German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Marking in males (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/403338-marking-males.html)

Tide vom Nobles 01-28-2014 07:52 PM

Marking in males

I have a 6 month old GSD. He is not fixed and I will not be fixing him due to showing and my breeder telling me not to alter him until he is at least 3. How do I go about marking in the house? I have never owned a male dog and do not even know where to begin with handling marking. Please please help. I know he will start hitting puberty in the next month and I would like to start now with the right behavior before he starts marking.

Saphire 01-28-2014 07:53 PM

What makes you think he will start marking in the house?

I've never had a dog mark in my house...neutered or not.

Tide vom Nobles 01-28-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 4923154)

My aunt has this issue with her males and she is a breeder. I am asking because I have always had female.

Courtney 01-28-2014 11:11 PM

My male was not neutered until he was 3. He never marked in the house before or after...I mean literally not one time.

He was actually very easy to potty train as a pup. Very few accidents in the house. He caught on very quick -your business is done outside.

doggiedad 01-28-2014 11:13 PM

same here and i've never neutered my dogs.

Quote:

doggiedad 01-28-2014 11:16 PM

could be a training issue with your aunt. :whistle:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tide vom Nobles (Post 4923178)

My aunt has this issue with her males and she is a breeder. I am asking because I have always had female.

Germanshepherdlova 01-28-2014 11:16 PM

I have a four year old male that isn't neutered and he never marks in the house.

onyx'girl 01-28-2014 11:17 PM

My male has never ever marked in my house and I let him know when he's allowed to pee when we're off property. I don't alllow him to go just anywhere there is a vertical opportunity.
It is a training issue, not a neuter vs intact issue.

I have spayed females...but if I had more than one male and some intact females, I could see why marking would be a concern.

doggiedad 01-28-2014 11:43 PM

what's a vertical opportunity??

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 4924330)
My male has never ever marked in my house and I let him know when he's allowed to pee when we're off property. I don't alllow him to go just anywhere there is a

>>>>> vertical opportunity. <<<<<

It is a training issue, not a neuter vs intact issue.

I have spayed females...but if I had more than one male and some intact females, I could see why marking would be a concern.

havery 01-29-2014 01:14 AM

The only male animal I've had mark in my house is a cat and a very drunk husband....never a dog, neutered or intact.

~*~*~*~
Furbabies:
Sofie Rose born 08/2012
Yann von Erzengel born 02/2006