German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Crying at the dog park (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/392362-crying-dog-park.html)

MarkMulder 01-06-2014 09:07 PM

Crying at the dog park

Hey guys, my 5 month old puppy seems to love the dog park, but I noticed that sometimes he gets chased by bigger/older dogs. When these dogs close in on him, he cries and yelps. I'm not sure if he's being hurt physically, or if he's just scared. Should I let this behavior go on?

dogfaeries 01-06-2014 09:13 PM

He is scared.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't go to the dog park. It's seriously an accident waiting to happen.

MarkMulder 01-06-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfaeries (Post 4786034)
He is scared.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't go to the dog park. It's seriously an accident waiting to happen.

Will it change as he gets older? Or is his temperament just prone to being scared?

boomer11 01-06-2014 09:19 PM

dog park is a bad idea especially if your dog is a wuss and crying and yelping. all that does is amp the other dogs up even more. btw yeah you should step in. the dog is crying and yelping in the first place because he knows your not there to protect him.

dogfaeries 01-06-2014 09:29 PM

I used to go to the dog park with my Doberman, and never had a problem. She was also an older dog that stayed right by me. We just wandered around.

I would be concerned about other dogs bullying my puppy. All too often people at dog parks aren't watching their dogs. They just turn them loose and then ignore them. Not a good situation if one, or some, of them gets amped up and gets too rough with your dog. It's your job to keep your puppy safe. It doesn't mean your dog is a "wuss" either. Good grief, it's a puppy. Something to think about.

Saphire 01-06-2014 09:29 PM

Your puppy is not a wuss or wimp, he is a baby being chased by full grown strange dogs!!!
Its your job to protect your puppy so stop taking this young pup to such a dangerous place.

Lucy Dog 01-06-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 4786130)
Your puppy is not a wuss or wimp, he is a baby being chased by full grown strange dogs!!!
Its your job to protect your puppy so stop taking this young pup to such a dangerous place.

Exactly and this is only going to create more problems down the road if this keeps happening.

A dog park is probably the last place I'd ever take any of my dogs for reasons like this.

alexg 01-06-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 4786082)
dog park is a bad idea especially if your dog is a wuss and crying and yelping. all that does is amp the other dogs up even more. btw yeah you should step in. the dog is crying and yelping in the first place because he knows your not there to protect him.

Nice choice of words, .... :rolleyes:

Sunflowers 01-06-2014 09:36 PM

You already sensed that this isn't good for him, because you are here asking.

A puppy's experiences and interactions should all be positive. Now is the time you are doing imprinting for the rest of his life. What he encounters and goes through now is very important.
If he is anything but a very stable dog, this could trigger some behaviors you will have trouble with later.

Dog parks are really not a good idea if your puppy is being harassed by packs of older dogs.

Kahrg4 01-06-2014 09:42 PM

Dog Parks are not a held in high regard on this forum. I go when the park is empty and it is just my dogs. If you are worried about getting your puppy socialized do it with your friends who have dogs in a controlled environment where you can step and defend your pup when necessary. Or perhaps sign up for a puppy socialization class at a training club. It is great to start socialization young, but not at the cost of the puppy having bad experiences. Best of luck!