German Shepherds Forum banner

Why the heck is she shy is it cause shes a chick?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
I never had issues with my male shephard. Now my black shepherd. Totally different story no different book! We always have people at the house, we take her out to parks. And she always acts fearful...Arg... I feel like a bad owner. Im thinking.. do THEY think I never take her out and socialize her? At home someone comes over shes curious but would rather stay on my bed at the other end of the house. If I am in a different room where the company is in another she will sometimes come lay under my feet... How on earth do I get her out of this behavior and is it because she is a girl that all female dogs do this. This is the first time I have had a female dog before. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Not all females are like this, both mine like to investigate visitors. Tuke may even offer up her slimy ball for a game of fetch if she likes them. When they were younger they could be a little shy in some situations, but at 3 yrs they act like they've been there done that. Play games to build her confidence. Let her win at tug or parade around after winning a round with the flirt pole.

#4 ·
I have a 15 wk old gsd female and she doesn't really seem to be shy around people at all. She sees many people all the time. I work in a 13 dr 66 employee veterinary hospital and she's constantly being held, pet etc. sometimes I leAve her on the boarding side with other people. If I'm working in our wellness center she's typically close to me but still around multiple people all day. In our main hospital even more people and she's totally content. Being the freak mom that I am apparently she's had about 3 or 4 exams in the last 3 weeks since I got her. Hehe nothing wrong but just want to make sure. :) and it can't hurt for a veterinary exam to be normal for her. So I will say people she is fantastic with. However!, other(bigger in particular) dogs tend to freak her out until she's pushed into it and realizes she's fine. She still freaks out in my back yard (with a privacy fence) when neighbor dogs start barking. But she's getting better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
How on earth do I get her out of this behavior and is it because she is a girl that all female dogs do this.
No, all females are definitely not like that. Halo has always been very confident, even as a young puppy.

#6 · (Edited)
GSD is a breed of dogs in whom the pack instincts are very prominent. GSD puppy wouldn't run to other people or dogs to lick their cheeks, she will stay with you and watch your reaction to a new stranger . Demonstrate to her your qualities as a leader and stroke her, calm her down first.You should show her examples of behavior: touch yourself with your hand, and then the other party - boy/man/dog/puppy - with the gently pronounced words "It's OK" and see what sort of responce it would be from your dog. It is typical to many young females to exhibit shyness. That is so, because they don't feel being a part of the pack. Later in her age she will start showing her protective abilities instead of turning shy, again, don't forget to give her permissive command "OK!" (she would know already), when it's ok for her to jump and bark and play. And, her loyalty must keep her close to you in all other cases.

#8 ·
I disagree with this. Do not coddle her when she acts shy or fearful. This will only encourage this behavior. My advice is to just ignore her when she is being shy. Spend time with your guests and don't worry about the dog. She is a product of her genetics. You are not a bad owner. Let her find a place in the house where she feels secure and leave her alone. If she is curious about what she is missing out on she will come and investigate.

#9 ·
It sounds like a fearful temperament. I don't think it is relative to who is bringing up the dog. But depending on how you deal with it it can get better over time.

You need to have patience and go a bit slower with her. My female non gsd was fearful too but was also human aggressive. What you have sounds fearful submissive which would be more easy to deal with i think.

Ask the visitors to not touch, no talk, no eye contact until she has gotten there scent and accepts them and actually comes to them looking for attention. Use you body language to show her you are in control and she is safe with you. When you shake peoples hands you can give the scent to the dog and she can start learning who people are, and associate a scent with there voice.

You do have to treat her differently to your other dog and find ways to make her more confident. She may benefit from training, obedience, tracking, tug, ball games, swimming, cycling. Bring her to the park and just sit there and let her see the world go by and maybe she'll relax and accept more.

Don't be harsh with her at all. I found my girl got better after 2nd heat and now is a good dog.

#10 ·
I agree with Robk not to coddle a shy dog but you can take her out from under the chair and check her tail and relax her. If the tail is pinned under her belly you can take it out and relax the muscles around her back by massaging. Fearful dogs can be gripped by too much tension and releasing this can help imo.

#13 ·
OP check the book "Dont give upon that pup" its about a GSD male puppy. Great book, I has it on my kindle. Its all about a GSD owner and her puppy who had fear issues. Gender doesnt seem to be apart of the issues for fear.

#14 ·
We have people over all the time and she goes crazy barking and then she runs and hides or goes wild around the house. If she gets to spastic I put her in her kennel. I have had a couple people come over though and they get right down on the floor and call her and she goes up to them. I also had another person come by and after he got down to her she came up to him and then when we were talking she went over to him and wanted him to pet her. He was an animal enthusiast. Any animal enthusiasts she seems to sense it and those are the ones she has the least problems with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.