New 3 Year Old Wont Stop Whining And Pacing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 3 Year Old Wont Stop Whining And Pacing

Hey, I just got a new Sheperd 3 days 2 nights ago. I already have a Shepherd Rotti Mix.
This new pooch (Bruce), will not stop whining and gets up eery now and then and paces throughout the house.
I didn't feel there was much of a bond between the last owner and him, and there was also a previous owner before that.
I love Bruce already, and no matter the case he has a great happy healthy home here with me and the other Shep (Logan) but if possible, if I could have a few suggestions to help comfort Bruce, I would love to hear them thank you !!
I've given him his old blankey from the previous home, including his nyla-bone and his stuff toy and also his bed.
Maybe I'm asking this too early ? It has only been a few days but I figured I would take an advantage of the forum site and try to figure something out for him.
He also wont eat much, but I've been spoiling him with chicken breast bacon and cheese, so I'm sure its because I've been giving him the goods

He's active enough besides the pacing. Hes in the yard with Logan so many times throughout the day plus a good walk.

I'm not sure if its separation anxiety, or just from being in a new home AGAIN.
I know he does feel intimidated by Logan. Logan has already made himself Alpha over Bruce.

Thank you in advance for any comments given, negative or positive.
SmokeDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This sounds like a case of good old separation anxiety, new home, new people. give him time and he will get over it. I would not comfort him in his panick moments, just give him an outlet which it sounds like you are doing already. He will go thu the motions and eventually move on to acceptance and routine.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Back off some, give him some space and time to adjust. I've had the best luck with just being there and talking, in a normal non-excited voice. Every so often call Bruce over, reward with a good rub, smack on the butt(playful) and "good boy" and then return to whatever you were doing before.

Be calm and relaxed, they read us like a cheap book. That is quickly and without much effort. So if you are calm and laid back chances are the dog will soon figure out that there isn't much to worry about.

Don't create situations wherein you inadvertently cut Logan's legs out from under him, jealousy is a hard one to fix with dogs. I deal with it with a 3 y/o and a 11 month old right now. Both are bonded to me so tightly it's almost comical, I do not even want to think about dealing with it with a new, stressed and non-bonded animal.

If it is possible, a place for Bruce to go and be alone and safe would do wonders for his stress levels. A crate or a room where he can come and go as he pleases without distraction or interaction will give him a pressure release. Be creative with ways to de-stress his first few weeks at his new home.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is great thank you. He is pretty sociable though ... And he has the option of going into the bedroom to hang out on my bed or on a doggy bed ... he prefers to be out with me and my friends ... hes just very talkative !! well ... whiny. And of course I can tell something IS bothering him, he can't sit still for too long until Logan and I wear him out enough so he can have a good rest. I am going to try everything that you and the other replies tell me to though, I'm uneducated with dogs, I just love them haha. Thank you again !!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd lay off the bacon (especially - nitrates) and cheese - chicken is fine if fresh, not KFC. He could be whiny b/c his belly hurts.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you. He seems to be relaxing alot more now. No more pacing, only limited whining, plus hes been poking around at his kibbles ! Hes adapting well. Thanks again guys and girls !
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Time is just what you need. Poor pups entire life is changed (again) so it's no surprise he's pacing. Usually there is a month or so of 'honeymoon' behavior while a new dog finds their place in a new home.

If you can find some dog classes in your area it's a great way to continue to socialize, get a leadership role in your new dog's eye, and also tire him mentally (and physically) so it's easier for him to fall asleep at night.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Smoke Doggy!

Congrats on your newest family member. I found myself in the same situation about a month ago. We acquired a 6 y/o male GSD and were the 4th owners. He had spent the last few months of his life chained up outside; he is now an inside dog. We put his blankie in a kennel for him that he has access to anytime he needs it. He also would pace and whine for the first couple of weeks. He has settled down nicely and now whines when we let him out of his kennel or when its time for a walk. It just took time for adjustment, kind/firm boundaries and a routine. He is a great dog
horsdancr2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.