Could he be mad at us for leaving? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Could he be mad at us for leaving?

Hello, need help with our male 2-3 yo Shepherd. We got him Labor day weekend and he was potty trained and so very well behaved. We went out of town in late Sept and had pet sitters come to the house to let the dogs out. We got home early while the pet sitter was here and there was urine and poop (solid) all over the den floor. Big house and you can smell it the second we walked in the door. Now, I must tell you that this dog has attached himself to my husband, and my husband did not come home with us because he was on his way to a business trip. My daughter and I go out to eat and come home and the dog did it again! There have been several other times he's messed on the floor not long after being outside. My husband refuses to crate. This dog is our 4th rescued dog and we have never had this much trouble before. It's throwing a rock into family outings. We've had his urine checked and the PH was a little high so we are giving him Vit C pills. We think he was left outside in his last homes because his elbows are callused pretty bad. Need help!
Thanks
StephanieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No he's not mad at you for leaving. Dogs aren't capable of thinking like that and planning advanced acts of revenge. The dog isn't house trained, the pet sitter either didn't come often enough or at all, and the dog learned to relieve himself in the house and it happened often enough to become a habit. Dogs naturally become a bit anxious when the family leaves and the increased activity as a result causes increased urination and defecation. You don't need to crate. You can continue to clean up the crap in the house instead.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you actually walk your dog or just let him out in the back yard?

I would suggest long walks 2-3x a day, you can monitor your dog's output and he will also get some mental stimulation. We don't have a yard, but yet we never had inappropriate bathroom habits, only if our dog had a serious illness.

Also, who recommended the vit C, the vet? Just asking because generally dogs do not need supplemental vitC, they make their own.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Another good thing to note. Whenever I get a new adult dog even if they already "know" stuff like potty training and tricks I reteach everything and treat them like they don't know anything. It is probably a habit you want to get into.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Also, callouses can be from lying inside as well. My pup has them because of the way he rests in his crate. He can't have a bed as he is a mega chewer.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.