Free roam of house while gone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Free roam of house while gone

At what age did you allow your dog to have free roam when you were gone? Did you start by running small errands, and gradually build up to when you're at work?

My boy is 2.5 years old and we still crate him while we're at work or leave the house (got him at 8 weeks). I moved into a new house this past June and gave him free roam at first. He quickly lost that privilege when he decided to chew the molding and drywall in the bedroom that he was left in.

I would ideally like to give him free roam by the time he's 3, however I don't want to come home to another incident like that again.
Minoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it depends on the dog, the one I have now, no way would he ever be unsupervised, he chews/eats everything he can get in his mouth, drives me nuts. My old dog (a cross) I could leave from the day I got him and he never did anything wrong.....
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

5 dogs in my house all free roam.

None destroy things.

If you have crated so far, you should introduce the dog to free roaming gradually.

Maybe short periods at first and build it up over time and considering how well the dog does.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Around 18 months. No problems.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

4-5 months old, but we seldom left our dog alone. I've only had two things chewed on, my cell phone belt clip and the cover of a school book.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

About a year old and yes we started with short trips to pick up milk and then gradually built the time up but if we're gone for long amounts of time we crate. I dont want to take the risk of him accidentally injuring himself or eating something when we've been gone all day.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AngelaA6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl was letting herself out of her crate at six months. Before I put a stop to it, she would only occasionally get into the bathroom trash. The one thing she kept doing was removing and chewing up the laces out of my Adidas walking shoes.

She did that on three separate occasions and still haven't figured out why she does that.

She's ok for up to a few hours by herself, but she is unpredictable after that. She would never chew indescriminately, but she likes the bathroom trash on occasion. I keep it out of her reach when I decide to let her out and I'm gone.

She is slowly earning more time, but it may be up to 24 months before she has total run of the house for more that a few hours.

On a positive note, her potty training is 110% when she's by herself. I'm very proud of her for that.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

3 years old

but if you have expensive stuff I would not do it till 5 lol
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My oldest two have always had free roam while I'm gone. I'm not sure when the puppy will. He tends to get into everything. He is 6 months old and last night was his first night not locked in the crate. He did really well. ...baby steps.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As follows:

Misty(samoyed mix)brought home at 10 months from shelter, never crated, but loves going in crates to sleep.

Tannor(golden retriever) brought home at 8 weeks and out of crate completely at 4 months, never chewed or had an accident in the house

Robyn(GSD) brought home at 12 weeks, out of crate at 4 months at night and completely out at 6-7 months.

Midnite(GSD) brought home from shelter at almost a year was in crate for first 3 months. He broke out a few times and chewed a few things. Once we moved I let him out during the day first, then at night. Completely out of crate by 13 months.

Brennan(golden retriever) brought home at 12 weeks, still in crate with no signs of ever getting out(he is 7 months). He is into everything .
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 12-19-2013 at 07:52 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.