German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Curious, how old was your GSD when he/she started showing protectiveness/alertness? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/396505-curious-how-old-your-gsd-when-he-she-started-showing-protectiveness-alertness.html)

kristinloveschief 01-15-2014 02:23 PM

Curious, how old was your GSD when he/she started showing protectiveness/alertness?

Chief is now 5 months old, his land shark phase is finally coming to a close whoo hoo! Lately though I've been noticing he's starting to become protective and dry alert which surprised me because I usually thought this comes around a year or age or older. We live in a neighborhood but have a huge empty field behind our house that several kids play in after school. The other day Chief and my husband were in our yard and the kids all of the sudden started screaming and running towards our house. My husband said Cheifs fur stood up, he did this real slow alert trot to the edge of our yard while growling low and then barked several times deep but not too loud. Then a few days ago these two random teenagers dressed in camo came sprinting out of the woods full speed into the field and Chief went crazy barking and growling low. He's also now going to the door and dining room window barking and low growling when he hears nosies. Just wondering when your dog showed this behavior?

Sp00ks 01-15-2014 02:38 PM

I usually come in the back door when I come home via the gate. My wife had just walked out with Dagr (10 weeks), he buff'd me. I was shocked. He will alert to some sounds if he hasn't heard them before but usually doesn't bark.

Depends on the dog.

BroncoK 01-15-2014 02:45 PM

My female is three and JUST now starting to bark at people at the door.....

LaRen616 01-15-2014 02:51 PM

It's been a really long time, my GSD is going to be 5 years old in 2 months. :wild:

I can't recall when he started barking at noises but he was 16 months old when he showed real protectiveness and made these 2 crackheads back away from us. He really stepped up and became a guard dog when he was 4 years old. When he is out in the yard he makes sure everyone knows that he is there and that it is his yard. He puts on a really good show and people that don't know him are scared of him but he is actually a total sweetheart and great with people. :wub:

My Dalmatian puppy started barking around 5 months of age but when he is out in the yard he would kind of stay back and bark, now he stands next to Sinister and barks/raises his hair and acts like he would do something but again, he is extremely sweet and great with people. :laugh:

kristinloveschief 01-15-2014 02:51 PM

Sorry, I had a lot of typos in that! Typing fast on my phone plus auto correct! Chief is training now and working towards his Canine Good Citizen test
so he can be a therapy dog . But now I'm worried that he may be TOO alert for that. I don't want the slightest things freaking him out. Though in class so far he hasn't been bothered by the slamming of a clip board on the ground, the noise of the trash bag opening etc when he was tested.

kristinloveschief 01-15-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 4838889)
It's been a really long time, my GSD is going to be 5 years old in 2 months. :wild:

I can't recall when he started barking at noises but he was 16 months old when he showed real protectiveness and made these 2 crackheads back away from us. He really stepped up and became a guard dog when he was 4 years old. When he is out in the yard he makes sure everyone knows that he is there and that it is his yard. He puts on a really good show and people that don't know him are scared of him but he is actually a total sweetheart and great with people. :wub:

My Dalmatian puppy started barking around 5 months of age but when he is out in the yard he would kind of stay back and bark, now he stands next to Sinister and barks/raises his hair and acts like he would do something but again, he is extremely sweet and great with people. :laugh:

Chief is super sweet too! He loves other dogs and people! He just goes I into protection dog when he's not sure about something. I forgot about this, a few days ago my husband was on the couch watching a game, Chief was laying next to me sleeping (I was on the floor by the couch) and my husband yelled and threw his hands up at the game. Chief immidelty stood up, stood over me and barked at my husband. I want him to be protective but at the same time I'm thinking "your only 5 months old... this protectiveness may grow stronger and stronger..." Is this bad so young?!

mcdanfam 01-15-2014 03:16 PM

Ours started about 5 months but Millie would bark and back up, miles would bark and move toward whatever he was barking at. At 8 months old Millie started barking and moving toward what she was barking at! There was a young 20's something kid come into our back fence when they had turned 8 months old...that is the first time we saw Millie move forward when barking. The kid ran off, and his hoodie was covering his face, I am pretty sure it was a community kid trying to see if a back door was unlocked....most people leave doors unlocked in our community making it an easy target...I am not sure why everyone is so trusting and why they leave themselves so open to be a victim but they do....quite community with unlocked doors....ANYWAY.....Millie did not back down and I was so impressed because we felt she would bark but because she always backed up, never expected her to stand her ground and really did not expect her to chase someone. We definitely underestimated her. Needless to say....our house gets lots of space....kids and older teens do not walk in our front lawn any longer and they walk across the street when they do have to pass our home :-)))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 01-15-2014 03:18 PM

my dog never showed any behaviour like your dog and if he did
i wouldn't allow it because i didn't want a protective dog. now
if your dog is truly being protective at such a young age start
training and socializing. you want to be in control of his
protective behaviour. maybe you should find a trainer.

3dognite 01-15-2014 03:25 PM

From about the first week we had him...once he sort of settled in, he started with the alertness. He was 16 weeks when we got him.

He's not fierce or anything, just very, very alert.

kristinloveschief 01-15-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4839065)
my dog never showed any behaviour like your dog and if he did
i wouldn't allow it because i didn't want a protective dog. now
if your dog is truly being protective at such a young age start
training and socializing. you want to be in control of his
protective behaviour. maybe you should find a trainer.

We do train and socialize multiple times a week!! He trains now and is working towards his therapy dog license at a training facility and is around other dogs there. Plus he goes to the dog park a few times a week and loves the other dogs. He also goes to a local coffee shop with me a lot and we sit outside by the door and he gets petted by almost everyone and is so sweet to them!