help our dog is driving us nuts! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default help our dog is driving us nuts!

love our baby very much! She is my 13 year olds dog we have had her since she was old enough to leave her mom she is now 2 years old, now all of a sudden she wants to bark all night. We have already had the humane society come out twice because someone is complaining about her excessive all night. I have taken her on walks at 1 am I take her out to do her business at whatever time she needs and her barking is becoming a problem because my daughter is up with her all night and is exhausted in school. The other day I stayed awake all night until 6 am when it was time for my daughter to get up for school, we have no idea what else to do....PLEASE HELP ... This is her when we tried putting a muzzle on her (it broke our heart to do this) but she still barked through it
SallyRoseMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

If this is a new behavior after two years, maybe there is a medical issue. Have her surroundings or sleeping arrangements changed? What are your daughter and you doing that helps calm her down?

Welcome to the forums.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

first I wouldn't leave a muzzle like that on a dog all nite , what if she had to vomit, or couldn't pant to cool down?

What about a bark collar? How about a chewy bone to get keep her occupied?

Is she crated? If so or not, where does she stay at nite? In your room? isolated?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the vet doesn't find anything medically wrong, I would first try wearing her out! (with exercise, not a switch ). I would make sure she was nice and tired in the evenings and then I would try having music play in the background. She may be hyper alert and that might drown out little noises.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'm with Galathiel, being proactive during day light to wear that dog out is MUCH better then punishing and reactive at night. There are a million things you (and the rest of us) all do when we decide to add an intelligent and energy filled GSD into our lives.

EXERCISE! Real off leash hours every other day. HIking. Swimming. Biking. Meet ups with other dogs.

TRAINING! Dog classes. Paying the money and taking the time to attend and do 'homework'. ANY kind of classes, flyball, agility, rally, tracking, clicker......

ENGAGEMENT! How many dozens of tricks have you taught up to this point?

Good info on ---> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums specially ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Even going back to putting the crate beside your bed at night will get you more in the game cause that's going to make you fix the issue So you can get those purple squirrels full of frozen ....
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You may have rewarded the barking with attention, which is extremely difficult to undo unless you are 100% consistent in the new approach. I would: first have her evaluated by a veterinarian and if healthy mentally and physically exercise her throughout the day, feed her a large meat based meal with turkey (remember the sleepiness-after-Thanksgiving?), crate her next to you at night. If nothing works after a few weeks I would crate her in the car as far awy from my bed as possible, since you have to get some sleep at one point.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You need to be able to take the time to TEACH what you do want rather then punish for what you do not....

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Where is she at night? Crated, outside, or in the room with you? Has anything changed recently in your home? Muzzles aren't meant to be on for long periods of time or to prevent barking, they're a temporary safety measure.

I think you should consult a trainer. If not, look into a bark collar. They make ones that use a high pitched sound as a deterrent, then escalate to a light shock if the behavior continues. I actually used one on my girl for when we weren't home and it only took a couple days for her to learn. The occasional session was needed in the next couple weeks but overall it worked well.

~*~*~*~
Furbabies:
Sofie Rose born 08/2012
Yann von Erzengel born 02/2006
havery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has something changed in the neighborhood? Is there a Peeping Tom out there? I mean, a dog that hasn't been a problem for 2 years and is suddenly doing a LOT of barking only at night, makes me wonder what is going on. Could be medical, I suppose. Not sure what though. Could be that the neighbors are in and out all night long? Maybe a crack house or meth house, and people going through your yard to get to it?

Are we absolutely sure that the girl doesn't have a legitimate reason for barking if she is inside?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

We live in a nice, quite community....very safe and usually calm. Lots of people who let their guard down!
Our dogs were perfect, slept all night! Three or four nights in a row....they were pacing, barking, just seemed restless!
People who's cars were not locked, had teens going through and stealing stuff! So ours were aware of the teens roaming in the drive ways and in cars. We could not hear it, the teens were quite....but the dogs knew. We found out when police knocked on the door and told us that we needed to make sure our cars were locked....kids had been stealing things.

Your dog maybe hearing things you are not. We thought ours were going crazy, or having hormonal surges....we were wearing them out in the evening play time....so we could not figure out why they were being so obnoxious through the night. Luckily ours only lasted 3-4 nights....

Good luck figuring out what's going on.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.