German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   How do I stop my male from marking on everything?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/412370-how-do-i-stop-my-male-marking-everything.html)

Squeetie 02-17-2014 02:27 PM

How do I stop my male from marking on everything??

1 Attachment(s)
I rescued a street dog (GSD x Chow?) that I've had for about 6 months or so, Red. According to the vet, he was about a year when I got him, and he is currently unaltered. A few weeks ago, he started peeing on top of our other dog's pee. I didn't think it was an issue, as he peed his normal amount and it was the only time he "marked", so I didn't correct him for it.

I took Red to a private training session about a week and a half ago and we introduced him to some of the agility equipment (an on-the-ground tire and a short tunnel). After a few minutes of introducing the tire, he tinkled a little on one of his pass throughs - he was very sneaky! :eek: We cleaned up the tire and continued until he looked like he was moving into position to do it again, we verbally corrected him and moved on to the tunnel. He did fine on the tunnel for awhile then moved into position again, another verbal correction, and back on the leash.

NOW it seems as though he wants to mark everything - he marks the fence in our backyard and I caught him trying to lift his leg on (1) a backpack in the living room and (2) the shower door/towels while DH was in the shower! He was verbally corrected and did not succeed in either attempt as he is always supervised when he's not kenneled, but he did do the "move" (butt scooted over, leg going up). I believe DH also said Red tried it one night with him.

:help: So here comes the question - what do I do? I can take him on leash in the backyard and correct him (verbal corrections don't work as well outside with him yet) and we always supervise him inside, but is there anything else I can do to curb this?

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the little bugger! :wub:

Squeetie 02-18-2014 04:09 PM

Just wanted to :bump: my post and say that my hubby told me Red tried to mark HIM last night!

I could let DH take over some feedings (I currently do all feedings and formal training) to be more of a provider for Red and less of a playmate, but the marking is still an issue with other items/things in the house and that needs to be dealt with - somehow. Hubby said he's been pointing at things in the house that are at marking height and treating Red when he just sniffs and goes about his business (he's not using the clicker as I'm not 100% sure he'd use it the right way lol).

Thoughts/ideas?

misslesleedavis1 02-18-2014 04:43 PM

Mine did that, Dexter marked things up until we had him fixed, it was not an overnight transformation but he did eventually stop not too long after.

Jax08 02-18-2014 04:53 PM

I would not take him outside and correct him out there! You want him to pee out there! I would go treat him like a puppy. This is a behavior, may be hormone based, but still a behavior that is a training issue.

Neutering him may stop him. However, I watched my 6 yr old female who was spayed at 6 months mark every time we go for a walk. So above the hormones, there is also a dominance or territorial component.

Squeetie 02-18-2014 04:53 PM

Thanks for the responses, misslesleedavis1 and Jax08! I was hoping to wait until Red was at least around 2 to decide about neutering, but I don't want this to transform into a behavioral issue in the meantime. :( I only correct him outside if he goes to mark after he's already peed when it's clearly just a spurt to mark "his" fence. Other than this, he's been 100% potty trained since we brought him home 6 months ago.

misslesleedavis1 02-18-2014 04:57 PM

well, as the previous poster has stated it coiuld be a training, dominance thing, personally i waited with dex too, after we got him fixed the marking did stop, but he did not do it in the home, he took that crap to pet smart and like a million trees.

Squeetie 02-18-2014 05:00 PM

Yeah, I don't really care that much if he marks outside... I'm really just trying to curb that to see if stopping outside marking would help with inside. I mean, we watch him inside constantly but he still tries multiple times a day now - in the house - not cool, Red Dog!

misslesleedavis1 02-18-2014 05:04 PM

well, this is probably the most mundane advice but to cut the chance of it happening in the same spots try vinegar and odor out. :) i use that on any accident we have here.

Squeetie 02-18-2014 05:04 PM

Good deal - will try if he ever succeeds! :D Thank you, misslesleedavis1!