Too Rough Mouthing & Off Leash Skills 1 Year - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too Rough Mouthing & Off Leash Skills 1 Year

Hi All,

I am brand new to this forum - also pretty new to dog ownership.
Atlas is my first dog ever - yup, I realize I took a big leap! However, I am doing my best to be a very educated owner and also working hard to ensure my dog is well trained and well behaved. I'd appreciate any constructive advice you can give!

Atlas is a rescue - we live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories in Canada. He is about 1 year old - and he's likely a GSD and Husky mix - tall and large!
I have had him since early August (about 5 months). He is very docile for his age and a very social and friendly dog. Can't wait to meet other people and dogs - and likes to sleep on his back legs in the air. He is very calm in the house and mostly on leash - sits, lies down, rolls over, shakes paw, high fives. He jumps occasionally, but stops when asked. I don't know much about his first 6 months of life, although I am confident he was not maltreated as he came from a small arctic community and shows no signs of timidness or any real aggression.

He gets about 2 hours of exercise each day (40 min walk in AM, 1.5 hour walk in PM, short walk at night). We live in a place with no back yard, but I work from home so I can pay attention to him during the day with short play sessions.

I have two issues I'd like advice on:
1) Biting - I am not one to enjoy mouthing or engage in play-biting. Whenever Atlas puts his teeth on me, I say ouch or no and stop the interaction. He knows now that he cannot mouth with me.
However, he does try it with other people - often, including nipping passersby as they greet him, or nipping mittens. Occasionally, he has chomped accidentally when he gets too excited. What should I do to curb his mouthing with strangers/other people?

2) Off leash skills - he started with 85% off leash recall. Now he's at more of about 30%. I want him to be able to run and enjoy himself in our many safe off leash areas, but I also want him to come back and not learn bad habits. If I call and he doesn't come, I usually continue walking and start to leave the park. He will come when it's clear I am leaving. If there are other dogs he is friends with, he will come when they are called. He also comes sometimes when called but takes his time. I have tried carrying treats with me (out of sight) and rewarding when he has a speedy return - however this doesn't outweigh his desire to play with other dogs or run around like a crazy dog in the bushes.
Advice on re-working my off leash training style to ensure a better behaved dog in the future?

Thanks for any help you can give!
clairefransmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For the mouthing, I find it helps to redirect with a toy (the soft squeaky kind) and praise the dog for taking it. When he mouths other people, just ask them to put their hands in their pockets. For the nipping at people who go by, well, I think he has too much freedom - so I would keep him on heel when going by other people so he can't reach out and nip. When you stop to talk to people, have Atlas sit by your side. For the off leash - Atlas needs an incentive to come back and treats don't always do it. You can start with a long line so that way he can't get away from you. You also can train him with an e-collar. There are some helpful threads on teaching recall and using an e-collar. If you aren't doing it already, I also suggest you play tug with him and let him end up winning. That will help to satisfy his prey drive and bond with you. If you have a trainer and/or training classes in your area, you may want to look into taking classes or having private lessons.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

GSD's can be WAY more mouthy and biting then other breeds, have you seen this for help? ---> Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

Are you able to sign up and attend any dog classes? SUCH a help with bonding and leadership and getting your pup to understand what we want. Are you using food/treats and rewarding 100% of the time when he comes (and let him go) and then when he comes (and then let him go).

If we have them come and then always leash up, or go in the house we are 'punishing' them for the 'come' so they stop doing it. If, instead, we REWARD them by the food AND letting them go free again then they are more likely to do what we want.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm not sure that huskies are known for their recall. It may be an ongoing issue with him.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Welcome to the forum!

GSD's can be WAY more mouthy and biting then other breeds, have you seen this for help? ---> Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

Are you able to sign up and attend any dog classes? SUCH a help with bonding and leadership and getting your pup to understand what we want. Are you using food/treats and rewarding 100% of the time when he comes (and let him go) and then when he comes (and then let him go).

If we have them come and then always leash up, or go in the house we are 'punishing' them for the 'come' so they stop doing it. If, instead, we REWARD them by the food AND letting them go free again then they are more likely to do what we want.

Maggie that was a great explaination of the dogs view!
Im going to work on this myself.

Claire, WELCOME!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
crazyboutashepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I'm not sure that huskies are known for their recall. It may be an ongoing issue with him.
I wondered about that also depending how much husky Atlas has. I had a husky and she was not at all reliable on her recall. I asked a husky breeder for ideas on training recall - and she said "it is out the door they go" and suggested I have a fenced in backyard and for walks keep my dog on leash. I can see Maggie's point on the treats and consistently rewarding but for my Sting who has a high drive, and my aussie did (he was given to me because he was not trustworthy off leash) and my husky - the treats weren't enough to entice them back - I could have been holding a raw steak and they would still want to chase after the other dog, deer, and come back when they felt like it.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

pretty sure there is no such thing as a husky with a solid recall using positive methods. huskies are known to wander off to explore the world.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
pretty sure there is no such thing as a husky with a solid recall using positive methods. huskies are known to wander off to explore the world.
Hey, but the 1/2 GSD will give them a chance!!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
Having owned a husky with awesome recall, and met a few others, it is possible, but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are REALLY confident in your training. Also, while I had A husky with good recall... I also had two others, and a couple of mixes that I couldn't trust offleash, so take my anecdata as you will.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Its true that huskies take a lot of work to have a solid recall, but we ourselves have a few that are reliable off leash. Its all training, and if your dog is part GSD, theres a good chance that if you keep working him, he'll get to the reliable recall you want. However, bear in mind if you are going to be walking in the woods or something, that a husky's prey drive is one of the highest there is. Any dog can be trained to do what you want, if you are dedicated enough, but sometimes huskies (I call it slipping) "Slip" into a kind of wolfish state when presented by prey, so they can't even hear you. Its scary when it happens, so be sure you prepare for this type of thing, and always be on the lookout. If there is a chance of running into something you don't want your dog to chase, be careful! Do you have a remote trainer? It might help with the recall as well. As for the biting, I'll hang around to see what more knowledgeable people say!
Good luck! Sounds like you have a good dog to me!
+ Donkey, more dogs, chickens, goats, cats and more dogs!!
PhoenixGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.