German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Frustrated about dog attacks. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/399825-frustrated-about-dog-attacks.html)

Redrider469 01-22-2014 12:25 AM

Frustrated about dog attacks.

So tonight on our evening walk, my 10 month old Leena was attacked by a small dog. This is the second time this has happened in the last four days. Both times the dogs were less than ten pounds and immediately tried to bite Leena's front legs. Leena was amazing and both times did all she could to avoid the offending dogs. She never barked or nipped at the dogs. She did not appear to be fearful and the attacks really did not seen to affect her at all.

My question is, what do you do when a much smaller dog attacks your dog?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

KZoppa 01-22-2014 12:30 AM

kick. I'm not even going to pretend to be nice to a dog that comes at my dogs aggressively. They're being aggressive and so will I. I don't care how big or small the dog is. I protect MY dogs. Not my problem if someone else cant control their dog and keep them leashed. I don't have to be nice to an animal threatening me and mine. I will occasionally carry a collapsible ski pole or baton. The ski pole is a heckuva lot nicer than the baton is...the ski pole gets the message across that I'm not playing and the dog needs to back off.

your dog is awesome for trying to avoid instead of engage. There's no reason for you to be nice to a dog coming at you or your dog aggressively. That's my 2 cents.

Chip18 01-22-2014 12:48 AM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ile-leash.html

OK read that thread. But in a nut shell...your job is to protect your dog! You put her behind you and shout at the little dog to stop stay down anything if he has any training at all he'll pause, if he sees instead of your dog, He is looking at your dog not you.

And if that doesn't work, you kick the living crap out of him! He's not your concern, your dog is under control , this one isn't!

Additionally if it keeps happening, your dog might start to become dog reactive, then you have a real problem on your hands! Your job is to protect your dog, your showing him you can't do that and he needs to protect himself!

The thread I posted will give you options other than kicking the living crap out this stupid freaking dog!

Hmm...yeah I'm not really a little dog fan but this is ridiculous!

Well I suppose you could talk to the owners...but if the dog is running wild in the street...good luck with that! :)

Redrider469 01-22-2014 01:03 AM

I put my dog behind me and yelled at the other dog. In the first incident, the dog owner ran across the street and grabbed his dog. Then told the dog he was going to timeout when he got home. In the second incident tonight, the dog owner was nowhere to be seen and came and helped me find the owner. Although my dog was behind me, the little dog was running in circles which made it a bit difficult to keep her behind me. I had pepper spray but was a bit hesitant as I did not want my dog breathing it in. Maybe a good swift kick isn't a bad idea...

boomer11 01-22-2014 01:12 AM

a kick doesnt have to hurt the dog. just enough for the dog to notice you and not have tunnel vision trying to get to your dog.

llombardo 01-22-2014 01:25 AM

I guess it depends on the size and threat of dog coming at you . I personally have never had to kick , spray or even yell at any dogs. The circle thing is common for smaller dogs. The goal in my mind is for neither dog to get hurt. I have spun getting dizzy and even picked up the small dog without issue. I have been attacked by all sizes and even pit bills without any injuries, you just have go think fast. I was pretty sore when I was attacked by two pit bulls, I had to stretch my body pretty far to keep my dogs leash to one side and use the rest of my body to block the pits.

Nigel 01-22-2014 01:48 AM

I try yelling and stomping at them first, if that don't work and they get close enough then kick em, just enough to get the point across. Sometimes you can use stuff around you to help, I've thrown 5/8 minus driveway gravel, whatever works.

Shaolin 01-22-2014 01:50 AM

I'm not adverse to a bit of boot therapy if the little dog starts nipping at me when I get in the way. Finn has amazing temperament when it comes to little dogs, but I'm not going to dance in a circle until Finn gets fed up and steps in. I've also reached down and just tossed the dog into the nearest grassy yard. I just know that, no matter how much blood the little dog draws, even a scratch on it from my dog will have my dog in the Pound quicker than I can say it wasn't his fault.

robeangyalchen 01-22-2014 01:53 AM

Been there, done that.

Yes, and smaller dogs seems to be attacking more than the larger ones.
As i have already told on another thread, i usually try to avoid placce/things/territory/pile of garbage and craps that they think it's theirs and they think they need to protect it.
I always carry a wooden stick, around 1.5 inch in diameter and 4 feet long, and when those ankle biters attack, i pull my dog to my side, give him enough leash to walk, scream to another dog and wave my stick, and slowly walk away.(My dog has not perfected heel, but if yours is this will be the time to use it. But i simply say let's go to my dog) I would not hesitate to hit the another dog to protect mine form potential physical and physiological damage but waving the stick and screaming to another dog seems to break their attack. And since the dog is small, i just concentrate on my dog, keep him calm and keep him under control.

Chip18 01-22-2014 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4880833)
I guess it depends on the size and threat of dog coming at you . I personally have never had to kick , spray or even yell at any dogs. The circle thing is common for smaller dogs. The goal in my mind is for neither dog to get hurt. I have spun getting dizzy and even picked up the small dog without issue. I have been attacked by all sizes and even pit bills without any injuries, you just have go think fast. I was pretty sore when I was attacked by two pit bulls, I had to stretch my body pretty far to keep my dogs leash to one side and use the rest of my body to block the pits.

Two pitts! Aww man I only had to face one but he was a monster!
Came screaming at my 14 week old puppy and yep moved pup behind me and the owner grabbed the pitt, I think he came out of the house?