My spayed girl pees every few weeks in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My spayed girl pees every few weeks in the house

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why my girl does this. She's 3 years old, spayed and has been housebroken for years. A few months ago I noticed that about every few weeks she'll pee a little and drip in just a few areas of the house. It's normally in the same spots and only happens during the day. It only happens for a day or two and then stops. Has anyone else run across this?

Thanks!

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
littlebit722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe a recurring mild UTI.

Have the Vet check her.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Could be spay incontinence. I'd check for UTI first though, as suggested.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit722 View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why my girl does this. She's 3 years old, spayed and has been housebroken for years. A few months ago I noticed that about every few weeks she'll pee a little and drip in just a few areas of the house. It's normally in the same spots and only happens during the day. It only happens for a day or two and then stops. Has anyone else run across this?

Thanks!
Mine drips all the time. She is spayed and has been all checked out by the vet. She can be sound asleep and the pee will be drip dripping away. She has soaked thru the carpet, her bed...my goodness its a nightmare. I have to take her out about 3 times before bed and limit the amount of water she drinks, like she will have a big bowl then i will need to stay on top of her because she will go fall asleep and pee the carpet. She pees the car seat, the couch and anywere she lays..i took her to the vet about this and they found nothing wrong, the only thing he mentioned was spay incontinence. She is older though and i know for a fact she was spayed in the later stages of life because she was scooped up by the pound and the rescue had to spay her before adopting out and she is not a spring chicken. In my recent google studies i have founf that cranberry may help but i will check with my vet before trying it. Oh and i have been defeated even with the taking her out many times..she now wears a pull up to bed when i know she is really tired or has had more water closer to me going to bed.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
Mine drips all the time. She is spayed and has been all checked out by the vet. She can be sound asleep and the pee will be drip dripping away. She has soaked thru the carpet, her bed...my goodness its a nightmare. I have to take her out about 3 times before bed and limit the amount of water she drinks, like she will have a big bowl then i will need to stay on top of her because she will go fall asleep and pee the carpet. She pees the car seat, the couch and anywere she lays..i took her to the vet about this and they found nothing wrong, the only thing he mentioned was spay incontinence. She is older though and i know for a fact she was spayed in the later stages of life because she was scooped up by the pound and the rescue had to spay her before adopting out and she is not a spring chicken. In my recent google studies i have founf that cranberry may help but i will check with my vet before trying it. Oh and i have been defeated even with the taking her out many times..she now wears a pull up to bed when i know she is really tired or has had more water closer to me going to bed.
General FYI re spay incontinence:
[Update: a retrospective study published in April 2013, found the incidence of spay incontinence to be just a little over 5 percent. The study also found no correlation between incontinence and the age of the dog at the time of spay. Larger dogs (over 33 lbs) were about 7 times more likely to develop incontinence after spaying than smaller dogs. See Evaluation of the prevalence of urinary incontinence in spayed female dogs: 566 cases (2003–2008) for more information.]

Anyway, this link has a lot of good information: DogAware.com Articles: Incontinence in Dogs

But your dog may have something else going on - something like ectopic ureters, vulvar fold thing, etc. Has links to links: 10 month old GSD Pax, inverted vulva?

Top 10 Causes of Female Urinary Incontinence
An ectopic ureter is seen on this IVP study in the pelvis of a 2-year-old incontinent female Yorkshire terrier.

Report this imagefrom: Common Cause of Chronic UTI Has a Surgical Solution
  1. Spinal disease
  2. Pelvic bladder
  3. Ectopic ureter(s)
  4. Urinary tract infection
  5. Patent urachal remnant
  6. Detrusor muscle instability
  7. Infiltrative bladder neoplasia
  8. Redundant perivulvar skin fold
  9. Chronic inflammatory bladder diseases
  10. Urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence
=========

The original poster's dog - I would definitely be taking a urine sample in, probably the dog too.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Weird it's blank screening me on the edit - I would really look at that ectopic ureter thing (for missles....).
Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here are some natural remedies you can try!

Homeopathic’s – Are derived from animal, vegetable, or mineral ingredients and works with the body to balance the problem. Specific “remedies” are used for incontinence. If after trying one for a few weeks does not work, try one of the other choices, as each contain a different combination of Homeopathic's.

Only Natural Pet "Incontinence":

Only Natural Pet Incontinence Dog Cat Homeopathic Remedy
Active Ingredients
Thyroidinum 12x
Glandula Suprarenalis 6x
Alumina 12x
Calcarea Carbonica 12x
Cantharis 12x
Causticum 12x
Hypothalmus 6x
Gelsemium Sempervirens 12x
Equisitum Hyemale 6x
Pulsatilla 12x
Pituitary 6x
Folliculinum 6x, 30x
Sepia 12x
Sabal serrulata 3x
Thuja Occidentalis 12x

Leaks No More:

HomeoPet Leaks No More Dog Cat Homeopathic
Ingredients
Planto Major 6c&30c
Gelsemium Sempervirens 6c&30c
Cantharis 6c&30c
Causticum 6c&30c
Alumina 6c&30c in 20% USP alc. in purified water.

Newton “Incontinence”: Newton Homeopathics Bladder Kidney Dog Cat
Active Ingredients
: Thyroidinum 12x, Glandula Suprarenalis 6x, Alumina 12x, Calcarea Carbonica 12x, Cantharis 12x, Causticum 12x, Hypothalmus 6x, Gelsemium Sempervirens 12x, Equisitum Hyemale 6x, Pulsatilla 12x, Pituitary 6x, Folliculinum 6x, 30x, Sepia 12x, Sabal serrulata 3x, Thuja Occidentalis 12x .

Herbals – Mullein Leaf – Helps to tone bladder muscles.
You can purchase a brand like Alvita Mullein Leaf Tea Bags at a health food store, steep in ˝ to 1 cup of boiling water until cold. Give 2 tablespoons of the diluted mix after the evening meal and before you let them out for the last time before bedtime . If your dog doesn’t care for it, add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of canned low salt, low fat chicken or beef broth.
OR
Purchase pure loose Mullein Leaf and brew: using 1/2 teaspoon of crushed Mullein Leaf to 1 cup of boiled water, cover and steep for 20 minutes then strain with strainer. Give 2 tablespoons of the diluted mix after the evening meal and before you let them out for the last time before bedtime.

Fresh Vegetables- Adding 1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh kale or parsley to the dog's food will help strengthen the kidneys too.

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.