German Shepherds Forum banner

Counter Surfing and Sofa Agility

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  misslesleedavis1 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

So my 6 MO, Kaiser, counter surfs like crazy. Not really sure what to do to break him of this. We've tried double sided tape and bitter apple spray. If anyone has any other ideas- I'm open to anything.

My other issue-(admittedly all my fault....) is that I can't keep him off of the couches. I wouldn't mind, except that he jumps and flies on them like they are his own personal agility course. We allowed him on the couch when he was little, so we caused this behavior. Is it too late or can I still correct it?

Here is a photo of my little fur all Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
My 8-month-old pup has the exact same issue. I correct him every time I catch him about to counter surf with a firm "off". Sometimes he listens, but it almost seems like it depends on his mood. If he does make it, I simply go to him, and move him off the counter, again firmly correcting with "off".

None of it has worked. My puppy hates the bitter spray and will diligently try to destroy it if used.

The couch issue for us began with a cute puppy laying beside us, too. Now he is 70 lbs and flies on to the couch from all directions, regardless of whether there is space in the couch or not. Luckily no one has been hurt so far. I have started telling him to get off the couch and putting him on the floor every time he sits on it. However, that is extremely hard to do when he is in agility-mode.

So, BUMP.

#3 ·
You'll have a difficult time with training to stay off the couch after allowing him on it for months on end.

Lisl can clear the end table and me and land on the second couch cushion without batting an eye. But she's part kangaroo.

#4 ·
This is just my take on the counter thing at home...I have trained the humans in the house to not leave stuff on the counter. Easier to train them. And as far as the couch..I'm bad because we all play on the couch.
But this is our house and it's how we live. :)

#5 · (Edited)
I have an expert counter surfer,Thunder. She has stolen two pizza's ,box and all, as well as numerous dog treats from the counter. Daisy is the all time record holder as she stole a steak off the grill and a roast still frozen from our counter. I have to agree w/ lyssa62 its about training humans. After all the years w/ Daisy you would think I would have learned but I need a refresher course. Thunder is reteaching me! As for couches i buy fake leather and have covers. Mine are all senior citizens so I don't have the couch agility anymore. Daisy used to jump over the back of our couch while we would be sitting on it. Always an entertaining event! I always thought of it as indoor field events.

#6 ·
For the counter surfing, my trainer recommended using the prong and then "popping" as your dog starts to jump. You'd have to set up the situation for your dog to do this. If you are not educated about using a prong, then hire a professional for help rather than injure your dog.

Other than that, I like lyssa62's advice and not leave things on the counter. We seldom have food left out.

#7 ·
For the counter surfing, my trainer recommended using the prong and then "popping" as your dog starts to jump. You'd have to set up the situation for your dog to do this. If you are not educated about using a prong, then hire a professional for help rather than injure your dog.

Other than that, I like lyssa62's advice and not leave things on the counter. We seldom have food left out.

This. You need to demonstrate to the dog that this is unacceptable behavior. No exceptions! You need to be firm and consistant and use the pop with prong to make it uncomfortable for the dog. A verbal "off" only works if it is convenient for them. Don't let it be an option for the dog. You will be amazed at the results. It is 100% up to you if you want this behavior to stop. In my experience, it is easily correctable.

#9 ·
My other issue-(admittedly all my fault....) is that I can't keep him off of the couches. I wouldn't mind, except that he jumps and flies on them like they are his own personal agility course. View attachment 160530

Up your exercise!! Your pup is like pressure cooker and he's letting off steam by flying around your living room, using the furniture as agility equipment. He is self rewarding by the attention he gets from you when he is in the act of couch vaulting. I agree, should be an Olympic sport.

Stop the behavior while in action. So after he's burned up energy using acceptable behavior and he comes into the house and begins his racing around - disregard the fact he is using your furniture to gain height, you want to stop the racing behavior. Eh! And provide a toy to play with (or what ever you allow in your home). Ignore him while he's in crazy, bug eyed, flight mode. When he comes to you to play quietly, then play with him.

I would also practice NILIF. He is only allowed on the furniture when you give him permission to. You can teach him a word that means he can get up on the couch. Something like 'load'. Also teach him the opposite, something like 'off'. The verbage isn't as important as the constant practice of the command. You can use the same word to correct him when he starts to focus on the counter. Don't wait till he starts surfing, correct him when he starts to focus on the counter.

#11 ·
Thank you everyone- this is some really great advice. He is definitely crate trained and gets lots of exercise multiple times a day. We learned quickly to train the humans into not leaving anything on the counters- this does not deter him at all.

I am experienced with using a prong collar- but not comfortable using it at this age.

I don't mind him on the couch... (I love it when he snuggles with us) I just want to calm it down so it does not get destroyed in the process. Looks like upping the exercise, constantly covering the couches and more (total) consistency with all of the corrections need to be tightened up.

I am going to have to rally the troops and push the other humans in the house to be more consistent. Thank all of you for your help and support!!!

#12 ·
Well, if all else fails, set it up to 'catch' him at the counter surfing and scare the snot out of him somehow (really loud noise, fake spanking, whatever works). One huge fright like that might do a great job at preventing further surfing.

#13 ·
He might think that you have turned crazy, which this is IMO, and make him afraid of you. Good luck in catching him in the act. They are very clever and hear you coming from miles so you most likely be off with the timing of these silly punishments and only act out of frustration by taking that out on the dog. I don't understand why all this "setting him up, catching him in the act,etc" stuff and violent responses to a dog that is just acting based on the reward system (finding edibles on the counter). If they never find anything they will not develop this habit.
Once they have found something good, it will take a long time for them to no longer check the counters.
I would say, "Relax people and blame yourself for the counter surfers!" Remember, dogs don't do what doesn't work for them.

#15 ·
:rofl: sofa agility

I know I shouldn't laugh but I have a 15 week old at home. I can so relate. Our house is like an obstacle course...

6 yr old GSD chasing the 13 week old...thru the house, around the kitchen table, back thru...puppy goes left around the couch, adult girl goes right and they meet on the ottoman that goes sliding to the wall from the impact of a combined 95#.

#17 ·
:rofl: sofa agility

I know I shouldn't laugh but I have a 15 week old at home. I can so relate. Our house is like an obstacle course...

6 yr old GSD chasing the 13 week old...thru the house, around the kitchen table, back thru...puppy goes left around the couch, adult girl goes right and they meet on the ottoman that goes sliding to the wall from the impact of a combined 95#.
I have marble at my front door that attaches the living room to the bed rooms (ranch style home). I have a rug on the marble...you can imagine what happens when they run through the house, hit the marble and surf the rug.

#16 ·
For counter surfing, our trainer said to take a mouse trap, set it, turn it upside down and then cover with newspaper. Pup jumps on counter, mouse trap snaps and makes loud noise. Because upside down and under newspaper, cannot hurt pup.

Couch agility sounds quite common. My mom ended up buying a love seat for the dogs. They chase each other and launch themselves on the love seat. As long as they are not on my recliner I don't Mind.

#20 ·
It is funny to read about these antics since they are not in my house. I personally do not allow all that "fun stuff" with my dogs and I want to own the couches and like them to be calm inside.
We have mainly wooden floors and I am terrified that rough housing on these gets them injured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.