German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   He likes to sit on me (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/378969-he-likes-sit-me.html)

brembo 12-09-2013 08:55 PM

He likes to sit on me

Like the title says, Cable likes to sit on me. Like, put his butt on my chest and just sit there. He'd sit on my face if I let him, but that isn't going to happen.

At bedtime, Allie jumps in, curls up against my side and goes to sleep. Cable jumps up, sniffs around a bit, then lays his head on my chest. Then, I guess when he's too hot he'll mess around a bit, then sit on me. I go with it and fall asleep most of the time and find him curled up on my other side most of the time, or back in the living room on his bed.

Is sitting on something a sign or claiming something or is he just a strange dog?

nikon22shooter 12-09-2013 08:58 PM

My does the same. One snuggles, one sits literally on top. Just a weird dog IMO haha

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 09:06 PM

My boy is always sitting on top of me he can't stay off of me no matter where I am. I guess it's like a security thing for them .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Baillif 12-09-2013 09:08 PM

I've been letting my dogs do it since they were tiny little pups. Haven't found a reason to stop them yet. Other than the occasional accidental elbow in the crotch.

doggiedad 12-09-2013 09:18 PM

if there is should a thing as claiming, so what. i love when my dog
sits on my feet, jumps on the bed with us, lays beside the sofa when
both of us are taking up all of the room on the sofa, jumps on the sofa
with us, claiming is a good thing in my opinion. i claim my dog. why
shouldn't he claim me or us? claiming, i think that's a part of bonding.

brembo 12-09-2013 09:23 PM

I'm not worried about it, just curious. I would like to have some insight into his behavior is all. It makes me laugh when he does it, he is so careful and thoughtful about the whole process too.

Allie seems to think I am a bed unto myself honestly. If I'm in a position where she can lay on me, she will be laying on me(outside of bed, there she snugs up to me). I encourage contact, as it does strengthen the bond.

doggiedad 12-09-2013 09:31 PM

enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 4645113)
I'm not worried about it, just curious. I would like to have some insight into his behavior is all. It makes me laugh when he does it, he is so careful and thoughtful about the whole process too.

Allie seems to think I am a bed unto myself honestly. If I'm in a position where she can lay on me, she will be laying on me(outside of bed, there she snugs up to me). I encourage contact, as it does strengthen the bond.

Baillif 12-09-2013 09:45 PM

It's been reinforced in the past when they are cute little puppies and we hold them and let then fall asleep on us. If you continue to do that kinda thing as they grow up they keep doing it.

MichaelE 12-09-2013 10:54 PM

Lisl will crawl into my lap and practically climb up me if I let her. That paw in the crotch thing can be *uncomfortable* at times.

doggiedad 12-10-2013 06:12 AM

"that paw", you mean the "paws". lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4645713)
Lisl will crawl into my lap and practically climb up me if I let her.

>>>>> that paw in the crotch thing can be *uncomfortable* at
times. <<<<<