German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Please help - dog poops when UPS delivers (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/384082-please-help-dog-poops-when-ups-delivers.html)

Shep21 12-19-2013 05:03 PM

Please help - dog poops when UPS delivers

Our 2 year old GSD has taken to leaving a pile of poop by the front door when the UPS delivers a package and we are gone. I don't know what to do !!!?! It seems the only time she does that is when someone new is at the door (like UPS) or etc...

Our breeder says she gets so excited that she has to poop. great.

I don't wish to kennel her everyday while gone, but I don't want her smelling up the carpets on a weekly basis. Any help thanks.

Xena9012 12-19-2013 05:23 PM

My dog does the same thing except she pees. My puppy is only 4 months though and the vet said she will grow out of it. How long has your dog been doing this? The vet suggested to make sure the person coming doesn't get too excited to see the dog because that will make the dog even more excited. Maybe do some research on it and see what you can do.

Shep21 12-19-2013 06:01 PM

She has been doing this off and on for the last year. Seems to be getting worse not better. When someone new is at the door she runs in circles around the house, checking every lap out the window. When I am home it is fine because I can act normal and tell her to go lay down or something, but when I am gone she probably just gets more and more worked-up.

I am getting mad at her even though I know it isn't helping, but coming home to a pile of crap on the floor really ruins my day.

alexg 12-19-2013 06:08 PM

Training your dog is a lot more complex and will take time, but in the mean time I'd add the instructions to the delivery person to leave the package near garage, or any place not near the front door. It might desensitize your dog a bit.

Shep21 12-19-2013 06:12 PM

the way our house is set up the only place for a driver to leave a package is near the front door or near the front window (just as bad).
Should I kennel her everyday?
How do I respond to her when I come home to a steaming pile?
What can I do to de-sensitize her otherwise?
other suggestions?

erfunhouse 12-19-2013 06:17 PM

I would kennel her. She seems stressed. As far as your response? Nothing you can do if you can't catch her in the act.

alexg 12-19-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shep21 (Post 4698466)
...What can I do to de-sensitize her otherwise?
other suggestions?

The 1st thing comes to my mind is to have a friend to imitate the delivery and to place the 'box' at the 'safe' distance and gradually coming closer to the door as she is progressing. Again, it will take some time and patience. Good luck.

Bear L 12-19-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexg (Post 4698546)
The 1st thing comes to my mind is to have a friend to imitate the delivery and to place the 'box' at the 'safe' distance and gradually coming closer to the door as she is progressing. Again, it will take some time and patience. Good luck.

This is what I'd do as well if my dog has that issue and I'll be standing inside treating or making it pleasant while my friend make fake deliveries outside. Or maybe you can gate off that area to the front entrance to see if that helps.

SuperG 12-19-2013 06:45 PM

Might have something to do with the color of those UPS uniforms?????

SuperG

Nigel 12-19-2013 07:05 PM

Would she take high value treats when she is in this state? I would work with her as others have mentioned to try and desensitize. Not sure if changing her feeding schedule would help by getting her to poop before you leave the house.