Signs of weak nerves in a dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Signs of weak nerves in a dog?

My German shepherd is from solid working lines.. I heard her grandpa or great grandpa was one of the worlds best police dogs, and had some pretty successful dogs in her pedigree. She is Czech/DDR/West german bloodlines.

Dakota is an awesome guard dog. When she sees a dog in our yard, or someone she doesn't recongize, or something that looks creepy she barks and snarls at the window. Hackles are spiked up down her back, tail up. She runs to the door and barks at it, until I hold her back and tell her its alright.

one thing. She gets terrified of blow up pool toys, and in our back yard, if she sees a dog she barks at it from a distance(on the other side of the fence). Her tail is up with other dogs, but if its a blow up toy, her tail is inbetween her legs and shes fear aggressive.

Is this a sign of weak nerves, or is it because she hasn't been exposed to blow up stuff when she was younger?

Last edited by GSD_Dakota; 12-25-2013 at 05:17 PM.
GSD_Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is she?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
How old is she?

One year and ten months.. or nine months, something like that
Old 12-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, she may have some weak nerves going on. What is best is to find someone familiar with the lines and competant to assess your dog's temperament.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just read your story about Dakota in the stories forum. My suggestion is to go back to your trainer/breeder and CONTINUE with training.

We are always continually training/proofing our dogs, she is young and more training / socialization/exposure to new things is still needed.

So again, my suggestion, continue with the trainer/breeder .

Oops, forgot to add, you mentioned maybe getting another puppy , I personally would not, until you have a good handle on the one you have. Puppies can pick up the bad behaviors as well as good behaviors from existing dogs.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I just read your story about Dakota in the stories forum. My suggestion is to go back to your trainer/breeder and CONTINUE with training.

We are always continually training/proofing our dogs, she is young and more training / socialization/exposure to new things is still needed.

So again, my suggestion, continue with the trainer/breeder .

Oops, forgot to add, you mentioned maybe getting another puppy , I personally would not, until you have a good handle on the one you have. Puppies can pick up the bad behaviors as well as good behaviors from existing dogs.
Alright, I'll talk to my mom about it, haha. I do know about training now, as before I had no clue, but I'll talk to her about it. Like I said in the story, we are going to go back. I can talk to the breeder about it. thank you.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I think there is a combination of problems.

You say you can train a dog and the dog is fully trained in another thread but the dog doesn't let go of something when you tell it.

That means the dog has a very limited training.

An off command is a very basic command. Considering the dog has this drive to hold onto objects i feel you can bridge the gap of her fear in the garden using her prey drive. But you need to research much more and spend a lot of time with the dog and find good ways to exercise and toys which she is attracted to and ask for obedience in return for her getting her toy. Once you get an off going you can use tug to train her as well.

I don't know what your club or old trainer is like but I don't like the sound of a place where dogs can fight and have so much contact with each other. Also the trainers dogs should be very well trained considering he is the trainer conducting classes.

The dog being afraid of objects is a sign of weak nerves and environmental stress. A confident dog would burst the blow up toys. I feel a confident dog would also not be so aggressive with strangers. A fearful dog will be nervous of a plastic bag floating in the wind.

The reaction with strangers can be a sign the dog is feeling insecure in it's home due to nobody successfully taking on the leadership role and effectively controlling the dog and peoples movement withing the environment. Sometimes through body language you can show the dog you are in control and instruct it to act as you like. A place command is good for starters. Any time the dog gets aggro or excited tell to go to a spot and stay there.

Here's a good site on explaining environmental stress and how to deal with it
Desensitizing and Counter-Conditioning: Overcoming Your Dog?s Issues

Also it can just be the temperament of the dog. Generally I feel it is a combination of upbringing/training, temperament and early socialization.

I have a female non gsd(bullmastiffX) which was human aggressive and environmentally weak nerved. With a lot of training and counter conditioning and with age this dog got much better. I found a good club for training and put in a lot of hours myself and tried different techniques.

She shows no sign now of fear of objects or people and shows no aggression with people but still is alert and on guard when necessary. She shows a lot of guardian instinct but is balanced and very stable now.

Check these vids on how to walk your dog properly and how to use the leash to control the dog.
Tyler Muto - YouTube

You also can pick up good tips with Cesar's way and CM's tv shows. I find his techniques good for having visitors, getting dog used to people and fearful or excitable dogs. A lot of good hints on how energy and body language is important in dog handling. He has some simple but important rules and guidelines on how to manage a dog.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post

You say you can train a dog and the dog is fully trained in another thread but the dog doesn't let go of something when you tell it.

An off command is a very basic command. Considering the dog has this drive to hold onto objects i feel you can bridge the gap of her fear in the garden using her prey drive. But you need to research much more and spend a lot of time with the dog and find good ways to exercise and toys which she is attracted to and ask for obedience in return for her getting her toy. Once you get an off going you can use tug to train her as well.

I don't know what your club or old trainer is like but I don't like the sound of a place where dogs can fight and have so much contact with each other. Also the trainers dogs should be very well trained considering he is the trainer conducting classes.

The dog being afraid of objects is a sign of weak nerves and environmental stress. A confident dog would burst the blow up toys. I feel a confident dog would also not be so aggressive with strangers. A fearful dog will be nervous of a plastic bag floating in the wind.

The reaction with strangers can be a sign the dog is feeling insecure in it's home due to nobody successfully taking on the leadership role and effectively controlling the dog and peoples movement withing the environment. Sometimes through body language you can show the dog you are in control and instruct it to act as you like. A place command is good for starters. Any time the dog gets aggro or excited tell to go to a spot and stay there.

Also it can just be the temperament of the dog. Generally I feel it is a combination of upbringing/training, temperament and early socialization.

I have a female non gsd(bullmastiffX) which was human aggressive and environmentally weak nerved. With a lot of training and counter conditioning and with age this dog got much better. I found a good club for training and put in a lot of hours myself and tried different techniques.

She shows no sign now of fear of objects or people and shows no aggression with people but still is alert and on guard when necessary. She shows a lot of guardian instinct but is balanced and very stable now.

Check these vids on how to walk your dog properly and how to use the leash to control the dog.
Tyler Muto - YouTube

You also can pick up good tips with Cesar's way and CM's tv shows. I find his techniques good for having visitors, getting dog used to people and fearful or excitable dogs. A lot of good hints on how energy and body language is important in dog handling. He has some simple but important rules and guidelines on how to manage a dog.

Thank you. But the trainer is good, the Police force loves his dogs.. sometimes he even donates dogs, they buy from him too. Sometimes Military people buy from him.

But anyways, that may be the case. My sisters boyfriend teased her a lot when she was young. I always tell him to stop but he didn't, maybe thats another reason...
But yeah basically Dakota is fully trained. If shes off leash in public, she'll heel, she'll come, stay.. But dropping it is the problem, yes. I'll find ways to train her energy. I go for walks, but not much in public, I do agility. I did have a dog flirt pole but I forgot it at my grandmas house, which is two hours away.

Thank you.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Frankly, I think your dog is less confident than some, which does suggest some weakness of nerves. This does not mean she can't be a great pet. I agree with Diane, go back to training, and just plan on keeping up training this dog. Lots of positive interaction and completing tasks with praise will improve her confidence. Regular scenes where she she sees a variety of people and dogs, may desensitize her over time.

Good luck with your puppy.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post

Tyler Muto - YouTube

Btw not sure if you understood correctly, she is perfectly fine with strangers. Its just if shes in the house, she is barking. When they come in the house when we tell her its alright shes fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.