German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   New rescue...help understanding dynamics (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/393546-new-rescue-help-understanding-dynamics.html)

erfunhouse 01-09-2014 12:31 PM

New rescue...help understanding dynamics

So we brought Kia home yesterday. Shes approximately 12 months old and was picked up as a stray and brought from the shelter to West side german shepherd rescue. When we got home tragedy we walked the two on leashes for about thirty minutes. When they were ignoring each other we brought the into the back yard. They had a huge brawl.

Last night they were decent. Kia was tired and slept alot and Sabo laid on the couch. Then kia got on the couch and Sabo was on the floor. No issues, some tension. Kia is obviously seeing herself as alpha to Sabo. Sabo doesn't care about that, he just wants to play.

He will try to paw her to get her to play and she gets mad at him and snaps. How do I facilitate play? She went after him again this morning and he yelped and cried.

Please tell me these are growing pains. I feel so bad for Sabo. She is really mellow with us. She does guard the tennis balls though, which I'm trying to stop.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Blanketback 01-09-2014 12:39 PM

I'd be very careful not to give them any more opportunities to fight. Like leashed outside time and taking away all the tennis balls, for starters. And not giving her couch privileges right away. I'm sure they'll have a great time together eventually, but let her settle in first. Good luck, I'm jealous - I'd love to have another pup here with my guy, but DH couldn't take all the fun we'd have together, lol.

ETA: even tethering her indoors too, and keeping Sabo from initiating anything with her. Let her get comfortable and relax, to get used to everything.

JeanKBBMMMAAN 01-10-2014 06:39 AM

Agree again with BB.

No way a new dog is getting on furniture, particularly having not earned it by not "respecting" me or the resident dog. This is why I like the concept of the 2 week shut down and make a new dog sit for everything.

llombardo 01-10-2014 08:06 AM

Did you get go introduce them before the adoption? My female came with me to get Midnite. Same thing as you, he wanted to play, she snapped at him. She also gave me dirty looks all the way home. They got into a small tiff within a couple weeks and after about a month they became best friends. Lots of time, patience, and supervision and they will be fine.

erfunhouse 01-10-2014 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a video of today. She came as a stray, so I'm sure she doesn't quite know how to play yet. I think Sabo is trying, but she doesn't know what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQc...e_gdata_player

Clyde 01-10-2014 09:05 AM

Sounds like you went a bit fast.

I would keep the new dog leashed to me until the tension eases. Then dragging a leash for a while and as other said no privileges until they are earned.

erfunhouse 01-10-2014 09:06 AM

When we went to check out the dogs at the rescue we weren't expecting to bring anyone home so we didn't bring Sabo with us. We were expecting to check out the dogs, come back with Sabo, do a home check then bring home a dog. They sent her home that day.

At Home We did a 30 minute walk until they were a few feet away and not bothering with each other (which is new for Sabo who is normally reactive). In the back yard they had a few spats (really scary, stopping when I made a large RAW sound, then they would sit and let me pet them).

Inside they are Ok. When she growls at him for walking by, stating her name firmly and saying "no" will stop her growling, then praising her when she calms and settles back works. When Sabo gives her space or nicely smells her I praise him too, and her for allowing it.

They both sit to go outside and at the door when I'm coming in and out so they CAN coexist.

erfunhouse 01-10-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde (Post 4807250)
Sounds like you went a bit fast.

I would keep the new dog leashed to me until the tension eases. Then dragging a leash for a while and as other said no privileges until they are earned.

How would I deal with Sabo trying to play with her on the leash and tied to me?

Clyde 01-10-2014 09:19 AM

I think Kia just needs more structure right now until she settles in. If you can break up a "spat" with a loud voice then it was likely pretty mild so that is good.

I am sure they will be fine together it is just important for you to take control from the beginning with a new dog coming in as most "issues" can be avoided with those extra precautions, which can save things from becoming an issue long term.

For example had you gone a bit slower with the introductions you may never have had the spats in the yard at all and the tension would not have peaked as high as it did.

Clyde 01-10-2014 09:28 AM

They don't need to play right now she is brand new that is not a priority. Go for walks together and take her leashed to the yard for potty breaks. Best for them to play once they are at ease with each other not while there is still tension.

If you have voice control over Sabo tell him to leave it or go potty so he understands that right now is not about playing. Or for me I often take my foster out to the yard separately for the first week. Easier to get a potty on command if the dog is alone in the yard on leash as well.

My GSD takes a while to get used to a new dog in the house. So I am used to always taking it slow with fosters. But if I take it slow, let the tension go down and they get used to each other while I am still in charge of interactions when they do have more freedom things go very smoothly.