German Shepherds Forum banner

afraid of noises and won't sleep

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Courtney 
#1 ·
Our GSD will not sleep in his own bed anymore and because of this no one in the house is sleeping either. It started on new years eve, there was a lot of nose (fireworks, screaming kids outside etc.) He seemed to be a bit scared that night and jumped into my sisters bed to sleep and slept the night there, he usually does this when its thundering but goes back to his bed the next night normally. The problem this time is that he's been doing this since NYE and seems to be afraid of every little sound the house makes (the click of the AC, creaking of tv settling at night hard wind against the windows especially). What can I do to get him to go back to his normal sleeping patterns and letting us sleep in or own beds? He does not have a crate to go into but has a few sleeping spots he always goes to sleep to. please help!! i cant go another night without sleeping!

#4 ·
give a bit of history on the dog
that is hyper sensitive to noise -- not too forgiving
if the avatar is a picture of your dog , I see avoidance , he is
stiff , looks like he is about to dart off -- whale eye -- so there are probably larger issues which need to be fixed.
See if you give the dog a mild sedative Bach's Flower RESCUE and insist on the dog going back to normal routine. Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

I have seen this work -- while at vet's clinic a dog was rushed in , a dog running loose had a brush with a car -- first thing vet did was to give RESCUE to calm the dog so that he could give proper emergency treatment . That was in the 70's . McCutcheon , East York , a real pioneer in alternative treatments !!! I saw the effects first hand .

Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

#5 ·
yeah that's him in the picture but he was 4 months back then. He is constantly playing throughout the day with his toys and is eating normal and going to the bathroom normally as well. He has his regular naps during the day as well and since this has been happening his naps are much longer or course. the only thing that has really changed is that my sister has a new job and isn't at home to play with him during the day like before. he is also on benadryl for an itch he has on his leg if that helps any but hes been on this for a while now so i dont think it would make much difference to his sleeping

#6 · (Edited)
hi -- you have to get to the root of the problem for the itchy leg . you can't rely on Benadryl to keep treating a symptom . If the dog is already a bit on the nervy side, not adapting well (sister goes to work , schedule changes) , Benadryl may create more problems . Warning on the side of the box --- quote
Excitiation, Agitation or Nervousness

In some children, Benadryl has the opposite effect of sedation, causing excitation, nervousness or agitation

it does make a difference ! other articles suggest sluggishness during day , hyperactive , insomniac activity at night.

you might want to review the dogs diet overall and do an overhaul -- including brain healthy (neurologically healthy) fish oils - omega 3 , coconut oil , etc etc.

#7 ·
Just thought I'd post an update, he's back to regular sleeping! We moved his bed a bit closer to ours so he wouldn't feel to afraid with the noises. After the windy nights have stopped he's gone back to sleeping on his bed and isn't waking up at the sound of every crack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.