Newly adopted GSD won't eat! Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newly adopted GSD won't eat! Help!

We just adopted Jasmine yesterday. She is 2 y.o. and she looks really small. She came with 50 lb bag of ole'roy (yuk!!) and she refuses to eat. She did very well last night and she fits perfect in to our family but I'm a little concerned. She refuses to eat dog food. I'm scared to switch her to a different food and I'm worried she will get sick from not eating. My vet is out until Tuesday and she is my first dog ever and my husband only had small dogs. I have no idea what to do. Her previous owner kept her locked in a garage where she often went potty because he didn't have time for her. I don't know if she is just sad or may be its a new situation and she is too anxious. Also she had somewhat loose stools. I took her out last night about 4 times because she was just restless and few times this morning. We played catch and ran around and she seems like she is well but as soon as I bring her in she starts to pace around and whine a bit. Is this normal behavior or do you think she is sick? I'm so afraid that something might happen to her before Tuesday. Any suggestions? TIANewly adopted GSD won't eat! Help!-imageuploadedbypg-free1389458787.116194.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
dashenka85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Many dogs in this situation will refuse food. I had a new foster who ate Scooby Snacks (don't judge me!) for quite a few days (and nothing else) until she could calm down and settle in. I would probably start trying to transition her from that food anyway, so that's good that she's refusing it.

With most foster dogs I will use something like Merrick canned food, a couple of tablespoons, mixed with water and kibble and that seems to kick up the appetite. If I need to I will do other things to stimulate the appetite. Warm homemade food like meat and sweet potatoes, baby food, more canned than dry, are all things I've tried as I get more concerned.

If she's drinking water, I would be happy. If she's not doing that/refusing water, then I would be very nervous.

It is always possible when getting a dog that they bring with them parasites and worms, so taking a fecal in, and getting a heartworm and tick test is always a good idea. Take any old vet records/shot records with you. Unless she's not had a rabies shot, I would hold off on shots for another visit and not combine rabies with any others if they are needed.

Way down the road if she still continues to be picky, have a very low weight (can't tell from the pic other than that she's very pretty) and loose stools you would want to test for SIBO/ARD and EPI. But that's a long way off in terms of what you are likely seeing.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

ETA - I do a 2 week shutdown to help dogs relax in their new surroundings - you can find it online - I have modified it for myself but pretty much trying to prevent a dog from being overwhelmed and it helps them to resume eating better.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

If she was locked in a garage I'm assuming she wasn't really ever allowed in the house, so there's probably some anxiety about that, she's probably expecting to get in trouble. Crating might help relieve some of that by giving her a safe, cozy place when she feels overwhelmed. As for the eating, she'll come around, I'm sure. Are you still trying to feed her the ol roy? My mother attempted to give her dogs that and they just about starved themselves before she figured out they were never going to eat it. These dogs eat their own poop but refused that crap. She put a bowl of 4health chicken & rice (what I feed) in front of them and they devoured it, neither of them got sick from the switch because they hadn't really eaten in so long.
havery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Been through this with one of my foster dog who would not eat, he also had runny poops and he was tired all the time. We took him to the vet and he spent the night there. He was diagnosed with stress colitis. I bought super smelly chicken baby food without garlic and mixed it with his dog food, he started eating. It was too the point were he refused even raw food...it was more stressful for me because i was worried about him constantly.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

If she has been ignored, she may be confused and frightened by any attention you give her. I've always been partial to rice and gerber's baby food chicken mixed together. They enjoy it and I've never had one refuse to eat at least some of it, plus it's easy on their stomach.

jelpy
Old 01-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you I feel a little better. She is drinking. We live in Florida so I make sure she gets water after walks and I take it with me. How should I switch her food? Should I mix it with ol'roy or just give her different brand? Also her previous owner told me he only fed her once a day. Also what brand would be the best? Sorry for all the questions. I researched some but there is quite a few choices. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it. Oh and I have a 5 yo daughter and jasmine is doing very well with her but when I raised my voice at my daughter asking her to clean her room jasmine got in front of her and almost growled. I didn't yell or anything, just changed my tone a bit.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashenka85 View Post
Thank you I feel a little better. She is drinking. We live in Florida so I make sure she gets water after walks and I take it with me. How should I switch her food? Should I mix it with ol'roy or just give her different brand? Also her previous owner told me he only fed her once a day. Also what brand would be the best? Sorry for all the questions. I researched some but there is quite a few choices. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it. Oh and I have a 5 yo daughter and jasmine is doing very well with her but when I raised my voice at my daughter asking her to clean her room jasmine got in front of her and almost growled. I didn't yell or anything, just changed my tone a bit.

I would be very careful with that sort of behavior, It may progress into something that is not desirable.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

What should I do to change that? She was growling at me for raising my voice at my daughter. Jasmin follows her around everywhere. We are sitting here and watching her get up every time my daughter get up. Sorry for so many questions. I thought I had read enough but I guess not.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post
If she has been ignored, she may be confused and frightened by any attention you give her. I've always been partial to rice and gerber's baby food chicken mixed together. They enjoy it and I've never had one refuse to eat at least some of it, plus it's easy on their stomach.

jelpy
Gerbers is a life saver its smells terrible lol
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashenka85 View Post
Thank you I feel a little better. She is drinking. We live in Florida so I make sure she gets water after walks and I take it with me. How should I switch her food? Should I mix it with ol'roy or just give her different brand? Also her previous owner told me he only fed her once a day. Also what brand would be the best? Sorry for all the questions. I researched some but there is quite a few choices.

Honestly, with my experience with ol Roy, she may never eat it. It's possible, as skinny as she is, she was only eating enough to stay alive. That's what my moms dogs did when she tried to feed it to them. I like pp's suggestion of Gerber meats, just avoid any garlic. Mix it with some rice or even baby rice cereal, that'll be easy on the stomach. If she starts eating that, slowly mix in whatever kibble you want to feed her over the next several days until she's eating just kibble. As for what kind of food, that's up to you. I really like tractor supply's 4health brand, it's not much more expensive than grocery store foods, but they use barley and whole grains and the first two ingredients are meat and meat products, versus corn and corn meal that most big name brands have, corn is much harder to digest. Everyone has a different idea of what good dog food is, though, that's a whole other can of worms!!! It depends on how much you're wanting to spend and what stores you have available or if you're willing to have it shipped.
havery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.