German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Can your dog understand a string of words or a sentence? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/382154-can-your-dog-understand-string-words-sentence.html)

Zeeva 12-16-2013 12:52 AM

Can your dog understand a string of words or a sentence?

Can your dog understand a string of words or a sentence?

Smokey understands some things. Like if I say "leave it! Mister!" he will leave the cat alone. Similarly if I say "be nice! Mister!" he understands to be gentle with the cat. Or if I say "no sheeshee" (no peeing here or on other people's lawns or on this bush etc.) he understands. I don't know if he actually strings the words/commands together or if in his eyes it's just one command/word.

Zeeva silly girl barely remembers her basic commands so can't put together a couple of words...

Discoetheque 12-16-2013 12:59 AM

Discoe differentiates between "platz" (which means lay down where you are) and "Go and platz." (which conversely means go to your place, which includes an area rug, her bed, etc, and lay down). She also somehow understands "I don't want that." to mean that she's brought me the wrong thing, and will take the toy she has and exchange it for a different one.

That's the only example that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I do speak to her in sentences, but it's almost unconscious for me when I do. A pretty good deal of her training in the house is colloquial... I'm just so used to her doing what she's told that it doesn't seem to matter HOW I tell her...lol.

Xena9012 12-16-2013 01:13 AM

Xena knows a few like 'leave it alone' or 'do you want a belly rub'. Otherwise I just stick to simple one worded commands so she doesn't get confused.

AKIRA3 12-16-2013 04:43 AM

Not only does she understand our words but non verbal cues send her into a tizzy!
She knows when I put my apron on, she's getting some people food real soon.

When she hears me unzip my purse, she knows we are heading out of the house, and runs towards her hanging leash.

When she sees her brush, or hears "brush" she plops down to get groomed.

When she sees me get a glass she knows I like ice, so she knows a piece will be coming to her soon.

When I say everyday at 230pm, let's get Sophie, she knows we are walking to school to pick her up. She runs to her hanging leash.

I swear when I am tired, I will say,"ugh I am so **** tired Akira" and she will look at the couch, then look at me as to say
"Why don't you come and sit with me?"

brembo 12-16-2013 05:50 AM

My old guy knew "what" meant I was going to ask him something. He'd **** his head and wait for the next words. The open ended version was "what is it?", he run about trying to find something fun to do. "What do you want?" would normally mean I ended up following him to his current want/need. He also knew that "where" was a question regarding an object.

Baillif 12-16-2013 05:54 AM

They would understand the words in so far as they understand the association that you reinforced with those words under the contexts you reinforced those associations. So that is a form of understanding I guess. They wouldn't understand anything abstract though. Everything is cause and effect based learning for them.

brembo 12-16-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4678354)
They would understand the words in so far as they understand the association that you reinforced with those words under the contexts you reinforced those associations. So that is a form of understanding I guess. They wouldn't understand anything abstract though. Everything is cause and effect based learning for them.

There is a lady in Denmark(I think) with a BC that has the abstract thing down pat. I watched a video of her showing the dog 2d representations of objects(pictures) of the dog's toys and the dog would get the proper 3d object. The dog was making judgement calls. It wasn't 3 or 4 toys either, the dog could do this with just about anything it could carry. Pretty impressive honestly.

Baillif 12-16-2013 06:49 AM

Can you find the video for me? Also how do we not just know it was learning by association there too? Dog's are capable of perceiving very small differences in prompts for behaviors.

brembo 12-16-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4678450)
Can you find the video for me?

If you have netflix, look for either the National geographic on dogs or the NOVA special on dogs. I'll have a look around and post back.

brembo 12-16-2013 06:57 AM

Look for Chaser the Border Collie. Found a vid on Huffington Post. My connect is bottom of the barrel DSL and I can't pull it up quickly.