German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   What to do?! Metal crate incident with paw! PLS READ! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/378633-what-do-metal-crate-incident-paw-pls-read.html)

Mts678 12-09-2013 11:12 AM

What to do?! Metal crate incident with paw! PLS READ!

My wife and I keep chauceys crate in our bedroom, well it was 4am when chaucey is all of the sudden whimpering and crying hysterically. I flip the light on and her toe is wedged into the side of the wire crate. She must've done it dreaming or her paw just got wedged in there just right for it to get stuck in that position. She's fine now but I could tell she was hurting- ears were down for a while and she does that when she's hurt.

Has anybody had this happen to their dog before? Do you have any suggestions on what I can put on the crate wall to prevent this? Thank god this happened while we were at home and not gone at work! Because her paw toe was stuck in there good and she couldn't get it out, I has to remove her paw from the crate wall.

Sent from Petguide.com App

benderover32 12-09-2013 11:15 AM

I've had a pup get her jaw stuck in one of those. I have no idea how. There's crate liners you can buy that go along the bottom of the crate like bumpers so they won't get anything stuck or hurt.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Baillif 12-09-2013 11:16 AM

Any way you can take a picture of the crate and where on the crate it happened?

Mts678 12-09-2013 11:17 AM

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't specific enough, we have the crate liner in there, her paw toe got stuck 6 inches up on the wall

Shade 12-09-2013 11:18 AM

I've always used metal crates and thankfully have never had a issue, hopefully it was just a fluke. However, I do make sure the crate is always oversized so they have plenty of room to stretch and move (of course it's limited for puppies for the first few weeks :))

Mts678 12-09-2013 11:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 146305Attachment 146313

Baillif 12-09-2013 11:21 AM

Weird. I don't know how that would have happened. She might have just panicked really quick. I doubt it will become a regular thing. If anything I would have expected it to happen closer to the tray where those bars are closer together.

Shade 12-09-2013 11:23 AM

That is very odd, that's one heck of a fluke...

Mts678 12-09-2013 11:24 AM

That's what my thoughts were, she peed quite a bit while panicking and after we got it in stuck, last time she hurt something and ears went down and I said oh poor girl is hurt she let out a whimper and peed, so I think she does that when she's hurt.

I was wondering about weaving some wood slits in the crate walls, kind of like they used to do back in the day in chain link fences?

Baillif 12-09-2013 11:26 AM

As long as she didn't chew on them that would probably work. Problem is she would probably chew on them.