What is she afraid of?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is she afraid of??

Tonight, at about 6:50pm, my GSD mix had an issue. She was sitting in the kitchen, begging for food as normal. And suddenly stood up, put her ears back, tucked her tail, and ran into my mother in laws bedroom. From there she didn't stop and ran to the living room. Then to the dining room and under a standing chest, then under the table, the back to the in laws room under the card table, and finally settled terrified under her bed. I was insanely taken aback by this as she is scared of NOTHING that I have seen since I've had her, and nothing has changed lately in her routine. Nothing happened to trigger this. I told my in law about it and apparently there was a smilie episode about a week back. She was laying in the living room, facing the door threshold. This was about 2am. Suddenly she stood, tucked her tail, put back her ears, and began snarling at the threshold to the room. She moved closer a bit, barked a few times, and then whimpered and ran upstairs where I was asleep and crawled into bed with me. That I am used to so I thought nothing of it. Any ideas on sudden fear in GSD's? Or could it be something in the house that we aren't seeing. I'm writing this at 7:06 and she is back to her normal self, sitting next to the bed and begging for my food.

7:13pm She has crawled back under the bed, tail tucked.
Xyst Sin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Paranormal activity part 5?
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

yep, a ghost

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

She just jumped off the bed after a quick whine, checked out two of our other dogs to check if they were alright(one being her mortal enemy), started smelling around the room, and then ran out. This is just getting more and more uncomfortable lol. My mother-in-law has requested to trade rooms >.<
Xyst Sin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sometimes dogs react this way when they have an upset stomach or other internal pain. Just a thought.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

would you happen to have squirrels or other rodents that may be in the walls??

Whitney

Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
Gulf Coast Search and Recovery
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could be squirrel, rodent, or birds nesting in a wall cavity. I had one get really worried when the starling nestlings started fussing. Also when a bird got trapped in the garage.

Could be something wrong in the house. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector that is working? You might want to have that checked. If you have gas appliances, have them checked.

Trust the dog. She knows something's not right even if the humans don't pick up on it.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does sound like she sees something you don't. What's the history on the house ? Anybody die in there? I doubt any animals in the walls would cause that behavior. I know we had a raccoon in the wall once and the dog smelled the walls and followed it through the house, never showed fear, but lots of curiosity.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Some dogs will freak out about sounds we can't hear. My old pit would get the fears at random times. Turns out a neighbor was using a sonic pest repellent. She was hearing it when it was triggered by movement.

It's odd what they hear. Last week there was a big football game downtown (Seahawks/49 ers) and I was home alone with the dogs. Usually there is a T.V, computer, dishwasher, heater --some sort of house noise but I was deliberately not watching the game and enjoying the quiet. I was reading on the couch with the dogs. All of a sudden, their ears came up and if when I listened closely--I could hear a distant musical noise. I turned on the TV just as Seahawks celebrated their win. Must have been all the neighborhood t.v.s and parties but the loudest stadium in the country is less than 10 miles from my house.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd go with something odd you can't hear. Both of my dogs have been "alerting" to stuff I can't hear over the last week or so. Tonight, I discovered my neighbors a few houses down having a huge screaming match on their lawn. I couldn't hear it in the house, but both dogs could.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.