My dog has done a complete 180 help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My dog has done a complete 180 help!

I have a black German Shepherd who is about 2.5 years old. He had a few problems when I first got him over a year ago, but has been great (with a few exceptions) since. For the last 2 weeks he's been getting into EVERYTHING when we leave. Spices, garbage, recycling, mail, books....It happens in less than an hour and we give him plenty of other things to chew on including a Kong with kibble and peanut butter in it when we leave, so I really don't think it's boredom.

We also already follow all suggestions for preventing separation anxiety such as not making a big deal about leaving or coming home, he is also not allowed on any furniture or even in our room (because of the cat's things).

Nothing has changed recently. His food is the same (he does eat a bit less per the vet's recommendation) but that's been true for well over 6 months. He gets the same amount of exercise, same food, same meds, same everything! I have no idea what to do. We have a dog run 10x4 in the basement we have to lock him up in when we're gone now but I don't want that, he should be able to be loose-he has been for over a year.

Anyone have ANY ideas?!?!?! He doesn't do any of this when we're home, even when we're asleep-he's loose in the house when we're asleep and he's fine.

Thanks for reading!!!!!
applejack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejack View Post
I have a black German Shepherd who is about 2.5 years old. He had a few problems when I first got him over a year ago, but has been great (with a few exceptions) since. For the last 2 weeks he's been getting into EVERYTHING when we leave. Spices, garbage, recycling, mail, books....It happens in less than an hour and we give him plenty of other things to chew on including a Kong with kibble and peanut butter in it when we leave, so I really don't think it's boredom.

I have no idea what to do. We have a dog run 10x4 in the basement we have to lock him up in when we're gone now but I don't want that, he should be able to be loose-he has been for over a year.
!

Yes, it is boredom. The dog is not interested in what you leave him, and chooses to entertain himself.
He should be able to be loose, you say, but he is not.

Yes, you do have an idea what to do, but you say you do not want to do it.

Put him in the dog run. He will be just fine, and hopefully will not get himself into trouble. If he gets out and does it again , he needs to be crated. Chewing random things could be very dangerous.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

put things away or out of reach for him. start house training (no counter
surfing, no chewing on things, etc.). when you leave for any length of time
use the 10x4. don't feel bad about usuing it. you're keeping your dog
safe and your possessions safe by usuing it.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

I have 2 3yr old dogs, GSD and a Lab; both well trained in the house and both still crated when we are out.

Recently in the past few weeks, my GSD has been living up to his nickname in the home - troublemaker - by getting into the occasional thing even with me in the next room. Schedule changes have made it somewhat difficult to get in the amount of training and exercise he needs so he, being as creative as he is, found ways to use his mind by finding ways to entertain himself. I got his exercise back up to the level he needs and things settled back down.

For your dog, use the run; safer for him and your home. Up his exercise and training, you may think it is at a good level, but he is telling you different. I know with mine, the cooler weather has increased their energy level.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I agree I'd just put him in the crate to manage this for a few months.

In the meantime, join some more dog classes, plan more hikes/walks/socialization trips. Find ways to work with him more spending more ACTIVE time doing things with him. Not just quiet time being around him.

Good luck.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.