SPIN OFF: What if you have a pair (female/male) and want to add a 3rd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default SPIN OFF: What if you have a pair (female/male) and want to add a 3rd?

Always curious what others think on these sort of things..

Spinning off the other thread about males living together... what happens if you have a male/female that are excellent with one another.. but want to add in another.

I have a very spunky female, who is quite dominant and don't think I would get another female until she is much older.. but I also have a intact male at home as well...

For those who already have the female/male and want another... what gender would you go with?

__________________________________________________ _________

For me -

I would go with a male because my female is pretty dominant and 'lively'. Having 2 high energy, high drive, pretty hard females in the house probably wouldn't be ideal for me.

My male is a bit more laid back, excellent with puppies of either gender and is okay with other males he has grown up with. If they get to rough with one another, sometimes it can escalate but never to the point where a verbal "enough" couldn't handle.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can you link me to the previous thread? I'd love to read about the males living together since I have three boys...

I can't add much to this thread, though.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What are your experiences with having two intact males?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Knowing my two, I would probably get another male But it really doesn't matter to me either way

Jazzy has little interest in other dogs, but Delgado loves other dogs so I would get one that meshes with him. He plays with both males and females but he's a pretty rough and tumble player so he seems to play best with other males. But if I found a female that would fit into our pack I would go with her.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My two older ones are male and female and I got a second female. It worked out well, because my GSD is very good tempered and the older female is about 7 years older then the GSD. I will add a fourth dog and it will be a male. I won't push adding a third female. All of mine are good tempered.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it really depends on the dogs you already have.
I think in your case Elisabeth, a male would work better because Zefra is dominant.
For my situation, there is no way I could add any more to my pack without it upsetting the dynamics. I would love to foster, but can't with the current dogs I have.
Some dogs just go with the flow of in and out revolving door visitor canines, I wish I had that with my dogs! I give credit to the people who constantly foster and have dogs that just get along
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

i have a male/female combo. both speutered. the female gets along with every dog male or female. the male is VERY selective with both sexes and is not easy with other dogs(DA). i have a female lab that my boyfriend owns who luckily is very easy going, and with slow intros she can now spend weekends here and extended visits.. i still have to separate these two though when i am not here. when he was younger i fostered and had 2 fosters all the time, now as he is older he is less tolerant of other dogs , so i cant add any dogs or foster until he is gone. i wont upset the dynamics in these two either
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just get what I feel like getting. I don't really expect all of my dogs to get along. They get limited play time together here and there, but I don't need them to get along 24/7 free roam in the house. One female is spayed and rest are all intact.

Recently got a female pup - now that my fosters are all gone, I had 2 permanent females and a male, but that didn't fact into my decision making. I wanted a nice female cause that's what I wanted - was not based on my other dogs at all.

Same goes for any fosters or temps. If they get along with the permanent dogs, that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too. I don't expect all dogs to get along and have the resources to separate as needed.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For me - I get what I want - BUT - do factor in my other dogs because I live a life that includes all of them.

I enjoy hiking with them, bringing them on day outtings, traveling with them and just hanging out in the house. I like that they can get along and play and enjoy one another.

If something were to happen where they stopped getting along then I would crate and rotate and put barriers up, but I want to stack the odds in my favour.

But, that is just how I want to live.

I first and foremost get a dog that I hope has the characteristics that I want (ie. working companion) and then hope that I have made the choice in them getting along easier to deal with (ie. one gender vs. another).
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I prefer male dogs so I would likely get another male but as others have said, it would really depend on the dogs currently in the home.

I have 2 females right now. Holly lived with us from 5 months to 11 months and then was away from 11 months to 16 months. I was worried bringing her back because Raven had shown that she was no longer tolerant of other females. I am very lucky that Raven has decided that Holly is "her" puppy but she is not even 2 yet so I still keep an eye on them in case it changes.

Everyone in this house is altered. Females were spayed at 6 months, Male neutered at 1 yr.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.