GSD playing rough with new puppy? (moved to General Behavior) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD playing rough with new puppy? (moved to General Behavior)

I haven't posted on here in a few years, but this forum has gotten me through so much before and after I got my GSD, Maylee, 5 years ago.

I recently brought home a 9 week old Golden Retriever puppy. Maylee has been great with him, but a lot of times when they are in the backyard playing Maylee has gotten quite rough. She seems to get over excited and wants to continue playing, even after it seems to puppy has had enough. She bites his neck to the point I think the puppy's head is inside her mouth! And there has been a few times the puppy has run away crying and trying to hide.

I have been trying to practice recall with them when I feel it gets to this point. But a lot of times the puppy keeps going back to her for more. Any advice or suggestions?
kschron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My male GSD played rough with my golden puppy to. I would step in if I thought it was to much, but for the most part I let them play. I will say that my golden has taken on GSD behaviors when he plays and how he plays. He handles himself quite well. I have an older golden and he doesn't play the same way. The puppy herds the male GSD just like the GSD did to him. It's not so bad that I stop it, it's the puppy's way of catching him. They are best friends and the GSD is always looking out for him, he took him under his wing.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have two GSD. My girl was only 7 months old when we came with with a 8 week old boy.
I was horrified when she started playing with him. His entire face would be in her mouth and the noises. I was so worried. I imagined him losing an eye. I couldn't even watch I was so worried.
As time went on I realized that's just how they play! She's was never biting down.
He just turned a year and the sounds they both make when playing would frighten anyone who didn't know them....
Outside when they play ( he is twice her weight) they run, run, run, she still will tackle him rough.
It's fun to watch
Good luck with your new pup

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AngVi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one and I do tend to be a worry wart I'll just continue to monitor them but I really appreciate the reinsurance!
kschron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, Same here. I have a year old Female GSD and just brought home a 9 week Male GSD last week. The first day, My female wouldn't play with him at all. After the first day however, She plays pretty rough at times but always to his level. When she plays tug the rope with him she pulls him around the room slowly. yes, She puts his complete head/neck in her mouth too but doesn't bite down. He is the little feisty one though and better watch out, lol
ZoeandMoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The noise and roughness from GSDs playing can be quiet a shock for non GSD people and even GSD people who only have one and are not used to the play. I wouldn't worry about older GSD putting puppies head in their mouth, as long as your older one has learned bite inhibition. I look at Harry and Lola and good play to them is lots of noise and lots of mouthing - silence is a worry!

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My male GSD played rough with my golden puppy to. I would step in if I thought it was to much, but for the most part I let them play. I will say that my golden has taken on GSD behaviors when he plays and how he plays. He handles himself quite well. I have an older golden and he doesn't play the same way. The puppy herds the male GSD just like the GSD did to him. It's not so bad that I stop it, it's the puppy's way of catching him. They are best friends and the GSD is always looking out for him, he took him under his wing.
Same here my male GSD met his sister Golden Retriever he was 4.5 years old, she was 8 weeks. He played rough with her but never out of control, now with her being 4 and him 8.5 they still play rough, She plays rope a dope with him letting himself wear out and than she goes on the attack. She is the most protective Golden I've ever seen.

When she was about 4.5 months I started taking her to Dog Park, an aggressive boxer approached her and when she rolled on her back to submit the Boxer bit her and she yelped, my GSD charged from 50 ft. away and I'm sorry to say the Boxer needed a trip to the vet.

Rebell vom Osangute-Land D.O.B. 10/15/13
SoCal Rebell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

The puppy is running away and trying to hide = it is too much. Step in and protect the puppy.

Bonnie the Bull Terrier and Porter the Pitbull: Dog Park Pals or Not? | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

Note that her information is based on research.

I call for time out - and the dogs will pause. While it may seem like I am a namby-pamby positive type owner, a lot of structure exists, that the dogs understand.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

i like that your dogs will pause on command. what do you say to them?
do they wait for a command to continue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
The puppy is running away and trying to hide = it is too much. Step in and protect the puppy.

Bonnie the Bull Terrier and Porter the Pitbull: Dog Park Pals or Not? | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

>>>>> I call for time out - and the dogs will pause. <<<<<

While it may seem like I am a namby-pamby positive type owner, a lot of structure exists, that the dogs understand.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post

I call for time out - and the dogs will pause. While it may seem like I am a namby-pamby positive type owner, a lot of structure exists, that the dogs understand.
A leave it or park it can work and a simple go play releases them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.