Nervous, fearful working Mali - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Default Nervous, fearful working Mali

Often, I hear "The dog has it, or it does not"
Viper is a Mali that is very fearful, has poor nerves, but is already trained to work in a correctional facility. CM helps him socialize, but leaves me wondering: Would it be fair to keep him working for his original intent? It gets much worse than a skate park in a correctional facility, and this dog does not seem to have the nerves necessary for that work. Seems to me this is just another training and social issue to be worked through.

See the first 25 minutes.

Last edited by jae; 02-10-2013 at 05:00 PM.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, I think it would be fair to have Viper do the work he was trained for because Viper is now healed - he is free from his fears, he is no longer living in fear. Very inspiring video.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

What an awesome transformation for that dog, its quality of life will be so much better! and I definitely think that he should be used for work, its something hes great at and must enjoy. I think that after being rehabilitated that he's good to go, I dont think CM would bring him back if he wasnt ready. I'm sure with the more exposure, the better he'll be
KSoloniewicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Nope. Would not use him.

He has made a great transformation and everything shown in this video are methods I used on my own boy, however, just not the type of dog I'd use for work because to me, it's just not a reliable enough dog. If he's put into a situation that triggers his fear, how far is he going to be gone and how much is he going to bounce back?
Sometimes the dogs we bond with and love the most, are the ones not cut out for the job and it's something, everyone has to come to terms with.

Work him in obedience, tracking or even nosework. But not on a real job. Too much of a liability.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 02-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sweet boy. He seems much happier just hanging out with his pack mates. When he returned to his work environment I saw signs of nervousness: pacing and circling, eyes darting, returning to Cesar for comfort, waiting at a door to leave, etc. He may be able to return to doing the work he was trained for and tolerate being taken to strange noisy places, but I never saw him loving it. And notice they arranged it so he returned with his pack mates, to make his exit more enthusiastic, otherwise he might never have gotten out of the vehicle.
StephenV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.