German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Help with a rescue (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/396665-help-rescue.html)

poorbandit 01-15-2014 09:54 PM

Help with a rescue
 
I am posting this to find help for a friend. She lost her shepherd last month and adopted a ~2 year old shepherd from a shelter over the weekend. He was completely untrained, so she elicited help from a local trainer who works with shepherd, particularly for personal protection. The trainer came last night and basically advised her to get rid of the dog. He said that because he was untrained at that age he was too much for her to handle, and was probably from Czech working lines (not a breeder or puppy mill as we are told when we picked him up).

My friend is very upset, naturally. She has experience training guide dogs, but the trainer made this dog sound like Godzilla. He's definitely given her some bruises, as when he gets frustrated he'll start teething her arm. When the trainer was there the dog started humping her female dog, and my friend asked for advice on getting him to stop. The trainer didn't really respond, so my friend pulled the shepherd away, and he actually snapped at her in earnest. The trainer said that was how he was going to be all the time, that because he was untrained he was operating on pure instinct.

My friend does not want to give the dog back to a shelter, but after being advised against keeping him by the trainer, she's looking into perhaps his being used for police work. I just don't know, because I question if the trainer just saw her as a young girl with a big unruly dog and just wrote her off.

To add to this, she has another dog (female) and a cat, the latter of which the dog has quite aggressive tendencies toward.

I'm trying to get all the information possible to help her, so if anyone can provide advice, please do! Is this dog a lost cause already? It's only been a few days. I hope this is an appropriate place to ask.

(Just fyi, she's adamant that returning him to the shelter or a pound is not an option, she's not giving him to anyone she's doesn't know will take care of him)

Liz&Anna 01-15-2014 10:22 PM

Ummmmm I refuse to believe any dog is untrainable, that is total BS, obviously the guy didn't want her business, she should look for another trainer.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liz&Anna 01-15-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorbandit (Post 4841289)
I am posting this to find help for a friend. She lost her shepherd last month and adopted a ~2 year old shepherd from a shelter over the weekend. He was completely untrained, so she elicited help from a local trainer who works with shepherd, particularly for personal protection. The trainer came last night and basically advised her to get rid of the dog. He said that because he was untrained at that age he was too much for her to handle, and was probably from Czech working lines (not a breeder or puppy mill as we are told when we picked him up).

My friend is very upset, naturally. She has experience training guide dogs, but the trainer made this dog sound like Godzilla. He's definitely given her some bruises, as when he gets frustrated he'll start teething her arm. When the trainer was there the dog started humping her female dog, and my friend asked for advice on getting him to stop. The trainer didn't really respond, so my friend pulled the shepherd away, and he actually snapped at her in earnest. The trainer said that was how he was going to be all the time, that because he was untrained he was operating on pure instinct.

My friend does not want to give the dog back to a shelter, but after being advised against keeping him by the trainer, she's looking into perhaps his being used for police work. I just don't know, because I question if the trainer just saw her as a young girl with a big unruly dog and just wrote her off.

To add to this, she has another dog (female) and a cat, the latter of which the dog has quite aggressive tendencies toward.

I'm trying to get all the information possible to help her, so if anyone can provide advice, please do! Is this dog a lost cause already? It's only been a few days. I hope this is an appropriate place to ask.

(Just fyi, she's adamant that returning him to the shelter or a pound is not an option, she's not giving him to anyone she's doesn't know will take care of him)

Where are you from?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 01-15-2014 10:24 PM

I am with looking for a new trainer..just needs the right one with the right approach.

JackandMattie 01-15-2014 10:28 PM

Well, that trainer was talking nonsense. I'm on the app, so can't see your location, but if you can put that info into the thread I bet you will get some stellar recommendations. If you're anywhere near Houston, Texas, tell your friend to call Al Longoria. He has worked wonders with my rescue.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mcdanfam 01-15-2014 10:28 PM

I would tell her to look for a working dog trainer....from our experience they are much more knowledgable and understanding of any working line dogs. The basic dog trainers seem to be at a loss with working lines....our pups were in advanced puppy class when they were 4 months old...they were to bored in the basic obedience..switching to a working line trainer they are challenged constantly and love it....they don't like being bored...they will get flustered if not challenged.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

JackandMattie 01-15-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanfam (Post 4841617)
I would tell her to look for a working dog trainer....from our experience they are much more knowledgable and understanding of any working line dogs. The basic dog trainers seem to be at a loss with working lines....our pups were in advanced puppy class when they were 4 months old...they were to bored in the basic obedience..switching to a working line trainer they are challenged constantly and love it....they don't like being bored...they will get flustered if not challenged.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Great advice. Has she called the local SchH club and asked for a referral?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 01-15-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanfam (Post 4841617)
I would tell her to look for a working dog trainer....from our experience they are much more knowledgable and understanding of any working line dogs. The basic dog trainers seem to be at a loss with working lines....our pups were in advanced puppy class when they were 4 months old...they were to bored in the basic obedience..switching to a working line trainer they are challenged constantly and love it....they don't like being bored...they will get flustered if not challenged.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Fantastic advice,.

poorbandit 01-15-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz&Anna (Post 4841545)
Where are you from?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

New York.

pets4life 01-15-2014 10:37 PM

tell use where she is from maybe we can find a good person for her to work with that understands working dogs


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2