Our shoes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our shoes

We've had Rudy the Rescue for about 6 weeks, and he is definitely relaxing with us. He is delightful. He was very cautious and never "stole" things before, so I'm happy that he feels he can show his devil side. One behavior puzzles me, and I wonder if this is a GSD thing. If one of us is gone outside, or even in another room and not accessible, he will steal a slipper or shoe from the closet and mouth it while lying outside the front door or closed door. Doesn't destroy it, just slimes it up real good. We have had a conversation about not going in the closet, so now he goes to the front door and selects his slipper or shoe from there. Is this typical behavior? He did also steal an apple, but that was a whole different thing. Previous to the last 2days, he has never counter surfed, never begged or even entered the kitchen when we were eating, and has only stolen that one apple. Maybe I have a false sense of security about the food...
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some GSD's do strange things.

Lisl removed the shoe laces from my running shoes twice and from a pair of casual shoes once. Didn't chew on the shoes, she just removed and chewed the laces.

Strangest behavior I've ever seen. She hasn't done it again since she was around six months.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Some GSD's do strange things.
I concur. Sofie only sleeps with her head on a "pillow" (it can be anything, including another animal!), Yann has taken to stealing my 2 year old's raggedy Ann doll....he doesn't destroy it, just runs the yarn through his teeth, I guess it feels good. They're weird.

~*~*~*~
Furbabies:
Sofie Rose born 08/2012
Yann von Erzengel born 02/2006
havery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

counter surfing and chewing on shoes isn't strange.
it's matter of not being trained.

Quote:

>>>> Some GSD's do strange things.<<<<

Lisl removed the shoe laces from my running shoes twice and from a pair of casual shoes once. Didn't chew on the shoes, she just removed and chewed the laces.

Strangest behavior I've ever seen. She hasn't done it again since she was around six months.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

it's not a breed thing. it's a training thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliem24 View Post
We've had Rudy the Rescue for about 6 weeks, and he is definitely relaxing with us. He is delightful. He was very cautious and never "stole" things before, so I'm happy that he feels he can show his devil side. One behavior puzzles me, and

>>>> I wonder if this is a GSD thing. <<<<

If one of us is gone outside,

or even in another room and not accessible, he will steal a slipper or shoe from the closet and mouth it while lying outside the front door or closed door. Doesn't destroy it, just slimes it up real good. We have had a conversation about not going in the closet, so now he goes to the front door and selects his slipper or shoe from there. Is this typical behavior? He did also steal an apple, but that was a whole different thing. Previous to the last 2days, he has never counter surfed, never begged or even entered the kitchen when we were eating, and has only stolen that one apple. Maybe I have a false sense of security about the food...
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I didn't say she chewed on the shoes. She removed the laces.

She hasn't gone near them since with no training at all. I couldn't catch her doing it so I couldn't make a correction. She stopped on her own.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i posted in your thread but i was referring to the OP.
i think any kind of chewing, counter surfing, scratching
the walls, destroying property is a training issue.

Quote:
I didn't say she chewed on the shoes. She removed the laces.

She hasn't gone near them since with no training at all. I couldn't catch her doing it so I couldn't make a correction. She stopped on her own.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i posted in your thread but i was referring to the OP.
i think any kind of chewing, counter surfing, scratching
the walls, destroying property is a training issue.
Thank you for your input. I haven't had a GSD, and never saw that behavior in any of the other breeds I've had. I guess I made a false logic jump.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

you've never had a dog chew on things? you're lucky.
chewing on things isn't a breed issue. i find it's what
dogs do untill they're trained.

keep your shoes out of reach untill the dog is trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliem24 View Post

Thank you for your input. I haven't had a GSD, and never saw that behavior in any of the other breeds I've had. I guess I made a false logic jump.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Our rescue has been guesstimated by the shelter as 5 years old, assumed to be used as breeding stock for the puppy mill he was rescued from. We got him about 3.5 months ago. I have found that he liked to "borrow" my slippers in the same way, not chewing, just mouthing them and only when we were gone or hitting the snooze button for a few extra zzzs if he wasn't telling us he needed to go out. He didn't steal my winter boots, but for a while did the mouthing, licking, sliming? thing to the fake fur trim as well. My slippers had fake fur trim too. Not sure if it maybe was a comfort thing, reminding him of the other dogs he was with or the puppies he created while he got used to us and this larger space or a texture thing or what, but I'd put my slippers in a drawer when not in use for ease after we let him know they weren't his and he hasn't mouthed my boot trim in at least a month now from what my boyfriend and I noticed so far. May have to test with the slippers again to see if he's over that. Probably good to remind your pup it's not theirs, but the behavior could possibly go away on it's own from what it seems like with us and at least one other on this thread. Keep an eye on the behavior and see what other's have experienced and suggest. I'd be glad to have any extra insight for us too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
cethlen1621 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.