Advice - good or bad, dog loves the baby! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice - good or bad, dog loves the baby!

Hi,
I have a shepard mix (either lab or golden retreiver is the other half), Jack. Best dog i have ever had! He has always been intensely zeroed in on me even though I've perposely tried to have other people care for or direct him. No matter what I try, he only takes commands from me when I am home - if my kid or partner tries to let him outside he literally looks to me for approval or will go to the room I'm in for approval (weird).
I had a baby 2 weeks ago. Before having the baby we visited freinds with a toddler & 6mo old with Jack to test behavior & temperment. He did fine - he allowed the toddler to pull his ears even.

The baby has arrived & Jack is starting to drive me nuts. For the first 2-3days every sound the baby made caused concern in the dog & if he couldn't see the baby(my bed sits high) he would whine until allowed up or until the baby could be seen. Now he only get upset when the baby cried. The rest of the time Jack does check when the baby makes sounds in his sleep(the child is prob going to be a sleep talker someday) & frequently licks the baby's ears, toes, etc. he doesn't seem to try to get between me & the baby -he just wants to set his head next to the baby or be close.
Yesterday I was in the shower & my teenager left the baby to get a drink. When he returned to the room Jack had gotten up on my bed (never allowed to do) and had set his head on the lower half of the baby like he was trying to take a nap with the child. My son said Jack didn't do anything to even make the baby's rest disturbed.

Is this cause for concern? I have the distinct feeling that this kid will be guarded like Fort Knox when old enough to play in the yard I am glad there is no jelously, just constant concern. But it is getting annoying - will it get better with time? Should I look into some additional training of some sort?
My partner thinks Jack is veiwing the baby as a new puppy in the pack who must be spoiled & protected... I'm catching myself getting a short with the dog because of tripping, being i the way & such.
Any advice or advice that I should chill out are appreciated.
sam12587 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

umm, if my dog acted that way towards my baby i would watch
him closely. actually i would watch my dog closely and it wouldn't
matter how he behaved around my baby. i would never leave the
baby and the dog alone, never.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
umm, if my dog acted that way towards my baby i would watch
him closely. actually i would watch my dog closely and it wouldn't
matter how he behaved around my baby. i would never leave the
baby and the dog alone, never.
This
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your baby could be dead right now.

I know that is very harsh. An owner left a week-old baby on the bed and went to the kitchen and the pomeranian killed the baby. Killed it dead.

I know all the stories, and all the books, and all the movies like to show you these smart, loyal, faithful dogs that will lay down their lives for a small child or baby. But, there are also lots of stories where a new baby has been killed by dogs. Even GSDs. One baby was crying and the female GSD took the baby to its momma, and unfortunately the baby did not survive. BTW GSD bitches are wonderful mothers who take care of their babies the moment they squeak. But they are dogs.

The dog had NO business on the bed if he is not supposed to be on the bed.

I would crate the dog when I had to do something like take a shower or leave the room where the baby is. And I would have a talk with that teenager as well.

Some things you can't take back.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

What Selzer said...

I create a bubble around the baby that the dog is not allowed to enter, never allow excitement around the baby, and never ever leave the dog and baby unsupervised for a second. Any time the dog is around the baby it's on a leash and 100% supervised.

It's not worth the risk, even with a dog I know is great with kids. You never know what the baby might do.

In a few years, they can be best buddies and do everything together!

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

1 >>>>> you never know what the dog or the child is going to do.

2 >>>>> you don't know how the dog and child will interact
in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
What Selzer said...

I create a bubble around the baby that the dog is not allowed to enter, never allow excitement around the baby, and never ever leave the dog and baby unsupervised for a second. Any time the dog is around the baby it's on a leash and 100% supervised.

It's not worth the risk,

1 >>>>> even with a dog I know is great with kids. You never know what the baby might do.

2 >>>>> In a few years, they can be best buddies and do everything together!<<<<<

David Winners

Last edited by doggiedad; 12-02-2013 at 09:37 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Next time I'm going to post, I'll send it to you to proofread. You want them in pm or email?

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

While it may make a cute picture, I know Id never let any animal near my newborn baby. I've had three boys and always had animals but never alone. I get that it was a mistake (bed thing) but he could've caused baby to roll off and fall (something equally or more terrible could've happened). We had to find a new home for one of our cats because she literally attacked my two week old while I was breastfeeding him. While I understand the feeling of wanting them to bond, you need to remember that he's a dog. He doesn't think of your baby as a puppy. He sees him as a human and because of how tiny your baby is now, that could be a problem. Your dog could smother your baby while thinking he was just getting a cuddle. Honestly, Id crate him and any other dogs in the house while baby is not in your arms, highchair, swing, or his room with the door shut. Make sure your dog gets enough attention but he sounds almost obsessive about you. Maybe someone more experienced could offer better advice. Please be very careful. Congratulations on your new baby!

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I would actually disagree with all of the answers given. If you have had this dog for a long time and have seen it interact with other babies, I don't see a problem with letting the dog be near or even touch the baby. However, I would suggest better supervision in the future. Not only because of the potential dog risk, but because there will come a time when your baby can do something new, like roll over. If you aren't there they may roll over for the first time off the bed.

All that being said, I would let my GSD be around my newborn (assuming she wasn't jealous of it).

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A dog can very well view a baby as prey.
Very dangerous.

https://leerburg.com/dogs-babies.htm

http://www.pawinhanddogtraining.com/...akes_three.htm

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-02-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.