German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   The best chew toy out there (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/407954-best-chew-toy-out-there.html)

Scout's Mama 02-07-2014 10:49 AM

The best chew toy out there

Generally my dogs quickly catch on to the difference between "people toys" and "MY toys." They understand that beenie babies, shoes, remotes, board books, tooth brushes, blankets, socks, matchbox cars, elmo, markers (etc. etc. etc) are off-limits.
We have occasional dives into the trash when it's mistakenly left unguarded, that goes with the territory.

But whence comes this unmatched passion for chewing their brushes and combs?! It comes not from a desire to destroy, for each creature relishes her salon time. The texture of the handle and bristles has been so widely varied across the years, one cannot assume significance. If it were generalized as "mine" because of the aromas and time spent with it, would not then leashes also fall prey to similar fate?

With all the wisdom, experience, and passion on this site, surely someone can end my sleepless nights of wondering?!

Mary Beth 02-07-2014 09:17 PM

Ah, but brushes may wonderful chew toys from the dog's view. A handle to chew on like a bone, and then the bristles or teeth part for a change in texture and to clean the teeth. Leashes by comparison are boring - just the same old length of leather or nylon.

Thesilentone 02-07-2014 10:00 PM

I've never seen my dog chew on hair brushes yet because he thinks the bristles are odd on his teeth but he has gotten away with the chance of chewing on leashes before although thankfully they were still salvageable and could still be used.

I would keep any brushes up high out of reach when not in use so they do not continue being destroyed and for your sake of course. I can feel your pain though, believe me.

MaggieRoseLee 02-08-2014 10:13 AM

The best chew toy/time consumer for my dogs are the Purple Squirrel Dudes. WAY better then a kong and the larger you get the more you can fill it.

zyppi 02-08-2014 12:25 PM

marrow bone - raw. I freeze mine first and only for outside until they have them very clean.

ramsker 02-17-2014 11:23 AM

My 1 year old Ranger loves antlers . . . he'll gnaw on them for hours like it's the greatest thing in the world. He has some Kong toys that he likes and that have lasted, but the antlers are #1 for him. I found a website that sells really big ones--need to order some of those because he'll reduce the biggest ones the local stores have to a nub in a couple weeks.

We tried the Himalayan Cheese and he loved it . . . but he went through the biggest one I could find in a single day. So I think those are out. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm amazed my how powerful his jaws are. He bit a big Kong bone in half in a matter of a few days when he was working on it intently.

Scout's Mama 03-04-2014 01:28 PM

Scout has recently added crayons to "her" list of toys... they're all put away, deposited in the safe, and thirty seconds later she's broken into the stash and is devouring mandarin orange, bubblegum pink, or whatever the current crayola flavor is this week...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App