German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   should I step in dog resorce guarding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/391378-should-i-step-dog-resorce-guarding.html)

Msmaria 01-05-2014 01:37 AM

should I step in dog resorce guarding

This is my thief. http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps94956454.jpg Hes a 10 pound dog who likes to hide his treat and then steal the other dogs treats when they are not looking. Recently Dex my 90 pound GSD has started growling when he sees Fluffy heading towards where he left his bone. 50 percent of the time fluffy backs away from the bone but the other 50 percent he will grab it and make a run for it. Usually Dex will leave him . Most recently Dex , now almost a year old has started to chase fluffy down, when his bone is stolen and stand over fluffy, by that time im usually there and I take the bone from fluffy and give it back to Dex. Tonight however Dex grabbed the other half of the bone and lifted fluffy who still had hold of the other half of the bone, off the ground. Dexter proceeded to walk around until fluffy let go. My dilema is should I allow dex to growl at fluffy when fluffys heading towards his bone or not. Is it acceptable what Dex is doinh. Should i continue stepping inI dont want things to escalate by doing the wrong thing.

DaniFani 01-05-2014 02:57 AM

Not experienced enough to tell you what to do or try, but I would assume not doing anything will lead to continuing escalation. Considering the GSD is hitting that maturity age, it might not end well when the escalation reaches a certain point. My dogs don't generally get bones around each other, if one of them was acting like your little dog he'd get put up in his crate. Generally they get bones separately one at a time, or in their crates.

llombardo 01-05-2014 06:59 AM

Once any growling starts the bone is removed and no one gets it. Once they calm down you could give it back and if it starts again remove it. You could also stop giving them completely or make sure they are completely separated enjoying their own space. I might do things slightly different if the dogs were closer to the same size. I wouldn't take a chance with such a small dog.

Angelina03 01-05-2014 08:07 AM

I'm worried that your GSD is still "maturing". Rocco was a "wuss" until after maturing. He then became aggressive when challenged by other dogs (including food and water guarding). I would be worried about a serious fight, but with such a small dog, I would be more worried about his safety. One real GSD bite could be serious. I'm curious to see what others' advise.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

gsdsar 01-05-2014 09:06 AM

I don't have an issue with the growling. The issue is the other dog not respecting it. I would be stepping in and forcing the their to respect the warning and not allow him to steal the other dogs bones.

This is not the GSD issue, it's the little dogs issue. Unfortunately if you don't stop one if them, one may end up hurt.

Jax08 01-05-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4775250)
Once any growling starts the bone is removed and no one gets it. Once they calm down you could give it back and if it starts again remove it.

that back fired on me and escalated Jax's resource guarding. Be very careful doing that. All your GSD might learn is that when the poodle comes at him, he loses his treats.

Jax08 01-05-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 4775570)
I don't have an issue with the growling. The issue is the other dog not respecting it. I would be stepping in and forcing the their to respect the warning and not allow him to steal the other dogs bones.

This is not the GSD issue, it's the little dogs issue. Unfortunately if you don't stop one if them, one may end up hurt.

Agreed. I don't punish the GSD by taking away his treat. Behavior modification for the poodle. Teach him other treats are off limits.

In the meantime, crate them all when they have a treat. This is TEACHING your GSD to guard. You'll want to stop that particular lesson for him asap.

Msmaria 01-05-2014 09:45 AM

Thank you all for your replies. It seems I will have to make changes regarding bones. I too am most worried about fluffy getting hurt. Im surprised dex was able to get hold of the other half of the bone without getting his teeth caught over fluffys mouth.
@ Danifani, unfortunately I never crate trained fluffy and he doesnt have one. I agree his behavior is rude as both Dex and my other small dog do not even look at the other dogs' bone. Ive been correcting fluffy for months to no avail. And even giving dex a meatier bone if fluffy steals his.
@llombardo the growl is always short and quick so by the time I hear or see theres no more growling , at least up to now. When dex sees me he up to now will sit and wait for me to give it back. So is it okay to give it back in that instance? Dex does not growl if hes chewing his bone and the other dogs sit by him or even lie down by him when their done with their bone. He'lll stretch out his body and make room. I think hes as sick as I am of fluffy taking his bone. But this is my first gsd I have no idea how they act matured.
@angelina, yes I do see him starting to mature now, although he seems to be maturing late for his age. His teeth just finished growing in, except for a premolar that may never come in.

Msmaria 01-05-2014 09:59 AM

actually I shouldn't even ask if its okay to give it back, since it seems the consensus is to keep stepping in. I need to make sure that fluffy doesn't get it in the first place.I guess no more yummy bones while I'm cleaning the house I will have to wait until I'm in the room and watching them.

Blanketback 01-05-2014 10:19 AM

I think giving them their bones in separate locations is the best solution. I know you said fluffy isn't crate trained, but all you really need is some enclosure. You could use anything for this, as long as he respects it enough not to jump over it, which you can train. You could even get some cheap shelving boards to make a barrier in a corner.

I have had to deal with this, and that's the simplest way to avoid a confrontation. It was DH's dog doing it, and at first she'd only get her bones in her crate. When she eventually did get one in the free area, if she lashed out she lost her bone and she also lost her privilege to be in the same room with us. This worked for her.