German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   I think Hondo forewarned a seizure (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/387210-i-think-hondo-forewarned-seizure.html)

Lilie 12-27-2013 10:23 AM

I think Hondo forewarned a seizure

I had a bunch of family over Christmas Eve night. It is normal for me to allow Hondo out with family when we are sitting outside. He'll greet folks then come lay down by me. He isn't a social bug, but he's not rude.

My nephew brought his girlfriend (of 3 years) over. Hondo wouldn't leave her alone. I know that they have a large pack of dogs, so I figured that he was smelling her dogs on her. Twice, I had to tell him "That's rude!" which means to leave the person alone and go lay down. On the third time, I put him in the back yard. Whereas she didn't care, I just think it's rude to have a 95lb hairy monster all up in your business.

Once he was in the back yard he kept pacing and whining. Not a normal behavior for him. When he started running the fence line and vocalizing like a spoiled puppy - ignoring my "Enough!" (which he NEVER does) I decided to kennel him in my bedroom. Honestly, if he hadn't focused on the girlfriend, I would have been concerned with his health. But he was focused on her. I thought perhaps they had a bitch in heat and he could smell it on her.

About 10 minutes after I kenneled Hondo, I was sitting outside and I could hear him barking from his kennel. That is a major infraction at my house. Kennel means quiet. I got up to correct him and my sister told me that her son and his girlfriend were in the house. She was having a seizure. I knew she had them (she's medicated for it) but I had never witnessed one before. My daughter had gone in to see if she could get Hondo to quiet and to help in any way she could.

After awhile his girlfriend was fine and we opened Christmas presents. I really didn't put all of the pieces together until the next day. I'm curious if Hondo could sense that she was going to have a seizure. I wonder if that is why his behavior was over the top disobedient. They've all been to my house many times and he's never been disobedient. He truly is solid as a rock.

I suppose the moral of this story is to trust my dog. My nephew's girlfriend doesn't have seizures often, and it was decided that she was tired and hadn't eaten before she took her meds. She said she knew better and she was embarrassed by the whole thing, so I didn't ask her any questions. I will later, now that I'm curious.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 12-27-2013 10:31 AM

I think you may be right about Hondo sensing the seizure. I know Ive heard of many service dogs trained top alerttheir person. but Ive also seen dogs not trained who react with out training. Solunds like Hondo might just have been trying to alert.

Gretchen 12-27-2013 10:48 AM

What an amazing story.
As my daughter would say, "Always trust your German Shepherd".

Courtney 12-27-2013 11:35 AM

I think you put the puzzle together just right on this one. I'm certain he knew, he sensed something change with her. Just like those service dogs that alert to a seizure (Service Dog Sniffs Out Girl's Disease, Even in Operating Room - ABC News).

GOOD GOOD boy Hondo. You really do have a special boy. This is not the first time he has proven himself to be very alert, aware of his surroundings and a constant protector. He makes me smile:)

Wild Wolf 12-27-2013 11:46 AM

You have a special boy, sounds like he sensed the changes in her. What a great dog... give him an extra cookie for trying to help, even if he didn't know how! :)

misslesleedavis1 12-27-2013 11:51 AM

sounds like he did, you have a very special boy,

missus_e 12-27-2013 02:59 PM

Sounds like it. I had a dachshund who could do that when I was a kid, he sensed seizures in a few different people. He'd just uncharacteristically go nuts, and glue himself to the person. I don't know that there's much rhyme or reason in what dogs can and can't recognize an impending seizure. What a special thing.

3dognite 12-27-2013 03:11 PM

That's truly amazing. It would be interesting to see if he does it again at some point. What a great dog! :)

AKIRA3 12-27-2013 08:53 PM

One more amazing comment!

TRUELY amazing.

LifeofRiley 12-27-2013 08:55 PM

I agree with others, I think Hondo knew something was wrong!

Of course, this means that I will be even more paranoid when it seems like Riley is doting on me more than usual... LOL :laugh:!