German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   14 month always licking it's mouth (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/408642-14-month-always-licking-its-mouth.html)

gsdemack 02-09-2014 06:31 AM

14 month always licking it's mouth
 
When she sees me she is always licking her nose or the side of her mouth. She makes it really obvious a lot of the time. Can anyone tell me what the cause of this might be?

Thanks.

Harry and Lola 02-09-2014 06:40 AM

Isn't licking their mouths and up to their nose a sign of anxiety and nervousness?



Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 02-09-2014 06:50 AM

she wants to eat you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 4991322)
When she sees me she is always licking her nose or the side of her mouth. She makes it really obvious a lot of the time. Can anyone tell me what the cause of this might be?

Thanks.


Safzola 02-09-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 4991330)
Isn't licking their mouths and up to their nose a sign of anxiety and nervousness?



Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Our thought as well,so what is she nervous about ? Zola does that when we are getting ready to go for a walk AND mouth slaps.....Does yours yawn as well as lick....?

doggiedad 02-09-2014 07:39 AM

what's a mouth slap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safzola (Post 4991442)
Our thought as well,so what is she nervous about ? Zola does that when we are getting ready to go for a walk AND

>>>> mouth slaps <<<<

.....Does yours yawn as well as lick....?


carmspack 02-09-2014 08:47 AM

High stress, calming signal -- the dog is perceiving too much pressure -- discomfort , too close , to invasive of her personal space -- can flip to fear / avoidance / aggression.

can you get a youtube of your presence in the room and her going through the signaling . that way we can mark what you are doing with your body posture, movement , voice and so on . appears to be a very sensitive dog . can you describe her in her world at large , what "training" she has received , what she was like as a young pup if you had her from that time on.

to get her on board with her you will have to work on her terms , reduce your expectations , and reduce your body size - go down instead of towering over her , let HER come to you and allow her to move away . when she feels more in control of her situation she will be more comfortable . it will take a long time .

llombardo 02-09-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4991346)
she wants to eat you.

It's funny you say this because Midnite starts licking his mouth before he poops and it's because he can't wait to eat it. He tells on himself all the time, he hasn't figured out how I know what he's doing... yet:)

gsdemack 02-09-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4991714)
It's funny you say this because Midnite starts licking his mouth before he poops and it's because he can't wait to eat it. He tells on himself all the time, he hasn't figured out how I know what he's doing... yet:)

That is really funny! Thanks.

MaggieRoseLee 02-09-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 4991322)
When she sees me she is always licking her nose or the side of her mouth. She makes it really obvious a lot of the time. Can anyone tell me what the cause of this might be?

Thanks.

Have you purchased and watched the DVD 'Calming Signal' by Turid Rugaas yet? I agree this sounds like a calming signal and should be a heads up on your relationship with her...the book is NOT the same, you need to watch the DVD.

http://www.thedoglot.co.uk/image/cac...50-500x500.jpg

A good book I do recommend is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell.. Welcome | Jan Fennell the Dog Listener

http://janfennellthedoglistener.com/...ts/3_thumb.jpg


:)

sehrgutcsg 02-09-2014 10:17 AM

My dog yawns when I talk to him - holding - hugging him day and night and he does it a lot. It never occured to me as to the reason - someone could enlighten me as to the possible answer..??

He never gets tired, after a 45 minute walk he could drink again and do it all over without a blink of the eye. I have bookmarked this. Thanks in advance...

To the OP, what perfume are you wearing if your a female ?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2