? about aggressive humping behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ? about aggressive humping behavior

Hi all.

So my 6.5 month old dutch shepherd loves to rumble with other dogs a lot. He plays very hard and is over stimulated by dog play and I'm working on it. My neighbor has two standard poodles that are marginally trained. They are usually off leash and come running up to me and barking and dancing all around. Naturally this sets off my puppy and escalates him too much. I get that I need to avoid this. He said to me tonight gravely that I have a real problem because when my puppy tried to mount his 7 year old male in the chaos, my neighbor said that Tygo, my pup, tried to grab his dogs neck from behind. He said this was extremely aggressive behavior. Today we met on the trails and Tygo was leashed his dogs were not and there was chaos and stupid me did not move on fast enough. Tygo is not mean but seems obsessed by dogs and definitely humps other dogs too much, again, I'm working on keeping him more calm around dogs in more controlled environments and limiting contact to get this under better control. We are making progress walking on a prong, keeping our distance from dogs and working on focus and positive reward for that focus.

My question, is there a degree of humping that indicates "real big problem"? I'm a little miffed just because while I know his dogs won't hurt anyone they are not under his control and they are not that polite when they mob me and the puppy.

Am I being oversensitive and do I have a really big problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh your neighbor is full of hot air. no you are not oversensitive, but what you do need to do is make sure you're not around where this person lets his dogs loose, as much as you possibly can. any leash laws where you are? you in a condo or appartment without your own property? ugh, i dislike irresponsible dog owners. if his dogs run up to someone someday and their dog in on lead but not friendly, his dogs could be hurt very badly. lots worse than a little bit of humping. no, there's no degree of humping that indicats a real problem. the real problem is irresponsible, inconsiderate owners. jmho.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't blame your puppy, the poodles are in your space, barking and jumping around, this type of initial meeting is not polite and would annoy even the most stablest of dogs. Your puppy mounting is just trying to dominate the boisterous one and tell it to calm down. However, it is not your puppies job to do this, you might want to nip this in the bud (which sounds like you are getting on top of) otherwise could become more of a problem.

I think you are being too polite to the neighbour, I would tell him he does not seem to have voice control over his dogs as they rush you and your puppy and this is what is causing the initial chaos, tell him to keep his dogs on lead or train his dogs for better obedience.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, you have to stop your dog from humping. If the other guy tries to stop it and gets bit then youre in trouble. If hes letting his dogs run free and come up on you then Id yell at him, even call animal control. But you still cant let your dog hump other dogs.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Let's see some pictures of that dutchie. I love dutchies.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

No humping isn't sign of badness in any form your pups just getting to that age of finding his feet hormones and so on your neighbour talked crap it's also a form of over excitement too and when humping another dog yes they normally do get hold of back of neck not unusual at all but would maybe when around your neighbours dogs keep yours on lead and maybe say to him he shouldn't be allowing his dogs to just run up to anyone's dogs cause one day his dogs will get bitten it's irresponsible of him so yes can understand you been annoyed

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

personally it sounds like the humping is more of a 'control' act vs a sexual one? (I Hate to use the word dominance)..

Grabbing by the back of the neck can be part of being 'rough' about doing it.

Frankly, if it's not avoidable in the first place, I'd haul his butt OFF the other dog and let him know it was NOT acceptable.

The more he gets away with it, the more he's going to do it.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

humping is normal but i never heard of them biting the neck while they do it, cats do that lol

maybe he was trying to prevent the dog from moving?
pets4life is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

pets, my chickens do it as well..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't know if he was really biting the guys neck. Thank you for your comments. I am trying to get this under control. It is very difficult though if he or other dogs are lose and staying in close. I will continue my work.

The neighbors comment just gets me because same dog used to try to hump my old Aussie all the time and he would say no and then we meet on the trails the next day and he would do it again...

Anyway, I rant, I know in the end I have to get this under control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.