Does anyone own 2 female GSD's? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree it wont always work out bad but when it turns out bad it really turns out bad from what I have seen. ALso Noticed like selzer said things are fine until both bitches are totally mature. They can even be bff until then. When they do decide to fight for real and you are by yourself what a horrible situation. I have heard of people on other forums having 2 female shepherds face locked having to throw them in the pool to break them up?

To the op what breed is your vet talking about? I find gsd when both females is much harder to work out than lets say a female gsd and a female pug would be. JMHO From what i have seen my dog will clash with female shepherds much faster than other breeds that are more mild mannered softer and more submissive.

My male samoyed was the best family dog i ever had growing up. A lot of other breeds will back off and just let them female shep be the queen. But like others said not all female shepherds have a high self importance just a lot do lol They just seem to like to be the number one female in the house and have their way. This premadonna type personality is why i like them so much. lol

Last edited by pets4life; 05-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

i have 2 females and a male here, with a visiting female every other weekend. it really depends on the dogs personalities and the owners.. all my females and the visiting one get along fine.. the male is the issue.. he doesnt play nice with others so he has to be monitored and separated when we leave.

i have had male/male/female dogs with female fosters and female/female/male dogs with female fosters and it really boils down to personalities. i have a dominant male here so all females i choose are more submissive to him and each other.. i prefer calmer less dominant females due to the dominant male here(male/.female can fight just as much as female/female or male/male)

you are better off with an Adult dog- what you see is what you get personality wise whereas a pup might not show right away its true personality. an adult dog is easier to read then a pup. i have had submissive pups mature into dominant dogs so it can go either way with a pup.
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0pusX View Post
Oh I'm sorry I didn't know there was an internet rule about how you can only address one topic in a thread. Better call the message board police.

I dont see what is so hard to grasp for you.

My current dog gets along with dogs but is shy around people.

I want to get her a companion to play with as well as POSSIBLY help her with her shyness around people. I.....guess.......that's confusing?!?!?

Regardless, if you aren't going to positively contribute to something stay out of it.
Yes, it was confusing. I don't understand how a new puppy will help an older dog become less shy with people. Many people chimed in and suggested that the older dog would influence the behavior of the new puppy.
My positive contribution is that you should make your original post more complete in the details of what you are trying to accomplish and how you are going about it.
I hope you are successful in making your 1 year old less shy. I have a shy dog and found that a great deal of socialization and exposure to people on
a daily basis worked. She started out quite shy and now is a friendly dog, happy to meet people. She is still somewhat shy of other dogs but will make
friends if she feels they are non-threatening.

Last edited by Pooky44; 05-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Pooky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0pusX View Post
Oh I'm sorry I didn't know there was an internet rule about how you can only address one topic in a thread. Better call the message board police.

I dont see what is so hard to grasp for you.

My current dog gets along with dogs but is shy around people.

I want to get her a companion to play with as well as POSSIBLY help her with her shyness around people. I.....guess.......that's confusing?!?!?

Regardless, if you aren't going to positively contribute to something stay out of it.
OpusX - this tone is not necessary - you don't correct another poster (who probably has been more positive than most in this thread) when they are simply asking for clarification. You post on a forum, you will get responses that vary.
Jean
Admin

As for the girls, which sounds like you trust what your vet says, girls reach maturity at 2-3 and that's when you know more of what your living situation will be like with them. To me, that's very important - whether or not they will enjoy each other in the long term. I have found female GSDs that are middle of the road or "lower" in terms of their delusions of grandeur, are easier to live together with than my mixes of the same level of grandeur, so at least there is that. My mixes though are more combative than GSDs - like someone said a couple of dogs bred to be lap dogs - literally - can make it easier. But a female GSD who thinks highly of herself and her status can be a handful to say the least!

Right now I have a young male dog with a strong social aspect to his temperament (appropriate for his breed mixes - would be an overly social GSD to my mind). I took him out alone, or with a social foster dog, for months before introducing outings where we would be around people with my pathologically (I say it in a loving way) frightened 9 year old female mix. I hoped in doing so that I would cement his reactions to people and also get him through the various fear stages he would be going through as a largely previously unsocialized dog, before he saw how she reacted to people. I also didn't want to make it totally his job to "take care" of her, because that would take some of his fun out of things, and I need to be sure to be the being that my dog looks to for reassurance, because I have the monkey brain and the thumbs - and theoretically will lead her better than a dog who eats poop on occasion.

I personally would recommend this kind of protocol, in addition to working with your current dog, if you were to decide to get a younger dog. I've done more obedience with my 9 year old dog, which does ratchet up her confidence. I would still get a male, because multiple young females who get along can grow into females who do not.

I would also join this group: shy-k9s : shy-k9s if only to read the archives.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #35 (permalink)

Dear Admin and other members,

I believe there may be some misunderstanding in my two prior posts. When I say that somebody positively contributed to this thread I don't necessarily mean they agree with my potential decision to purchase another female GSD.

When I say someone positively contributes to the thread, I mean they constructively add information, whether it be positive or negative to my potential decision to have two female GSD's.

I got the feeling that people misunderstood me to mean someone that positively contributes to the thread would only be in agreement with my potential decision.

Actually to the contrary, I was in fact looking for both agreeable and not agreeable information to help me make my decision. I cherish and take to heart the information that was provided by all members that contributed with useful information to my request.

What I did not appreciate was somebody coming into the thread offering no constructive information or opinion at all but rather making a in-needed statement or an attempt to belittle the post as addressing more than one issue in the original post.

Again I think everyone that gave me both agreeable and non-agreeable information towards my original post.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone again and clarify what I meant by "positively "contributing to this post.

Thank you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
0pusX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There was an excellent point about what dog-breed or breeds your vet is familiar with. Many breeds and mixes of various breeds pack up better than GSDs do.

I think that you can make multiple females work, even with GSDs, if you have the right personality for that. I think you have to be a strong, fearless, and fair leader with plenty of energy to exercise the dogs, and committment to training. And everyone thinks they know dogs are dogs and not people, even people with foo foo dogs that they put tu tus on and let eat off of their fork think that they understand the dog is a dog and they are treating it like a dog, and more important, interpreting the dog's behaviors and body language with respect to their being a dog. But if you want two female GSDs, then you really have to be clear on this point. GSD bitches are fast, strong, merciless when fighting, don't know quit, they can show amazing patience, and they are very intelligent. In short, they can wait until the timing is right to go to town on the other female. People have literally come home to blood baths where one bitch was dead and the other bitch needed to be euthanized.

If a bitch does fight with the other, and a human gets bitten breaking them up, you have to be able to accept that this is the fault of the humans involved, not the dogs, and you cannot hold it against the dogs for chomping down on human flesh during such an situation.

Unfortunately, as often as not, people get two females, they start fighting, and the people are totally unequiped to manage them. They are unwilling or unable to crate/rotate; or they have kids, and it is dangerous to always have the possibility fo the dog fight, sometimes after witnessing the power and aggression their bitch is capable of, the owners may feel ill-equiped to manage the dog. And often this sums up to one or both females being rehomed or worse. I think the advice on this thread, for he most part, is given with the understanding that IF these bitches do decide to fight, they will be in a very precarious position.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
ALso Noticed like selzer said things are fine until both bitches are totally mature. They can even be bff until then. When they do decide to fight for real and you are by yourself what a horrible situation. I have heard of people on other forums having 2 female shepherds face locked having to throw them in the pool to break them up?
I've been here. 2 girls that were BFF's all of the time. Did everything together. Played all of the time. Then one day everything switched. Getting them apart was disastrous.

Luckily, we live in Alaska and it was around zero degrees, so I had a lot of clothes on. I just fell on the fight and worked until I ended it. No major damage, I had a couple of real good bite bruises.

We keep fire extinguishers around in case there was ever a fight again.

It's hormones. Not dangerous or aggressive dogs. Just hormones.

Males, I think, are easier, but I LOVE my females.

Good luck picking out your pup!

Go here to see more pictures of my german shepherd puppies!

Last edited by Joshlaska; 05-06-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Joshlaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Those who have seen two females fight will tell you there is nothing like it. I had a bitch fight when I was in another country - a stray female in heat sneaked in when someone left the gate open and another female (I knew was bitch aggressive) was out of the pens - they locked eyes and it was just like two freight trains colliding. I was punching my female to get her to unlock from the other - no chance - was like a vice grip. When we finally got her to out, it was like mangled meat - I found pieces of the other dog in my dog's fur - I will never forget it. I felt terrible - it was nobody's fault, but it happened and it will always be there with me.

Here's the funny thing about it - that female was the friendliest thing you ever saw as a pup. She *loved* all other dogs. Played with bitches, raised with bitches, lived alongside bitches...and suddenly at 2 years, she decided it was over and every other bitch had to die. Why? I don't know.

But this is how females can be. After that female and the incident with the stray, I take females very seriously. I don't let them free roam without supervision, I rarely let them together after they reach maturity (around 2 years), I don't expect females to get along (got three now, soon 4, all intact, one bitch aggressive, so I take this seriously), they are housed separately - I am realistic about the situation. I also would never house a new pup with a nervy older pup hoping for an improvement in nerve - concentrate on developing and maturing the older one properly - get a new dog when you are ready and when you need a new dog.

You have to be realistic and up to the realization that it might not always work out. This is why people are recommending a male - one that I would wait on till you are done training and socializing the current one further...
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

I've been watching this thread, and have a question. I didn't see it, but may have missed it being addressed. What is the effect if both girls are spayed, and if spaying early or later makes a difference? Does having one spayed make a difference?
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have had my spayed female mix and intact female get into a scuffle - only reason it didn't go further is because the spayed one backed down quickly - had to be separated after a year of no issues living together. To the point where the intact one would not walk by the spayed female in the crate without snarling and growling. The same intact female will frolic and play with any female out there with no problem on neutral outside ground. Only problem is she didn't tolerate that female any longer in her living area.

Depends on the dogs involved and how the relationship between them evolves...

Last edited by qbchottu; 05-06-2013 at 08:04 AM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.