German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Behavior Change Following UTI (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/383874-behavior-change-following-uti.html)

Kaun 12-19-2013 05:01 AM

Behavior Change Following UTI

My female puppy is almost 7 months old now and was pretty much 100% house broken when she got a mild UTI 3-4 weeks ago. One day she came out of her cage in the morning, dropped down and peed all over the floor and just lay there in her own urine like she had been flogged and was afraid to move.

The thing is, she's physically better now but there's some horrible association with going out that's been created after the UTI. If I put my sweater on she'll go from being a normal puppy to dropping on the floor and watching me like a hawk. If I walk towards her she almost without fail does pee a little on the floor. The same if I grab her leash or open the front door. It's almost become a cue for her to freak out. However, if I put on my snow pants she switches gears and is excited to go out because she associates that with walks and fun stuff.

I've started going outside first and waiting for her to come to me. I even kneel down and look away. That way she only pees about 50% of the time but she literally crawls to me and if I take too long or move too fast she'll pee (I never know which it's going to be). Then as soon as I clip the leash to her harness she stands up, shakes herself and is back to her normal tail wagging self.

She acts the same way towards my fiancÚ who also takes her outside when I can't do it for some reason.

I really need ideas to break this up. She is very soft, insecure and sensitive to begin with so I always try to be very encouraging and non-threatening without feeling sorry for her. She's a good learner who enjoys training and I have no problems with taking her for off leash walks. I'm just coming up short with whether there's something I'm doing that might be causing her to continue this behavior. I try really hard to not make a big deal out of this, I ignore her antics and wait for her to come to me but I'm starting to feel I may not be fixing anything, just continuing this cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MadLab 12-19-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

there's some horrible association with going out that's been created after the UTI. If I put my sweater on she'll go from being a normal puppy to dropping on the floor and watching me like a hawk. If I walk towards her she almost without fail does pee a little on the floor. The same if I grab her leash or open the front door. It's almost become a cue for her to freak out. However, if I put on my snow pants she switches gears and is excited to go out because she associates that with walks and fun stuff.
A good way to take pressure of the dog is no touch , no talk or eye contact. Just let the pup be. I would wear the jumper around the house and the pup would get used to it.

So she associates the jumper with going to the vet. the same with the leash and opening the door.

I would desensitize her to these by opening and closing the door a load of times and just going about my business ignoring the dog. Even leave the door open for a while so she starts to think open door doesn't mean we're going to the vets.

Also just put her leash on and take it off again in a calm and gentle way. You can also give the dog a treat when her collar is on so she associates good things with it.

I would simply say nothing to the dog and let her get over it herself. Take away any pressure of speech, looking at her or rubbing her unless she is coming to you.

Kaun 12-20-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks for the response :) I've been ignoring her but not enough I think. Today I modified my approach and do everything that makes her freak out, only now I stop and sit down to look at social media or news while she gets over herself. So far so good, which is great since yesterday evening she was horrible.