German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   One thing today to mentally stimulate my dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/411306-one-thing-today-mentally-stimulate-my-dog.html)

gsdemack 02-15-2014 08:57 AM

One thing today to mentally stimulate my dog

Hi,
I'm having problems with putting in the energy to do this as I've been with her over a year with only a two day break ever.

She is bored around the house - I have tried hiding treats around the house for her to find but that will only last 15 to 20mins and then she looks bored again. I have tried bringing her for four daily walks..

I can't throw the ball because we have had torrential rain and it would ruin the grass to step into it.

I want something that will be satisfying for me so I will get more motivated. She doesn't seem to like Kongs at all.

doggiedad 02-15-2014 09:07 AM

you have to push yourself whether you like it or not whether
you want to or not. stop being lazy and making excuses for not
doing things with your dog. dogs take us out of our comfort
zone. start enjoying the out of your comfort zone time. now go
and train your dog, walk your dog, play with your dog. you
can train indoors. just get up and get motivated (whether you
like it or not).

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 5025050)
Hi,
I'm having problems with putting in the energy to do this as I've been with her over a year with only a two day break ever.

She is bored around the house - I have tried hiding treats around the house for her to find but that will only last 15 to 20mins and then she looks bored again. I have tried bringing her for four daily walks..

I can't throw the ball because we have had torrential rain and it would ruin the grass to step into it.

>>>>> I want something that will be satisfying for me so I will get more motivated. <<<<< She doesn't seem to like Kongs at all.

DutchKarin 02-15-2014 09:12 AM

Why not take a class in something you haven't done before. Agility, nose work, flyball. Get out there. It will be fun for you and healthy to boot to do something new and challenging.

gsdemack 02-15-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 5025130)
you have to push yourself whether you like it or not whether
you want to or not. stop being lazy and making excuses for not
doing things with your dog. dogs take us out of our comfort
zone. start enjoying the out of your comfort zone time. now go
and train your dog, walk your dog, play with your dog. you
can train indoors. just get up and get motivated (whether you
like it or not).

I play with her alot; the problem is that she wants to play all the time...
That's why I find it hard to put energy into it - it just seems pointless to do this when she is bored straight away after. I don't want her to be bored at all.

I hope you can see that I really really want to have a happy dog, that's the reason I came onto the site and asked this question. Your reply was harsh :o

gsdemack 02-15-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchKarin (Post 5025162)
Why not take a class in something you haven't done before. Agility, nose work, flyball. Get out there. It will be fun for you and healthy to boot to do something new and challenging.

I'd love to but we haven't got anything in Ireland like you seem to have in America.

Loneforce 02-15-2014 09:31 AM

Why don't you get her a buddy to play with her? It might give you a break when they are playing together. Sometimes it is nice to sit back and watch my two play together. They have a blast.

HOBY 02-15-2014 09:48 AM

Have you tried using a Bully stick? It helps with a food and toy drive, like a magic wound. As a limited time reward for good performance and as a lure when the dog is being difficult. I have used this and a tug indoors.

Stosh 02-15-2014 10:26 AM

There are dvds and free videos on leerburg.com about relationship games that not only teach but build the bond and relationship between you and your dog. They really wear out my dog

Susan_GSD_mom 02-15-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 5025050)
Hi,

I want something that will be satisfying for me so I will get more motivated. She doesn't seem to like Kongs at all.

I sympathize with you, don't take some of the critical comments too seriously. We have had the coldest winter in decades, with more snow than I've seen in a very long time. The weather has been at 0 degrees (F) or below much of the winter, with horrendous wind chills, and the dogs can't stay out very long in it, neither can I!

The Leerberg website is a good source (as someone mentioned), check it out. Also, if she doesn't like the Kong, try spreading cold peanut butter inside it (some people then freeze it). I try not to put too much in it, not sure that would be good for them, but I do use a table knife to spread it way inside so they have to really work to get it. You can also pack it with canned dog food with crunchy treats mixed in, then freeze it. That may help to keep her busy for a bit. My two like Nylabones, the hard ones that last quite a while. I also bounce a tennis ball down the basement steps, they like to run down to get it and bring it back up to me... And the suggestion someone made of getting another dog is a good one, also, if your situation allows it.

KathrynApril 02-15-2014 11:56 AM

Dinozzo didn't have interest in his kong either at first. I started out though filling it with his kibble and string cheese sticking out of the end. I then smeared peanut butter around just the top hole to seal it off. I would then freeze it. I left it with him for breakfast. Eventually he got hungry enough to get his meal out of it.
I actually now fill his empty marrow bones with his kibble mixed with a little yogurt/applesauce/water mixture. I seal the ends off with canned food. Wrap it in tin foil & freeze.
I have seen such a difference in Dinozzo by making him work for his meals.
I plan on getting a small bucket and mixing filled bones with nonfilled ones so that he has to search them out.
Side note: I'm so lucky to have a dad that's a meat cutter/journeyman. LOL

Sent from Petguide.com Free App