Acts weird on walks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Acts weird on walks

So I have recently in the last 2 weeks really started to try and walk Silas on leash around the neighborhood and wanted to start with the 1/2 mile block for a couple of months. He does wonderfully with the easy walk harness. He is always super excited to go on the walk and does awesome about 1/4 mile then he will all of a sudden stop as if he is spooked. Not sure spooked is the right word, He does not go crazy or anything like that he just refuses to move and I mean refuses. If I turn and go back the way we came he does great again. Funny too that it happens at about the same spot every time. I have tried going both ways (left or right out of my driveway) He starts looking behind him and smelling the air. At first I was wondering if he senses something not safe or off. But then it happen again the next day and again today. He has successfully walked the half mile block only once and that was when my partner came with us. Today he saw a cat, did not bark but stayed still in the sit position and would not budge unless I bend down at his level he would come love on me.

I am sure this will pass but I also am not going to make him go further than he feels comfortable as I feel like he is telling me something. He was 4 months old on the 7th of December. He is very confident in all situations and when he stops on walks he does not appear to lose confidence but rather seems to sense something, not sure I am explaining it clearly but there ya go.

Anyway not sure I am really asking anything other than if anyone had the same experiences with a pup at his age. When we had Kesler she never had any issues walking but then again I started her a little later.
Crocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is very strange. Maybe there is another dog or weird smell nearby and the dog is unsure of what to do. Next time you get to there pick up your dog (it will be a bit hard if she's big) and walk past. Comfort her and give her treats. Teach her that walking past is a good experience. Hope I helped!
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Try a normal collar and get the dog used to turning and changing speed. Jog along and see if there is the same response

Here is some vids on how to control a dog on leash. Note he uses a prong, but I feel you can do the same with a regular collar.
Tyler Muto - YouTube
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

sounds like he is scared, just build his confidence
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Who's walking who??

You're in charge and the leader....otherwise the converse is no good at all.

Sometimes the "deep end of the pool" needs a bit of prodding ( and confident leadership) to get one to explore and successfully conquer an oddity of no consequence ...except in our own minds and a dog's as well.

I'd take a different route to get to the same point where Silas "senses" something.....and proceed without blinking or even thinking about it beforehand. And at the very first moment you sense the slightest shift in his behavior ( leading to his reluctance) I'd distract the heck out of him. Or maybe better yet, have your partner go with the two of you and see if that once again makes a difference...and then repeat.

Silas is just a young pup, exploring a world full of new smells, sounds and moving creatures....and you are his Rock of Gibraltar and what a wonderful position to be in, so lead little Silas with confidence and the bond created will last a lifetime.\

Carpe Diem,

SuperG
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for all your advice, we are going to try again tomorrow. I will try all the suggestions. I never thought about what he might think when I turn around too....perhaps he is thinking see I told you those sounds and funny creatures are scary....I can also wait him out, maybe when he sits I will walk slightly ahead and just keep calling him to me until he gets past that area. With lots of treats, he loves food so I know that will motivate him.
The rest of the time he walks/heels perfectly on loose leash.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Crocky; 12-19-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"He has successfully walked the half mile block only once and that was when my partner came with us."

OK so take your partner with you... Was that so hard? You have your own answer. Keep walking with a partner for a while. I'm sorry but I had to laugh because it is so often we have the answer and just don't see it. (Happened to me a time or two ...)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I hear you but she is not always available with her work hours and I don't want to miss a chance to walk because of that. I have a home office so I am more readily available for it. She does go when she is home in time. We will certainly go together this weekend.

I just thought it was weird that he would stop in the exact same spots. But maybe he feels more confident closer to home and when he gets to a certain point he feels like home is out of reach. Gonna build his confidence level. Never thought about it being a question of confidence as he always seem to have so much. Great suggestions, thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.