?! Dog who usually adores me running away?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ?! Dog who usually adores me running away?!

I've had my girl, Hildy, for 11 mos. She has had a rough past - abused, neglected, used as a breeder, teeth cut off, etc. But she's been with me for 11 months and she usually just adores me. She's my heart dog and when I'm home we are normally inseparable.

This morning when I got up, she looked scared. I ignored the fear and when she looked like she'd cooled off a bit, I invited her to sit with me. She fell asleep (she likes to sleep in ) and then 10 minutes ago she popped up, tail tucked deep between her legs, and darted away. She forced herself through a mostly-closed door to get away from me!!

I don't want to reinforce this and chase her. She also acted afraid once last week when I left for work - normally she'll stay in the living room & watch me leave, but that morning, she ran away into the same room.

WTH? Is this a form of separation anxiety? (She knows my schedule & habits and knows I'm going to work this AM.) Why did it appear out of nowhere like this?!
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

With a dog that is as delicate as that one, it's hard to say what can set them off. She could have had a nightmare/night terror, it could even have been something as innocuous as you made a sound in your sleep. Maybe you turned over and hit her nose unconsciously. At this point, I would just go back to how you acted at the beginning, ignore her and let her come to you and be ready with lots of treats until she can regain a little control.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was just wondering if she is having some pain or medical issue? Perhaps a tummy ache? If this came on sudden she could be frightened by a pain or discomfort. Just something to consider.
GSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you all!

Yesterday morning, I had barely had time to assess her (gait etc) after potty time before she darted off, but as it turns out, she was storing a rather large BM So maybe that was causing her discomfort, or maybe she did have a night terror. I have thought that she's had nightmares/night terrors before; occasionally she will make really scared noises in her sleep, or wake up suddenly, bolt upright, looking terrified.

I think (fingers crossed) we're good for now!! Thank you!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good luck with your girl!

I agree with the others, just be patient and let her come around in her own time, poor thing.

hopefully she just had a sore tummy, and that's all there is to it, but if it happens again I'd just give her some space.

Are you doing any obedience training with her? It would be a great way to work on your bond and boost her confidence!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Good luck with your girl!

I agree with the others, just be patient and let her come around in her own time, poor thing.

hopefully she just had a sore tummy, and that's all there is to it, but if it happens again I'd just give her some space.

Are you doing any obedience training with her? It would be a great way to work on your bond and boost her confidence!
I hope so! She was anxious last night in the bathroom (she sleeps in the master bath with one eye on me all night), which has slippery floors - but I betcha that's because we took out the rugs (which cover 80% of the floor in there) to wash them and she didn't realize they were what was keeping her from slipping, so she slipped. I ignored it and when I woke up she was asleep on her favorite bathroom rug so I guess she got over it!

We are working on "look at me" She's already got come, sit, lay down, paw, other paw, up, down, drop it, leave it, etc etc so we're on to the more difficult commands - heel (oy vey - when I first got her, she was a backyard dog her whole life, didn't seem to even know what a leash was), look at me, look at that (reactivity trigger) followed by look at me, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.