Added new GSD to home, trouble adjusting- help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Added new GSD to home, trouble adjusting- help!

We were given a male working line GSD because the owner could no longer keep him due to health reasons. His, not the dog. He is trained, is a good dog. I was concerned about my cats and was told he was trained to ignore cats. He's had some protection training, guess that's where ignoring the cats come in.

He fits in well, gets along with our female GSD, but hates the cats. They are living in seclusion, and I'm afraid it's a matter of time. I had one in my lap just so he could get used to it, it hissed, he tried to mouth it. Normally, the cat would teach a dog it is boss and all is well. Not now. He will see them over the baby gate and bark, loudly. I cover the gate with a blanket, but he can see over. I kennel him and he goes ape. I know he's new and adjusting. It's his 1 week here. Keeping him inside on lock down.

I don't want to fuss and correct him yet, I want this to be a fun time. After two weeks we will go to the SCH club to keep him busy. He's not a SCH dog, but has the training.

Any ideas on how to make this work? Other than the cats, he's doing good. He is about 7 years old. Thanks!
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boy was the same way with the cats, still is with one of them sometimes. It was the first thing we worked in. Lots if supervision and leave its non stop. My cats do not back down. In fact my one cat kicked the dogs butt a few days ago, got his nose real good. He hasn't learned it's not so bad that they are separated. They are able to sleep and drink together with no problems and I never thought I would see that day.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

We had a pit who hated cats. We tried to keep them separate, but one day in the front yard the cat and dog met. It did not end well for the cat.

My GSD puppy has been raised with my elderly cat. She is deaf, so barking does not phase her. He will herd her, and mouth her neck, but nothing close to killing her. On good days they will share the dog bed and he nuzzles up next to her.

You can try reenforce "leave it", but I would try to keep them separated.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your advices/opinions. I have also found some NILF information and 2 week lockdown information. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nice you found that on your own I was going to suggest it. Then you can start a desensitization/ counter conditioning program.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Waffle Iron

I would be of the opinion that isolating your dog from the cat creates anxiety and tension. It's telling your dog there is something wrong with the cat being there and it has to "stay away". So the dogs natural reaction is as you mentioned...

You have to let the dog see the cat and try to interact with it. If you see unwanted behavior, like aggression, mouthing, etc, then that is when you have to correct it by telling your dog "no!" or whatever command routine you have set up to indicate to your dog the behavior is unwanted.
Waffle Iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.