecure because of this and very nervous, she howls at the slightest noise that is out of the ordinary. If someone knocks on the door she goes "off her head". My other dogs are nervous wrecks and its one of the other dogs that has constant diahrea, he has undergone loads of medical tests all came back negative so it must be stress related.

2) Brody has destroyed 2 leather sofas, rather than crate her she has the whole kitchen and everytime she is left I have to make sure there is nothing in reach otherwise she will destroy it. I did leave all the dogs in the kitchen together but that has become a risk to them as i have noticed lesions on one dogs ears and occasional limping. So for safety reasons i now keep them seperated from Brody. I leave her kongs, raggers and the radio on and so far so good but its early days. What works today might not work tomorrow, i am basing this on past experience.

3) I dont think its possible to rehome her to just anyone hence if i cant get her adopted by a GSD rescue, i cannot keep her like this indefinately its making me ill (I am not supposed to be suffering from stress and obviously all of this is very stressfull, i try to not let her see my stress) and I have spoken to several rescue centres and one said that they would consider all of this to be classed as a crisis. They suggested i contacted GSD rescue of which there are several and i have to go down a list one at a time. If that doesnt work I can contact them again and they might be able to help further.

4) Euthanasia would be an absolute last resort, i love this dog very very much and I am devastated that i am in this position, but it would be kinder than rehoming her to the wrong place where her problems will be intensified as I know that she loves me very much. The vet said given all of the above 3 months is realistic time frame and that under these circumstances they would take the drastic action, i am hoping it doesnt come to that.

I hope i have made the situation clearer.

Anne

#12 · (Edited)
1) she has undergone some serious abuse while a puppy I know very little about this but at one time she was also a stray, she is very insecure because of this and very nervous, she howls at the slightest noise that is out of the ordinary. If someone knocks on the door she goes "off her head". My other dogs are nervous wrecks and its one of the other dogs that has constant diahrea, he has undergone loads of medical tests all came back negative so it must be stress related.

2) Brody has destroyed 2 leather sofas, rather than crate her she has the whole kitchen and everytime she is left I have to make sure there is nothing in reach otherwise she will destroy it. I did leave all the dogs in the kitchen together but that has become a risk to them as i have noticed lesions on one dogs ears and occasional limping. So for safety reasons i now keep them seperated from Brody. I leave her kongs, raggers and the radio on and so far so good but its early days. What works today might not work tomorrow, i am basing this on past experience.
1. That could be trained, because such behaviour caused by anticipation and excitement. First of all ignore her barks and howls yourself, avoid high pitched tones in speaking, aquire low, serious intonations. Ask the person who enters to never look at her, not even askance, but talk in a calm slow voice facing only you. If he can feed her with prepared treats (be careful how he gets them, better to leave treats outside your front door) - it would be a token of your future success, she would start anticipating something friendly. If your dog was abused, she wouldn't be agressive towards any person, only those who look like and smell like her attackers. Try to figure out the type and train separately.
2) Signs of separation anxiety, which could have developed during your hospitalization. She needs a vet and medication, there's no other way out of it.

#13 ·
Thank you for your above suggestions, still early days I will take her to the vet asap, i just needed to deal with the dog with diahreah today. I will add that today (day 1) she has been much calmer. Ive just watched the video on filling kongs with kibble and sealing with peanut butter and freezing and i will buy some peanut butter tomorrow.

Her seperation anxiety definately started with my hospitalization, this morning I tied her to a metal seat and walked away from her, told her to calm down and walked further away, then returned and when she was calm I gave her a big fuss. Im hoping this will teach her that no matter how far away i am i will always come back to her. I am going to do this every day if it seems to be working.

Tired out now so off to bed, thank you all for your advice will look in again tomorrow, its a great forum so far :)

anne

#14 ·
I think you should contact the GSD rescue and explain the situation with your health and the problems the dog has. Tell them that you will have to euthanize her if they cannot take her.

It will do you other three dogs no good at all, if your health deteriorates further from dealing with this dog. Sometimes, we have to understand that we have limitations. It is sad, but you need to reduce the stress.

#15 ·
Really this is sound advise. If your health is really bad dealing with a problem dog is just going to make it worst.

I take it that long walks with her are not really an option? Do the GSD rescue's understand your situation?

Not really seeing how roping a dog to a post is gonna help with separation anxiety? I understand what your trying to achieve.

Just a quick search on you tube found this, other stuff is there also but I'm not certain how much work your up for?

Good luck and hope you find the answer you need. :)

#22 ·
The vet didnt take the decision lightly, she could see how stressed sam was (he is the dog with the diahreah) she also saw how distraught I am and as she quite rightly said my neurosurgeon would not be happy if he knew about all of this. My head was pounding yesterday from the stress and i have to avoid stress. Hopefully today will be easier :)

#19 ·
I don't really have any advice. I just want to say how sorry I am that you are experiencing health issues plus the stress of your GSD. I can't even imagine the strain you are under, but I know it is only hurting you health. I am praying that there is a rescue who will be able to step up to help you and your sweet girl. I believe that the problems you are having with her can be dealt with. Unfortunately, the problems are just too much for you at this time.

Hugs!

#25 ·
Hello everyone

Not been on the forum for a while because I have been very busy but Brody is doing really well and is a much happier dog and I am a much happier owner. I really do think a lot of problems stem from seperation anxiety, she really loves her mum and when I dissapeared again for a week while in hospital in January when I came home her behaviour had gone through the roof. All of the dogs were very unhappy and thats now much improved, sams diahreah is no more after a course of antibiotics and a change in diet. I think kennelling the dogs if i have to stay in hospital again might be a good idea as their behaviour doesnt seem affacted.

We did have one mishap this morning, I threw Brody's ball for her and it bounced off a wall and brody the silly dog slammed into the wall with her collar bone. I was at least 100 metres away and heard a loud thud. I was very worried about her but luckily she seems fine, I wont be letting her run off the lead for a few days just to be sure as she does seem a little sore, so its going to be gentle off lead walks for a few days. Next time no throwing balls towards a wall :eek:

Thank you once again for all your comments.

Anne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.