German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Over excited when people come over (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/406858-over-excited-when-people-come-over.html)

anushtharnari 02-05-2014 08:28 AM

Over excited when people come over

I have an 18 month old male pure breed gsd of german bloodlines and no matter how much exercise he has gotten when my friends come over he loses it. He runs around the house, chases his tail, jumps on everybody and its like there are no rules when people come over. It's very frustrating. I need help on how to stop this behavior because its getting to the point where I don't want anyone coming to my house because I know he is going to freak out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wyoung2153 02-05-2014 09:23 AM

What do you do with him when people come over? Do you make him lay down or anything? Does he have a crate in the common area or a bed?

We are going through a similar issue with Titan.. he gets over excited too only vocally not physically. What I have to do, which has been working fairly well since we started, is as soon as the doorbell rings I tell him to "go to bed." He yaps and yips his excitedness all the way there and he has to stay there until he calms down. Literally until he does not make a peep. If I release him and he starts up.. back to bed he goes. He still gets to see everyone but he doesn't get to interact until he is calm. \

Have you tried something like that?

Springbrz 02-05-2014 09:55 AM

We don't get house guests often so when we do our 11 mo. old acts like a maniac. She is all over the place. Whining, spinning around and bellying up on our guests feet.

We now leash her when anyone comes to the house. She is put in a sit while we let our guests in. She resists but we are firm and correct if she breaks her sit. Guests are asked to ignore her until she calms down.
Once she is calm she is allowed to "say hello". If she starts getting to excited she is moved back from the guest and put into a "down stay". She is not allowed to interact with any guest unless she is calm and behaved. Only then do we remove her leash.

This works well for us.

erfunhouse 02-05-2014 10:58 AM

I practice the door drill a bit with my daughter and people in the neighborhood (read: kids that I can convinve to help me :P ) someone knocks, dogs run to the door, I bellow "BAH", dogs stop. Call dogs to me super happy, they come. I put my back to the door and place them in a "sit" then tell them wait. Go open the door. I'd they move, close the door and start over. The kids all know they will have to door shut in their faces a few times.

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now

wyoung2153 02-05-2014 11:23 AM

^ that is a great idea... I wish I knew my neighbors, lol. I may have to mingle or even just get some friends or my BF to do it.

doggiedad 02-05-2014 11:24 AM

invite people over and use that time to train.

nicky 02-05-2014 11:41 AM

I have the same problem. I put the crate right by the door so if I decide to let someone in the house she goes in the crate. When we are walking and she sees someone she goes absolutely nuts trying to jump on them, chew them, and even pee's sometimes. It's like she forgets every command she knows. I would like to ask people to just ignore her but I feel rude when I do that.

doggiedad 02-05-2014 11:59 AM

"when your dog isn't doing what you want you have to
stop and ask yourself what am i doing wrong"? i read
that somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicky (Post 4969506)
I have the same problem. I put the crate right by the door so if I decide to let someone in the house she goes in the crate. When we are walking and she sees someone she goes absolutely nuts trying to jump on them, chew them, and even pee's sometimes. It's like she forgets every command she knows. I would like to ask people to just ignore her but I feel rude when I do that.

nicky 02-05-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4969618)
"when your dog isn't doing what you want you have to
stop and ask yourself what am i doing wrong"? i read
that somewhere.

Totally agree, that's why I am here!!!!

anushtharnari 02-05-2014 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies! When my friends come over we try to put him in a sit stay/down stay but it doesn't work. He sits and wait until they enter but after that point he then forgets about it and runs to my friends. He won't allow us to watch tv or anything. If I try to make him sit while we are doing something he will do it then cry and whine. I have tried to put him on a leash but he won't want to listen at all with that either

Sent from Petguide.com Free App