New GSD puppy and 4 1/2 yr old GSD female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New GSD puppy and 4 1/2 yr old GSD female

Hi,
It's been a while since I was on the forum, but our GSD Raven is now 4 1/2 yrs old and a really well behaved obedient girl. A little background info...We just brought home a new puppy from the breeder.. It is a little male, with a disabled rear leg. It was born with no joint between the upper leg and the hock. The lower limb flails around, but he is amazingly mobile. We have strapped it with gauze bandage and wrapped with band aid to give it a little more stability, and to prevent him from causing too much abrasion on the lower limb. It scoots around basically walking on the hock on the left rear. The hip and the upper leg are perfectly normal, by the way....We went to the breeder with Raven, who visits there regularly. She played with the puppy, and then we all went home together. She herds the puppy everywhere, but warns him off her toys, and her chew treats. Food is not a problem as the puppy has his own little dish. We also have a young cat (that believes it is a GSD) that eats out of Ravens' bowl with her, plays with her toys, and even takes a teat out of the dogs' mouth (with no problem). Is this just the older dog setting the priorities for the little guy. Raven used to get the same treatment from the older dogs at the kennels, if she got too much in their faces. The puppy has been home for 2 days now, and I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour, and that Raven will very soon accept the status quo.. The puppy will never be left alone with Raven, certainly not while he is still growing. We are trying very hard not too give the puppy all the attention and push Raven to one side. Sorry I rambled so much, but I would appreciate any advice..BTW I have been retired for the last 5 years and time to spend with the dogs is not an issue..
Regards
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just saying it's very nice of you to help out the puppy with the leg problem. We had a 3 legged Lab for almost a year, gave her all we could to the very end.

As mentioned, I'd just keep them separated when you are not around until you can trust 100%.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default The GSD will always manage to surprise me

By way of an update..This morning, the puppy was playing with a rope, Raven (our older female GSD) came up with her squeaky teddy bear in her mouth, offered a couple of play bows to the puppy, and lay down in front of the puppy where the tug of war commenced. She is now stuck to the puppy like glue..herding, playing, licking, even sharing her food bowl. The breed never fails to surprise me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.