Contemplating a second dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Waffle Iron
Arrow Contemplating a second dog.

So...

I'm contemplating adopting a second dog. My current GSD is a 2 1/2 year old, Lanee, who is a rescue herself (adopted her at 7 months). She has come a long, long way in all areas and is much more the model GSD we'd all expect to see. That being said, she does tend to be territorial when it comes to other dogs in the home, though I've made some progress. Recently, a friend brought his 1 year old black lab over, and after some verbal reprimands when Lanee showed her teeth a couple times (coupled with focusing both dogs on treats, playing games, etc), they seemed to do alright in the home and the aggression faded into both dogs running up and down the halls at Mach 3 along with general puppy antics. All was well.

Now translate this to a permanent situation with a different dog. Do I think it can be done? Maybe. The proper steps have to be taken to introduce them and start to form a bond (meeting on neutral ground, maybe going for a walk together, etc). Or can the flip-side be true and Lanee may simply not want another dog to share the home with?

Thoughts? Opinions? Sound off.
Waffle Iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think any dog that has always had its people all to itself will initially resent the 'intruder'. However, like you say, given the right steps and patience it sounds like Lanee might do well. Would probably suggest a male, on the younger side as a general rule of thumb.

Part of contemplating also includes reworking budgets, time tables, and all things dog. I love my boys and they do great together. I honestly think they make each other very happy, but they will always be happiest when they get my undivided attention individually. Twice the dogs is twice the work.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Waffle Iron

I agree getting a younger male would be the way to go. That's what I'm considering doing if I do this. And yes, twice the work would be an understatement. One is a handful
Waffle Iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Could you foster a dog you might want first to see how the dynamic will work?

Do you have the time, finances and experience to take care of two pups?

For me, adding a second pup became a bit of a burden. It was nearly double the work (as Kahrg4 said) and I was so naive to think it wouldn't be...

Best! C:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you should try a younger male under 2 years of age.

Introduce them on neutral territory, take them on a walk together and see how it goes, put all of the dog toys away though and feed them separately so that there isn't any possession issues.

I LOVE having more than 1 dog. Watching 2 dogs interact together is awesome.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 12-09-2013 at 04:07 PM.
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I wish my household was as fun as yours LaRen.... having a 14 year old shih Tzu that hates my puppy's guts has NOT been fun. He growls if my pup even walks through the room he's in (he does get reprimanded for it... if he continues past my tolerance level then I remove him to another room). The puppy thinks all the snarling, snapping and growling is just another way that dogs play. *sigh* Which makes the old man bark, snarl and snap even more as the pup bounces at him and zooms around the room. Or stands there snapping his head back out of the way of the little dog's lunges. Yeah .. fun times.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Could you foster a dog you might want first to see how the dynamic will work?

Do you have the time, finances and experience to take care of two pups?

For me, adding a second pup became a bit of a burden. It was nearly double the work (as Kahrg4 said) and I was so naive to think it wouldn't be...

Best! C:
Love it, fosterng is great! and who knows you may indeed land one that fits in perfect.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I think you should try a younger male under 2 years of age.

Introduce them on neutral territory, take them on a walk together and see how it goes, put all of the dog toys away though and feed them separately so that there isn't any possession issues.

Love this one too! i now have 3 dogs! all over 50 lbs, my vacuum hates me haha
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

It just depends on Lanee, I remember introducing a 6yo male to my 2yo female and it didn't work, he was a lovely boy, stable temperament but she just didn't like him. He was being very good and submissive towards her but she was just mean to him. Then after a couple of days, I suppose when he felt more comfortable, he put her in place for her bad manners and I had a full on fight in my lounge room - joy!

We did the meet on neutral ground for a couple of hours, however we didn't walk together, which I wish we did because my experience is that dogs that walk together bond together.

All you can do is try and if you are introducing a rescue, ask for a trial period so you can evaluate them together.

PS, I have always had great success with introducing puppies to adult dogs already in the home.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I would make sure when getting another one that your present dog gets on with them. Some dogs naturally get along and others don't. The signs are usually there from the start.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.