German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Chewing getting out of hand (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/384122-chewing-getting-out-hand.html)

TotalTurtles 12-19-2013 06:34 PM

Chewing getting out of hand

My 9-week-old GSD is CONSTANTLY biting at my feet, or anything on the floor. Right now he's chewing on a mattress. He chews on my hands so much that there are cuts on them. He ruined his dog carrier by chewing up the zipper, and he's even choked on stuff. I give him his toys, but he never chews on them. They're like a last resort for him. The only time he's not eating my leg or chewing on a piece of plastic is when hes asleep. :headbang:

trcy 12-19-2013 06:41 PM

That's kind of normal. Have you tried bully sticks or a nylabone?

TotalTurtles 12-19-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trcy (Post 4698602)
That's kind of normal. Have you tried bully sticks or a nylabone?

No. But he does have little plastic bones, not Nylabones.

JakodaCD OA 12-19-2013 06:49 PM

you have a biting machine:)

Get him outside, take him for a little walk, get some exercise going on..see how good he is when he's tired? Tire him out:)

TotalTurtles 12-19-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 4698666)
you have a biting machine:)

Get him outside, take him for a little walk, get some exercise going on..see how good he is when he's tired? Tire him out:)

I'll try that lol

LoveEcho 12-19-2013 07:35 PM

Welcome to the "landshark" breed. You've only had him for a week, so be prepared: it will get worse before it gets better. They are babies and explore with their mouths. When you can't 100% monitor him, crate him. Provide lots of mental stimulation and exercise. This is a breed that is known for being extremely mouthy, so direct all that energy into doing something you want- now is a good time to start FUN obedience training- make it a game using his favorite chew toys. Redirect to appropriate toys- it's a phase, and a long one, but with patience and consistency he'll outgrow it :)

Sp00ks 12-19-2013 08:05 PM

Forget a crate made of fabric with a zipper.

trcy 12-19-2013 08:10 PM

Kaleb is 6 months old and he still will bite. When he wants to play he grabs my foot or leg. He doesn't just bite, he pulls my foot off the ground. He has all adult teeth now, so it's not pleasant. It's something I'm working on stopping. Also, when I have to leave the house and he wants to go he will start biting on my shoes.

TotalTurtles 12-19-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 4699090)
:it will get worse before it gets better. Welcome to the "landshark" breed. but with patience and consistency he'll outgrow it :)

I sure hope he outgrows it. It just gets a little annoying. I'm working on training him now.

TotalTurtles 12-19-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trcy (Post 4699298)
Kaleb is 6 months old and he still will bite. When he wants to play he grabs my foot or leg. He doesn't just bite, he pulls my foot off the ground. He has all adult teeth now, so it's not pleasant. It's something I'm working on stopping. Also, when I have to leave the house and he wants to go he will start biting on my shoes.

Glad to see I'm not the only one lol