German Shepherds Forum banner

Fence Jumper

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·
My dog jumps the fence. We just moved into our new house and i cant leave her outside for long or without watching because she jumps it. What should i do? I am way tired of vaccuming her hair that gets everywhere. I would love for her to play or relax outside and then come inside when i am home after work. Is a 100ft dog runner a good idea? A fenced in kennel with a roof? or just leave her in the kennel all day inside so she wont get on the couch and bed? i dont know what is right. any opinions are welcomed.

#2 ·
Try getting her groomed to reduce the fur. Her safety and comfort are more important then her being in danger because she sheds.

#3 ·
Would getting her professionally groomed would help the shedding? I brush her every other day. I would never put my dog in danger but i hate keeping her pinned up in the house for 8 hours while i am at work. She never destroys anything in the house so leaving her inside is not an issue other than the hair and me feeling bad about the long hours.

#4 ·
I'd consider getting a large outdoor kennel with a roof. If you need to leave your dog outside for a little while when you can't watch, you can get a smaller one (possibly 10x10). If the dog will jump the fence even with you in the yard, you should get a larger kennel (100x100 like you mentioned).
About the dog hair. If it's possible, you could buy/make a gate that separates each room and you can choose where your dog stays. You don't have to let your dog on the furniture.

#5 ·
i do keep roxy (my dog) in one of the living rooms. While im home i put the baby gate up between the ktichen and the living room she stays in. She never jumps infront of me its always when she thinks im leaving... possibly seperating anxiety. Could it possibly be because of the new house? Any suggestion on how i can make her feel comfortable there?

#8 ·
i don't like the idea of a dog being outside unattended.
i have an inside dog. if we're away for any length of time
my neighbor comes in to let him out. if my neighbor
wasn't able to let him i would get a sitter/walker.

if i had to leave my dog outside i would have a nice
kennel built. i would make sure he can't climb out or
dig out. i would also make sure he couldn't open the kennel
door.

#10 · (Edited)
This might help your fence jumper/ climber :) The idea is to make a fence too tall to just jump over, but if they try to climb they will never make it over. Its a cable wire run from fence post to fence post, the cable is inside of a small PVC pipe. Then putting a larger PVC pipe on, this will allow the larger PVC pipe to spill freely if to pup tries to climb the fence. Pretty easy and cheap to set up.

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm confused by people who get this breed and then hate that they shed.

Anyways, she'll be fine crated inside- many of us crate during the day. She can relax, and have a treat like a filled kong to keep her entertained. If you really want to keep her outside while you're not home, a roofed kennel with a concrete floor is the way to go. The coyote rollers are an awesome idea for if she's outside while you're home, but I still wouldn't be comfortable giving her free roam of the yard while I was gone- they're not foolproof.

And worrying about you leaving may very well be because of the new house :) My guy always gets extremely clingy for a while after a move. A space of her own might help it to pass.

#18 ·
My dog(s) stays out in the yard during the day. I have a hot wire on the top of my 4' chain link fence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.