German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Constant Submissive Peeing (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/411210-constant-submissive-peeing.html)

Romen 02-15-2014 12:53 AM

Constant Submissive Peeing

I got my dog when he was a year and a half, but he was abused before. Hes two now. When I first got him he was very skittish, but we warmed up quickly. Back then he never submissively urinated, but now sometimes when I reach down to pet him, or go outside to take him off his leash he pees. I have no idea why. I know he doesn't like my dad much, but even when he comes home, he doesn't pee. It gets a bit tiring when I come home and want to play with him, or want to take him for a walk or just pet him and he pees on me or on things. Any help?

Chip18 02-15-2014 05:08 AM

First question what are the living arrangements? Are you and the dog living at home with your parents?

Loneforce 02-15-2014 08:37 AM

Has a medical problem been ruled out? You might want to have him checked out at the Vet.

CMorton 02-15-2014 10:32 AM

I've only had one dog to have submissive urination issues (and it was more excitement than submission) and that's pretty easily taken care of with adjustments in Your (being generic You, and family members, visitors, etc...) behavior toward him and training techniques.
What I did was: When I got home to her excitement or attention seeking behavior I ignored her. We went outside, gave her an opp to pee once or twice, still ignoring her. We worked a little obed (sit, stay, attention) with rewards. She eventually grew out of it. BUT, she did not have a history of abuse.

A dog with a history of abuse needs some confidence building type training, that would help as well.

Romen 02-16-2014 07:31 PM

I've taken him to the vet, they're the ones who said it was submission. Another example of submission peeing, or maybe excitement peeing is I just gave him a bone a few minutes ago but I made him sit before I gave it to him and held it over his head. He circled around and peed all over the stairs. Yeah, I live with my parents right now.

Michele Maxcy 02-16-2014 07:43 PM

My daughter's dog use to pee when excited or when I visited he would pee on the floor. What I did was act really happy to see him as I was telling him it was time to go out. He would go outside with me, I would then pet him and he would pee on the ground, then we would go back inside. He's much better now, has mostly grown out of it. He will be 3 years old April 1st. He never got into trouble by my daughter or her husband for this.

middleofnowhere 02-17-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romen (Post 5032650)
I've taken him to the vet, they're the ones who said it was submission. Another example of submission peeing, or maybe excitement peeing is I just gave him a bone a few minutes ago but I made him sit before I gave it to him and held it over his head. He circled around and peed all over the stairs. Yeah, I live with my parents right now.

OK change your behavior! Don't blame the dog for your silliness in this. Keep him calm by your actions when he is indoors. Quit doing anything like this inside unless you really like cleaning up and are not serious about helping him get over this.

Chip18 02-17-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5034298)
OK change your behavior! Don't blame the dog for your silliness in this. Keep him calm by your actions when he is indoors. Quit doing anything like this inside unless you really like cleaning up and are not serious about helping him get over this.

Well yeah, some dogs can't walk and chew gum at the same time!:D

Not liking the dad thing, that's a red flag ( that's why I asked, my question) that can be fixed but forced interaction is not the key.

Next time you need to take him out, no messing around,no playing, no dogie talk. Go to him, say let's go and straight outside, if he pees ignore it, clean it up later, don't mess around, straight outside, let's see how that works? :)

Romen 02-18-2014 06:53 PM

He's not dumb, he's just a bit excitable.

I tried that out today and it worked fairly well. The first time he peed; the second time he acted like he was about to, then I turned away and he stopped. But as for in the house...sometimes when I just pet him on top of his head, he pees.

As for the dad thing, he seems to be getting worse. He's starting to bark (which he used to never do) at everyone who comes through the door because he thinks it's my dad. And when it is my dad, he'll growl at him, bark, then run away.