Why the heck is she shy is it cause shes a chick? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
GSD is a breed of dogs in whom the pack instincts are very prominent. GSD puppy wouldn't run to other people or dogs to lick their cheeks, she will stay with you and watch your reaction to a new stranger . Demonstrate to her your qualities as a leader and stroke her, calm her down first.You should show her examples of behavior: touch yourself with your hand, and then the other party - boy/man/dog/puppy - with the gently pronounced words "It's OK" and see what sort of responce it would be from your dog. It is typical to many young females to exhibit shyness. That is so, because they don't feel being a part of the pack. Later in her age she will start showing her protective abilities instead of turning shy, again, don't forget to give her permissive command "OK!" (she would know already), when it's ok for her to jump and bark and play. And, her loyalty must keep her close to you in all other cases.
Gosh, David sometimes I think you take all the things most behaviorist and trainers would suggest and say," I'm going to tell everyone to do the opposite." Lol!

I agree with others, coddling, petting, and saying "it's okay" in a sing songy voice is only reinforcing the behavior and telling the dog,"I like it when you are fearful and shy." I ignore that kind of behavior. The dog reads you, but it reads you ignoring the other dogs, because they are nothing to fear. I also agree that this is just your dogs disposition and genetics. She is just genetically predisposed to be a little fearful. It's okay, as long as you don't let it turn into reactive fear aggression. I would suggest getting with a trainer that specializes in this behavior. And I also agree, it has nothing to do with being a "chick." That's like saying I should like the color pink because I have two X chromosomes, and I hate the color pink lol!
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
GSD is a breed of dogs in whom the pack instincts are very prominent. GSD puppy wouldn't run to other people or dogs to lick their cheeks, she will stay with you and watch your reaction to a new stranger . Demonstrate to her your qualities as a leader and stroke her, calm her down first.You should show her examples of behavior: touch yourself with your hand, and then the other party - boy/man/dog/puppy - with the gently pronounced words "It's OK" and see what sort of responce it would be from your dog. It is typical to many young females to exhibit shyness. That is so, because they don't feel being a part of the pack. Later in her age she will start showing her protective abilities instead of turning shy, again, don't forget to give her permissive command "OK!" (she would know already), when it's ok for her to jump and bark and play. And, her loyalty must keep her close to you in all other cases.
This is strange and an unfavorable course of action IMHO.

My "shy dog" therapy takes place in Wal-Mart parking lot. I take the dog, her crate, a folding chair, some water, and a bag of treats. I start way away from the door and all the scary people. I sit in the chair with the crate next to me with the door open do the dog can go in the crate. I mark and reward confident behaviors, like the dog checking out a car on the way by, or investigating a stranger at a distance. Whenever the dog is fearful, ignore it. Let her move to her crate if it helps her feel more secure. As the dog shows more confidence, I move gradually closer to the door, over several days or weeks, encouraging people to give her treats as she becomes more comfortable around strangers.

Pretty soon your puppy is the new greeter at Wal-Mart, and strangers are treat dispensing machines.

Many police and military working dogs are female GSDs. Her sex has nothing to do with confidence.

All this is just my way of helping shy dogs. YMMV

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OP check the book "Dont give upon that pup" its about a GSD male puppy. Great book, I has it on my kindle. Its all about a GSD owner and her puppy who had fear issues. Gender doesnt seem to be apart of the issues for fear.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

We have people over all the time and she goes crazy barking and then she runs and hides or goes wild around the house. If she gets to spastic I put her in her kennel. I have had a couple people come over though and they get right down on the floor and call her and she goes up to them. I also had another person come by and after he got down to her she came up to him and then when we were talking she went over to him and wanted him to pet her. He was an animal enthusiast. Any animal enthusiasts she seems to sense it and those are the ones she has the least problems with.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I disagree with this. Do not coddle her when she acts shy or fearful. This will only encourage this behavior. My advice is to just ignore her when she is being shy. Spend time with your guests and don't worry about the dog. She is a product of her genetics. You are not a bad owner. Let her find a place in the house where she feels secure and leave her alone. If she is curious about what she is missing out on she will come and investigate.
Well I'm not a pro just a "Pet person" but I agree with the disagreement here!

My guy had "people issues" don't know if it was fear or aggression but he gave me the impression that he was gonna bite the crap out of someone,if given the chance!

I did this:
Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog
I kept people out of his face, he did not have to like anyone but he did have to be civil! He turned out just fine.

This I never did but I think it could prove of value with this dog?
**Selzer** Sitting On The Dog
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
This is strange and an unfavorable course of action IMHO.

My "shy dog" therapy takes place in Wal-Mart parking lot. I take the dog, her crate, a folding chair, some water, and a bag of treats. I start way away from the door and all the scary people. I sit in the chair with the crate next to me with the door open do the dog can go in the crate. I mark and reward confident behaviors, like the dog checking out a car on the way by, or investigating a stranger at a distance. Whenever the dog is fearful, ignore it. Let her move to her crate if it helps her feel more secure. As the dog shows more confidence, I move gradually closer to the door, over several days or weeks, encouraging people to give her treats as she becomes more comfortable around strangers.

Pretty soon your puppy is the new greeter at Wal-Mart, and strangers are treat dispensing machines.

Many police and military working dogs are female GSDs. Her sex has nothing to do with confidence.

All this is just my way of helping shy dogs. YMMV

David Winners
Hey I like this! I think it's especially valuable advice for those us who live in areas with low population density!

I had to do a lot of walking with "Who Pets my Puppy or Dog!" On a good day I could hopefully run across one or two folks for my guy to ignore!

Thanks!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.