What Age Did You Trust Your Kids With Your Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default What Age Did You Trust Your Kids With Your Dogs?

For those of you who have kids and dogs,what age were your kids before you trusted them alone together? I don't have kids,but do remember spending time unsupervised with the family dogs since I was 8.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

when you trust children and dogs alone you're asking for trouble
and when something happens it's "the dog blah, blah, blah,
the dog blah, blah.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
when you trust children and dogs alone you're asking for trouble
and when something happens it's "the dog blah, blah, blah,
the dog blah, blah.
My kids are a bigger threat to each others safety than my dogs will ever be.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default What Age Did You Trust Your Kids With Your Dogs?

I have a 7yr old and 12yr old. Both absolutely comfortable with my puppy, 5mo old. Puppy treats them as playmates but pretty gentle. Since they are all growing up together I trust them just fine. I had a GSD before my first kid was born and we had to introduce the baby to an adult dog. I was careful but never had any issues, didn't leave the dog unattended with baby, not until my son was 7 but by then the dog was getting too old to care for a playmate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Draco's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My son was about 5. My nieces and nephew were about the same age, maybe even younger. My youngest niece gets up early in the morning just so she could be with the dogs. And trying to get her to sleep at night was a nightmare, she always wanted to be with the dogs. My oldest dog used to steal my one nieces bottles and make her cry. Just this past year when my mom was sick, my youngest niece entertained herself with the dogs outside...she gave the golden a mohawk and the GSD got lots of training with treats. All kids in our family are taught to respect and love dogs. I have never seen any of them tease, pull the dogs ears, tail, etc...its not allowed. People might think I'm crazy but I trust all of my dogs 150% with kids...they are all good tempered, don't resource guard, and love kids. I will say that if anything ever happened to one of the kids I would look at the kids before the dogs as to why it happened.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not talking about leaving a toddler or infant alone with a dog. I think once a kid gets to be a certain age,you shouldn't have to constantly supervise them with the dogs.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My parents left me alone with our GSD/Rottie mix at about 6 or 7 years old. Before that, we were mildly supervised. If I pulled on the dogs' ears or tail I got my fingers "flicked" and I was told to not do that. Finn was left alone around a 3 yr old, 7 yr old, and a 12 yr old with no issues. While I didn't leave the infant we were taking care of alone for extended periods of time alone with him, I didn't fear leaving her in her crib or playpen, or even in her carseat on the floor if I was running out the room for a moment. The crying didn't bother him and he could've cared less that she was there. It wasn't uncommon to find him laying on the floor well away from her. He had complete access to her and if we were around, he would lay next to her. He did have his puppy years with all of the kids, so I'm not suprised that he could've cared less.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Depends on the child. I did work with my kids and the dogs and made sure the dog obeyed their commands, could be fed and watered, the kids could make the dog drop a toy etc. That is the dog respected the child without me being in the room. I would say 10 -11 for mine...though I think younger would have been safer.

But I did not let them walk the dogs until much later mainly because of the idiots with their loose dogs. ......

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My son is 3 and my daughter is 5. My son will turn 4 about the time my husband gets home from this deployment. Shasta has never not been around kids and Riley isn't with us anymore. We've never had any problems. Riley "adopted" my daughter as his favorite between the two and Shasta doesnt care. My kids treat the dogs with respect. Being a stay at home mom, the kids are always around the dogs anyway and i'm in the room 9 times out of 10 because everyone seems to think they need to be exactly where I am at all times.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Outside of the house, don't trust my younger siblings at all. Inside, I supervise interactions with my 7 YO brother, mainly because he's a tiny little boy with frantic movements and sticky hands all the time. My 11 YO sister takes care of pup when I am at work, and can be trusted in the house/yard with the dog unsupervised.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.